In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Krauthammer on Foreign Policy -- Must Read

Gordian BladeGordian Blade Member Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
This is very long, but a must-read for anyone with an interest in current events and foreign policy. It is a speech recently given by well-known conservative political commentator Charles Krauthammer. I haven't read anything in recent memory so well thought-through and presented, agree or disagree.

http://www.aei.org/news/newsID.19912,filter./news_detail.asp

Comments

• whiteclouderwhiteclouder Member Posts: 10,574 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gordian:

I read it all and you're right. Left or right politically, this is as succinct and to the core as anything I've ever read.

Clouder..
  • mudgemudge Member Posts: 4,225 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Terrific...Well worth the time it takes.

Mudge the impressed

I can't come to work today. The voices said, STAY HOME AND CLEAN THE GUNS!
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    Long, but excellent read, well worth the time!

Just two of many very good quotes:

"The realist believes the definition of peace Ambrose Bierce offered in The Devil's Dictionary: "Peace: noun, in international affairs, a period of cheating between two periods of fighting."

And, on Iraq:
    "Yes, as in Germany and Japan, the undertaking is enormous, ambitious and arrogant. It may yet fail. But we cannot afford not to try. There is not a single, remotely plausible, alternative strategy for attacking the monster behind 9/11. It's not Osama bin Laden; it is the cauldron of political oppression, religious intolerance, and social ruin in the Arab-Islamic world--oppression transmuted and deflected by regimes with no legitimacy into virulent, murderous anti-Americanism. It's not one man; it is a condition. It will be nice to find that man and hang him, but that's the cops-and-robbers law-enforcement model of fighting terrorism that we tried for twenty years and that gave us 9/11. This is war, and in war arresting murderers is nice. But you win by taking territory-and leaving something behind."

To this one I'd still add,
    that we do now have an airbase in the middle of Iraq that does make a difference. Democracy can/may follow.

Thanks Gordian for the post!