In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

ruger 77 ultlight .243 55gr multiquestional

hawaiipighunterhawaiipighunter Member Posts: 438 ✭✭✭
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
hi all,
i started a thread regarding my coyote hunt next weekend. iam taking my 243 and a backup gun. (2 is 1, 1 is none) i have a nice 204 but ammo is scarce so far and i was considering my 308 with fmj.

one gunshop has some 55 gr win for my 243. does anyone have experience with this gun and load? a couple of you have mentioned good results with the load. i ahve decent accuracy with the light gun and 100 grain bullets. this is actually my first deer gun, i have killed 3 deer with it and love the gun.

so heres my string of questions:

what is the twist in the ruger 77 tang safety ultralight gun i think its 1:10

how does a 1:10 twist affect 55 grain bullets? are the 60s better?

usually varmint guns are bull bbl. i understand the harmonics and heat dissipation, but what else makes my ultralight not a varmint gun?

on my 243 my bbl length is about 20 inches. what will that do to the 55 grainers?
can some one tell me what year the tang safety rugers were made? it was a used gun bought for me in 1990 i think or maybe earlier. it has tang safety and black at the fore end i think it was later called the ruger 77 mk 2 rls, as dad bought one in .270

again i wish to thank everyone in advance for inputs.
kyle

Comments

• Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 1 in 10 twist on the 24" A&B barrel on my .243 works pretty well with 55 grain bullets up to the 70 grain ones. It is a good bit more accurate with 70 grains. I don't know about 100 grains in that twist. length of the barrel wont make a difference in twist but could affect velocity.
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My Remington 700 in .243 shoots 55 grainers sub MOA it has a twist of 1 in 9 1/8".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    gogolen,

is that a bull bbl varminter or a std bbl?

kyle
  • Options
    edited November -1
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    My lightweight 77 in 243 would only shoot ammo in the 75-105 grain weight range. I tried some 70's, and 58's and was getting 10" groups at 100.

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    muzzle velocity would be in the 3800+ with a 55 grain?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Winchester advertises their's at 3910.
  • Options
    LightningLightning Member Posts: 945 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gogolen
    My Remington 700 in .243 shoots 55 grainers sub MOA it has a twist of 1 in 9 1/8".

Thats funny,,,,I have a 700 243 std barrel and it is a tack driver with 75 or 80 grs but with the 55's it shoots very erratic.

FUNCTION BEFORE STYLE
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    all my 243 rifles shoot 55's very good but they are 10" twist infact thats what i reload all my 243 with 55 grain nos bal tips i really like them for varmint type shooting very fast and flat shooting...i have smacked coyotes at three hundred yards and coyote was dead before they hit the ground.....i cronoed some but dont remember for sure but 3800 fps seems to come to mind with bbl lenght of 22" if i remember right
  • Options
    edited November -1
    i got some of the 55 grainers tonight. ill let you know how my ruger likes them. i hope i didnt waste 25 dollars. i hope they shoot pretty well.

kyle