In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Highball comes to Texas

outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
He wouldn't let anyone take his picture, something about a young blonde that was with him! [;)]

I made it to Mesquite and the Texas State Rifle Assoc. gun show yesterday afternoon about 3pm. Right off caught Danny at the food bar eating BBQ! Now, everybody boo in unison, it's not on his new diet! Told him I was callin' Sandy, but then thought you guys could beat him up verbally and at least he'd still live. [;)]

Nunn and Dawn walked up just after Danny finished the evidence, ya know how LEO's are always drawn to food places...and always late when a criminal is about to hide something. [:D]

I return to the booths in search of that ever elusive 22 that "might" be mixed amongst valuable rifles. But no luck again, walked the entire show twice, some parts three times, without spending a dime. Now I ask, what kind of show is it when you don't buy anything at all? Yep, another bummer.

Actually, I did spend twenty bucks, for membership to the TSRA but that doesn't count since I can't shoot "it", or something in "it", the membership that is. They're a good group, but, the show still sucked.

Highlight of the show was getting to see the GB old friends, and meeting Highball/Bert. We managed to visit in an aisle, and again outside after the show, and he didn't even mention politics!!!

Well he did brag a little, that he only got in one argument inside with one stranger...[:D]

Texshooter didn't show, neither did kenneth and melissa, and I couldn't hang around to go eat with the gang. Still a good trip, Highball was worth an hour drive, now I know I'm bigger than him, so I can keep disagreeing with his political standpoints. [:D]

Next local show is the 21st and 22nd, k & m say they'll be there, maybe we can put a few more faces with names then. Hope a few more of ya can make it, and, maybe, we can get to the food bar early and keep Danny on his diet! [:0]

Comments

• wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,067
    edited November -1
    Highball/Bert
    Remember to burn your boots when you get back to Oklahoma[}:)][}:)]

Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: And he that hath no sword,let him sell his garment, and buy one
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Boots?

He was wearin' those Birkenstock sandals, plaid shorts that looked like Pa****** might have throwed them away, and a flowered Hawaiian shirt, topped off with a red derby!

I thought all you Okie's dressed like that. [:D]

Seems the others who were at the gun show haven't turned on their computers yet this morning... May be a good thing I didn't join 'em for dinner...looks like they drank it and haven't got out of bed yet!
  • loaderloader Member Posts: 122 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, I am in Abilene Texas,
    How come I wasnt invited to this shindig?
    I could of made the show.
    Arnt us "NEWBEEES" allowed to join in the fun?
    Been trying to get to a good show the last few years, the ones here in Abilene arnt much, lots of jewlry and stuffed animals and such.

SO, do I get to come to the next one with you people?
    Drop me a line and I will be there.

loader.
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    AND....

Jerry (outdoortexas) missed a nice dinner because he had to leave and do some work. David and Dawn (nunn), Bert and Margie (Highball) and me, the old fat man, headed down to Joe's Crab Shack after the show and ate a really good dinner. It was loud, and we got to watch all of the waiters and waitresses do two or three of their little dance numbers. It was a fun night, and I had a ball.[:D]

It was the first time I had an oportunity to meet Bert in person, and he's just what I expected. One down to earth guy with his head screwed on right! Funny how the dreaded "gun culture" is full of some of the best people on earth![;)]

Loader, we usually post what gun shows we're going to hit, and you are always invited. Just hit that post and tell us where to meet you.[^]

And as far as the diet goes, BBQ is ok without the sauce, but that bun I ate was the first bread in 4 weeks. I'll have to do two days of induction to make up for it, but folks, I was starving. It was 3:00 PM and I hadn't eaten all day. That's tough for a fat guy![V]

I did wash it down with a diet coke. Doesn't that kill all the carbs?[;)]

Oh yeah, I did get to make one dealer angry. I was looking for a Kel-Tec P-40. I saw a used on on GB go for $175 with no box or papers, so I though I would use that as my starting price. I found one without a price on it, and asked the man what he wanted for it. He told me, "make me an offer". I said, "how about $175", to which he replied with a sharp angry voice, "Get out of here, I can't even deal with you. get away from my table." So I did. I was expecting some kind of counter offer, but I guess that not how the young folks sell guns these days. Oh well, I'll just keep looking![:D]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
    edited November -1
    loader,
    you must have missed the other posts, there were two and we would have been happy to have you drive in. Another show on the 21st and 22nd, looks like a couple of us will be going to it. Sure to be a post a day or so prior.

Danny, are you still trying to get me to NOT phone Sandy? Maybe a piece of her cheesecake would work as a bribe...[;)] Glad you guys enjoyed the dinner, sorry I couldn't make it.

