In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Texas Update...reporting in

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Well, made it home at 3am this morning after the visit with my dad and the GB Mafia members around Lake Livingston.

For those that didn't see the post before I left, he's 89 today and I'm happy to say in really good shape considering he's lived at least nine lives! More on dad at another post to thank member dheffley for his friendship and good will!

Howard/Two Dogs, Dusty/Chevyman Texas and I had dinner together back in Oct. '03. Great guys, no bs, really consider them close friends after that one meeting and a few phone conversations.

Last night we met again at Shrimpboat Manny's in Livingston. Great Texas seafood/Cajun style and true east Texas sorta place. The whole area is dry! But, you can bring in your own ice chest!!! Plenty of MGB to go with the hot and spicy food! And it IS good.

An added treat, Tideman/Randy (busted transmission and all) drove well over two hours to meet us as well for the first time. Then surprized us by bringing his wife Sharon/QB. She's a member here also but doesn't post a lot.

First thought was ...a wife at a bs drinkin' get together for the boys huh. I assure you the others will repeat the sentiment in their own words. That girl is a winner! Fit right in, teasin' and bein' teased, part of the gang right off.

We talked guns and told dirty jokes, Tide told the waitress he had just met QB two days ago and then got married yesterday. We left, when they closed...
and the whole place wished them a happy marriage! [:D]

Of course we talked about a bunch of you guys...
"mostly" good comments [;)], and really enjoyed ourselves.

It's been said here many times now,
this bunch of gun nuts, and I'm talkin' everyone at GB, are really
some special people. Amazing how easy it is to go from an introduction to a feeling of having known each other for years...
and all in just a few minutes.

Can't wait to meet more of ya![^]

Comments

• FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like you guys had a blast[8D]. Wished more of us could have been there[:(][:(]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Wish I coulda been there.
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    FrOg,
    ya gotta meet up with us one of these days. I've met nine members so far and counting, believe Highball is coming into town this weekend for a gun show. Wanna drive to Mesquite!

Shooter,
    we talked about you and a few more of them northern folks as well!
    You know you're welcome in my home anytime you can get back down here.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I guess the next time we go to Livingston to visit with the mother-in-law I'll have to look some people up!!!!!!!!

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a wonderful time, the only problem is that the visits never last long enough! One of these days were gonna have to eat and then go out to a bar and really tell some lies! Tideman and QB are wonderful people to meet, feel like i have known the whole bunch for years. QB is a wonderful woman and i still wanna trade out with Tideman . Gonna do some business with TwoDogs later on and maybe one of these days i will get to wet a hook with outdoortexas, I think i might be able to show him how to actually catch a dam fish! But you know what they say about guys who drive expensive sport cars and ride around the lake with fancy boats? They are anatomicly lacking! HAHAHAHAAH just jokin outdoor!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a blast! Hope I can join you guys next time! Welcome back Jerry. Hope dad's birthday was great!

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good trip all round. Met some good folk, dad had a good birthday, and you made it home safe. What more could you ask for? Except a little more time.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I agree!!! wish I could have been there!! Next year Im gonna make it down come hell or high water!!!

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by outdoortexas
    FrOg,
    ya gotta meet up with us one of these days. I've met nine members so far and counting, believe Highball is coming into town this weekend for a gun show. Wanna drive to Mesquite!

Outdoor, you're breaking my heart[:p][:(][:(]. I'm stationed in DC and make it down to dallas for a few weeks in the summer, and a few more in the winter. So I can't meet with yall regularly.

Don't count me out though. I would love to get together. I believe my next leave is in June. Where are you outdoor. I have in laws in Irving and my parents live in Dallas (635 and 35).

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Outdoor, Chevyman, Qb, and Tideman....
    It was great..enjoyed the grub and company..
    The rest of ya'll come on down..
    Anyone comin to the Houston guns show..(Reliant Center) come by...I'll be at B6...

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • kenneth and melissakenneth and melissa Member Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is the show the 21st and 22nd ? Last i checked it was. (big town)[:D]quote:Originally posted by outdoortexas
    FrOg,

Shooter,
    we talked about you and a few more of them northern folks as well!
    You know you're welcome in my home anytime you can get back down here.

Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let people have guns ...why should we let them have ideas? --Joseph Stalin
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ken and melissa , I would attempt to answer that question for you but i am very afraid that i would get the DATE wrong!! But i thought TWODOGS said it was gonna be THIS weekend.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    K and M
    This weekend is the larger Houston Gun collectors show at the Reliant center...(old Astrohall)
    Not sure which show your refereing to...we have one about every 20 minute's here.

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    ALERT FROM JEWS FOR THE PRESERVATION OF FIREARMS OWNERSHIP
    America's Aggressive Civil Rights Organization
    (You are receiving this message because you requested JPFO Alerts
    Subscribe/UnSubscribe instructions near the end of the message)

February 2, 2004

JPFO ALERT to Supporters Near Dallas, TX

If you live near Dallas, Texas, then come on down to the Texas
    State Rifle Association's annual meeting, Sat-Sun, February 7-8,
    at the Mesquite Rodeo Convention Center.

Richard Stevens, Creative Consultant to Innocents Betrayed, and
    the Editor of the Bill of Rights Sentinel, will present excerpts
    and discuss Innocents Betrayed at 4 p.m. on Saturday, and again
    at 9:30 a.m. on Sunday.

The video and other JPFO books will be available for sale (and
    autograph) at the TSRA and the Second Amendment Sisters booths.

Location: Mesquite Convention Center, 1700 Rodeo Drive, Mesquite,
    Texas

Times: 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. both days.

