In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

HappyNanoq, or...anyone

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited May 2003 in General Discussion
Years ago, maybe twenty, we used to buy bacon in a can.

Maybe? one pound if I remember right, and they were tall and narrow like a can of asparagus. Seems to me it was KMart that sold them. Really good bacon. Can't locate it anywhere.

I'm almost certain they were imported from Denmark. Is it available in your area?

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I remember that bacon, I worked At Milgrams food store in Independence missouri, back in the early 50,s and we had it in stock,
    Golly havent seen that stuff in years..

Pepe_stand3.jpg

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows"
    BIG DOG
    wheelie.gif
  • Options
    HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    I remember some cans of bacon from a while back, please keep in mind, I'm only 26.

I think I remember BIIIG cans of bacon, but I haven't seen that for a long time.
    Now the bacon comes sliced in plastic vacuumpacked packages.
    And cans are not nearly that big anymore - not where I shop anyways.

But maybe they still make them for restaurants, or some kind of big kitchens.

We did however usually buy half or a whole pig and have a retired butcher come by and take care of it - bag it and freeze it.
    Never had much use for canned meat or bacon - always had fresh meat on storage.

Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • Options
    outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Cans we're talking about Happy were smaller, maybe 3"X 8" tall. Plenty of fresh meat in Texas and Missouri too, and those of us who grew up in the country butchered our own. But the cans stored well for the deer camp, canoe trips and back-up storage. Another thing, it was damn good bacon.

Since you guys are well involved with Denmark I was hoping it might be available in some stores there. Must be a reason why they no longer import, probably politics or maybe even pork prices.

Classic, guess you grew up in MO? That's beautiful country, how did you end up in Florida? Wouldn't think you retired there while in the army, sunshine draw you there? Maybe you were hunting Canadians? [;)]