My description of Bert should be safe...don't expect him to go online before after work tomorrow! [:D] But thought sure wipala would scream.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by outdoortexas
    Danny, are you still trying to get me to NOT phone Sandy? Maybe a piece of her cheesecake would work as a bribe...[;)]

There are no guarantees on that next cheesecake. A fat guy can only take so much![:D]

edited November -1
    At least bring a piece to the Bigtown show! Uh, and a spoon! [:D]

loader, ya got mail.
  • bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey,dheff and ODT,if y'all want some BBQ I got something for ya! Glad you had a good time.[8D]

I'm serious about the BBQ,too! Got some GOOOOOD stuff.[;)]Lemme know if'n you want some.

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigt7mm
    Hey,dheff and ODT,if y'all want some BBQ I got something for ya! Glad you had a good time.[8D]

I'm serious about the BBQ,too! Got some GOOOOOD stuff.[;)]Lemme know if'n you want some.

"Been around the world and seen that only stupid people are breeding.The cretins cloning and feeding,and I don't even own a T.V."---Harvey Danger

Big7, I'm interested! What ya' got?

• bigt7mmbigt7mm Member Posts: 4,705 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    heff,it's a Mustard-based sauce we use here in the Southeast. Kinda sweet and tangy. Good on ribs,chicken,roasts,chops,cereal,whatever. Well,maybe not chicken,but you get the idea.[:D] Gimme yer addy and I'll get ya some. I'm gonna have a give-away later with some of this sauce and other stuff.

• HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    Well,well,well....

Hardly out of the state and that long,tall Texan is throwing rocks my way.....Hmph....
    This guy stands about 7 foot tall or so..and skinny.Has to stand in the same place twice to cast a shadow...and thank goodness he IS tall..cause the sun reflecting off all that skin would REALLY be uncomfortable,if he was down at eye level..[}:)]

Wouldn't go eat with us...mumbling something 'bout "Bidness"..I think maybe so it had something to do with he didn't drag it kicking and screaming out of a hole or off a tree HIMSELF..he would have been right to home down at Joe's place..them other folks at the table were eating things that looked like they came out from under rocks...[:D]

The Blonde sends regards..something about.."Some has it..some don't.."..Hmmmm? Reckon what she meant 'bout that.. ?[8D]

Got to meet the Dazzlin' Dawn..and a couple moments later realized that she had brought along Nunn..It causes an abrupt cessation of gazing when one realizes " Man with a gun.." [:D][:D]

DheffleyDan is a riot all by hisself..and working real hard on becoming a fraction of what he was.There were tales to be told,and more yet to come..I expect I will be going back down there.These are good people,and I enjoyed myself.

Thanks to you all for keeping an open mind about me.
    edited November -1
    But did you guys talk politics during dinner? [:D]

All things considered, you were kind to me in your description since I ratted on you about the Birkenstocks and derby...[:D]

Was nice to meet ya buddy! Hope to spend more time with ya on your next trip down.

Bigt,
    ya got mail, Danny doesn't need to be eatin' that stuff. Send his to me and I'll tell him how good it is...[;)]
  • FrOgFrOg Member Posts: 2,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I MISS TX[:(][:(][:(][:(][V] Sucks missing these things.[:(]

Frog

divemed1sm.jpg

GO NAVY, BEAT ARMY
    edited November -1
    FrOg,
    We'll hold a garthering just for you when you come home to visit this summer. Let me know ahead of time when your leave starts.
    edited November -1
    ODT;
    SOMEBODY has to be a gentleman around here..so I grudgingly didn't mention that little wimpy wire thing you carried around in your hand all day...

and every time I started to mention politics at the table..Dheff or Nunn cleverly got the cute little waitresses to start wiggling to that heavy rock stuff..and my toungue would get over my eyeteeth and I would lose sight of whatever I was trying to say...unfair,that...
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Highball
    and every time I started to mention politics at the table..Dheff or Nunn cleverly got the cute little waitresses to start wiggling to that heavy rock stuff..and my toungue would get over my eyeteeth and I would lose sight of whatever I was trying to say...unfair,that...

Worked though, didn't it! I'm still tickled at big bubba up there doing his thing. I thought Dawn and Margie were going to get sick!

edited November -1
    Still not fair,tho !![:D]

Bubba on the table....now I gotta take that picture out of my mind..!! Ah well,we were with a couple pretty ladies..and those jailbait waitresses wern't TOO bad.

If you don't mind..I will send you a picture of a 200 lb. kitty taken down there in your country....
    edited November -1
    Wimpy wire thing? Now I'm insulted!

Ya just never know about some folks if they can't appreciate a "real" 22. If'n we was on the river lookin' for supper, you'd be mighty proud to have "it" with us.
    Well, then again, you might pass up what was on your plate if ya knew what it was with the hide on!!! [:D]