In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Another...public thank you to dheffley !

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Most everyone here has figured out that Danny really is a super person, those that haven't, are missin' the boat!

Chris/maggiethecat is the one that helped us meet, the two of them have been friends for a while. I think the world of Chris as well, almost like a (much) younger brother, and I know Danny feels the same way about maggie.

Anyway, some will remember that Chris, Danny and I went up to Nunn's home for a visit when David was having a few personal problems last year. HMmmm, guess I better say we also like Nunn huh? [;)]

For an old battle tested Marine, Danny has a heart so big it's a wonder he can get his shirt on. Well, last week I posted that my dad was having his 89th birthday this week and I was driving to Houston to hug his neck. Danny picked up on it and sent dad a birthday card.

That was kind, but folks, he also wrote a two-page letter that brought tears to everyones eyes that read it. And it was read out loud several times at dinner Tuesday night. My stepmothers son, who is a preacher, was there and got emotional. My sis, married to an ex-FBI now worldwide private investigator/millionaire was tore up and so was the bro-in-law. All of us, sat there with wet eyes and yet smiled.

You're one of a kind Danny my friend, and I'll never forget the joy you brought to the family! I'm in your debt forever.

I won't print the letter here, but suffice it to say, the words brought happiness to my dad and family. Growing up in the back-country we all share the same heritage, your family and mine. Those men are passing, not enough old-timers like 'em left. Just wish I could have met your dad as well, shook his hand and express what a fine son he raised.

I'm sure, in fact I know, your dad and mine could have broke horses together, worked fences in the Texas heat, shared campfires and such and talked way into the night, all the time knowing they could depend on each other no matter what the next hard day brought. As you said, men who helped make Texas what it is.

THANKS Danny! You helped make hid 89th a great one!

Comments

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A great tribute to both.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thanks Jerry, but all the honor goes to your dad. I don't know about you, but it took me less than 15 minutes to know what kind of man you were, and that told me what kind of parents you had. Those old folks did well teaching us right from wrong, and how to be honorable men. They don't get near the respect they are due.

I'm glad your dad enjoyed the letter, and I hope he knows I meant every word. Maybe someday I can meet him too.

For those who have heard stories of Texas and Texan's, Jerry's dad is one of the old timers who made this great state and this great country what it is. I think Paboogers dad Poppy is another. Great men are those you will never read about in the history books.

To you young folks, be a great dad and put your family first!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Thanks Don!

Danny,
    if you see this give me a phone call, or I'll try you after while. Bert/Highball is coming to Dallas tomorrow for the state gun show at Mesquite. I can't get there until afternoon, if then, but intend to if at all possible. I'll give Nunn a call on his cell today since he should be on duty. Maybe he can get down as well.

Two GB get-togethers in one week! Like Christmas and Turkey Day back to back! [:D]