Seminars all day. Sportmen's Spectacular gun show all day.

Click on www.tsra.com for more information,
    or call TSRA: (972) 889-8772 or (866) 897-4353

Meet Richard Stevens and discuss the future of our right to keep
    and bear arms.

The Liberty Crew
    edited November -1
    Where do I start? [;)]

punchie,
    you two need to give us a shout before heading this way so we can try to set up a meeting next time. Dusty and Howard live at the lake, Randy and Sharon are south of Houston but would bet they'll drive up to meet ya. I'm in Fort Worth, and would make every effort to head down that way for the opportunity.

pa,
    you know what I got to say to you...why so long? [;)]

pick and Danny,
    thanks again, it was a great trip, and as Dusty said, more time is the only thing that would have made it better.

FrOg,
    knew you were from Texas but didn't know you were stationed in DC. I'm on the far west side of FW, but bet we can get together next time you come home for a visit.

kenneth,Highball,
    as Highball/Bert posted, the show he's coming to is this weekend. I'm still trying to see if I can make it over there tomorrow afternoon. Spoke with maggiethecat and he has a Reserve meeting this weekend, but I'll check on Danny and Nunn this morning after I figure out my schedule. You guys should try to meet up even if I can't get there, but I'm going to try.

Dusty/Howard,
    maybe I need to bring a few tents down next time...we can drink and lie 'till Howard neighbors call the locals, then we can camp in Howards back yard! [:D]
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    With 2 kids going to France, and the whole family going to Disney World in Novenber, there is no way I can swing the trip down this year!!! Besides your coming up here this year and hunt with me!![^]

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • tidemantideman Member Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Howdy, guys.
    I'll post some pics in a day or two.

We REALLY had a GREAT TIME!!!!

I don't think we've laughed that much in years.

Dusty, you're alot younger than we thought you'd be. we just figured .....a water well driller........you'd be an old, craggy, broken down feller. We couldn't have been more wrong.

Twodogs.....it sounds like you've got it ALL going your way. QB and I will be seein' ya' at the show, Sat. or Sun. I bet she'll be looking for the "PERFECT SURVIVAL KNIFE".

And..Outdoors. What more can I say?
    It was indeed a pleasure to meet you! We really enjoyed the food, fun and tales of the outdoors. When one talks about the "Salt of the Earth", you will immediately come to mind!!!
    QB can't stop talking about the possibility of making a river trip down the BRAZOS. She's undoubtably developed her survival skills by having to contend with me for over 22 years!!!! However..If she returns home smellin' like I skunk, I'll know dinner was a failure!!!!!

Those of you that missed this meeting..y'all should plan on making it to the next one!!!

We Sincerely want to express our appreciation for the invite. It was more fun than y'all will ever know!!!!

Tideman and QB [Fortunate TEXANS]

ps. What a way to celebrate our Honeymoon!!!!
    edited November -1
    Like I said Tide, for sweet ladies the trip's on me...
    but it'll cost you double! [:D]

Waiting too to hear QB's side of the story. [;)]

Really was a fun evening, we'll do it again in a few months.
  • QBQB Member Posts: 76 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]
    Okay Guys!

I better add my two cents before it gets too deep. Jerry, Howard and Dusty - It was a great pleasure to meet all of you. Food was Great, Jerry's beer was COLD, the stories were Histerical and the BULL was deep.

Dusty, NO TRADE - after 25+ years I've almost got this one trained. I'll be darned if I'm startin with another youngster.

Howard, we will be seeing you this weekend. MY truck is fixed and we pick it up tomorrow am. We won't have any money left to spend at the gun show - but always like to look.

Jerry - I am glad to know I'm one of the "guys". From my experience the guys always have more fun. I'm definately ready for the canoe trip. If I can survive the last several decades in Houston -the Brazos shouldn't be any problem. But I'm not so sure we can talk Randy into it. I think the cuisine has him a little scared.

Seriously guys - it was a blast. Anyone in the area really needs to make the next meeting of the East Texas GB Mafia. We will have to schedule another real soon.

QB

Don't sweat the small stuff --- and it's ALL small stuff.
  • RoughrdrRoughrdr Member Posts: 156 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I live 2 hours from dallas and 3 hours from Houston, but who is interested in a backwater FNG....[:D]

sasslogo.gifstamp.jpg
  • shooter4shooter4 Member Posts: 4,457
    edited November -1
    Yo Jerry,

Looks like I'll be headin back to Dallas on Tuesday, the week after next. Be there until either Thursday or Friday afternoon.

I'll let you know.

Don't feel like you gotta do this, I know it's a long drive to Dallas for you.

Have you heard from Sundowner?
    edited November -1
    Roughrdr,
    we're all new guys! Just at different times. What town are you in? You've described a large area.

shooter,
    be sure to let me know when you have the date narrowed down. Will do everything possible to leave that date open. And a no on Sundowner, haven't spoke since you and he were working on the "troll" problem.

QB,
    like my lady, you've got just enough tomboy in ya to keep us guys on our toes! You're welcome to join us at any time. Really enjoyed meeting the both of you. It's always nice to see another couple that truly cares about each other, and with you two, it was easy to know it's real.

On the "river grub", when ya carry only freeze dried veggies, you have to be creative on the meat! Besides, just remember, when it's roasted over the coals it all looks the same when it's done. [;)]

We can always gather roots and shoots instead of having the "storebought" veggies, sometimes that makes "unusual" meat taste even better! [:D]

Sorta like the difference in jerky. Feed someone dried fish first, then even if they think venison is lacking, they'll love it considering the alternative...[:D]