In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How many firearms do you have to have....

Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
edited February 2010 in General Discussion
before it's considered an "Arsenal". I KNOW the Webster's definition, but what is the 'street' definition of Arsenal? How many firearms are required before that designation applies? I appreciate any applicable input.

Comments

• Options
    4627046270 Member Posts: 12,627
    edited November -1
    none, the boat sunk and took them all to the bottom.
    I had 31 before that.[:p]

any over 5
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    before my tragic boating accident, I had about 17, but i'm not sure if that's an "arsenal."
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't believe that any number of legally owned firearms in a private collection could or should be considered an arsenal.
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    victorj19victorj19 Member Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For liberals it would be one.

For the rest of us there is no number. Only the Govermnets have arsenals.
  • Options
    SCOUT5SCOUT5 Member Posts: 16,182 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess enough to arm every member of the household would constitute an arsenal. If you live alone then one.
  • Options
    shootuadealshootuadeal Member Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    accordling to the news reporting a .22 and brick of shells ought to do it.

maybe a knife too would solidify it on a slow news day.
  • Options
    Hunter MagHunter Mag Member Posts: 6,611 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arsenal
    Heavily armed
    Gunman
    Assault weapon
    and many more
    are all propagana terms used to brainwash the masses into thinking guns are evil.
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Arsenal
    Heavily armed
    Gunman
    Assault weapon
    and many more
    are all propagana terms used to brainwash the masses into thinking guns are evil.

Bingo!
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    NwcidNwcid Member Posts: 10,674
    edited November -1
    Well since technically an arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition the people that have an arsenal in their ________ car/backpack/closet/ect are well set up if they can do all that out of a small space.

Like many things the media has perverted the meaning of arsenal when what they are normally talking about would be closer to an An armory which is a military depot used for the storage of weapons and ammunition.

Now if the media catches you with 3 pellet guns and a box of pellets they can and would call that an arsenal and there are NO firearms involved. I remember one of the gun buy backs people were bringing in all kinds of pellet/BB/airsoft stuff. The media was having a hay day showing off all the guns collected and off the streets and IIRC there were only a dozen or so real guns and most of them were broken.
  • Options
    CHEVELLE427CHEVELLE427 Member Posts: 6,750
    edited November -1
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    NOW thats a newbie question! you should know better than to ask that one [:D]
  • Options
    Fly DoctorFly Doctor Member Posts: 5,053
    edited November -1
    To me, an arsenal isn't just characterized by number of guns,
    but by types of guns in the collection.

For example, do 30 lever action 30-30s constitute a modern arsenal?
    They might have at one time, but not today.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's not a finite number!

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    tr foxtr fox Member Posts: 13,856
    edited November -1
    Logically there should be nothing scary about someone having an "arsenal" or even a stock pile of ammo. Reason being that a man can only shoot one gun at a time (accurately that is) and only one bullet at a time. So nobody should care about the number of guns or how much ammo any particular gun owners owns.

But sadly I guess the liberals don't like it.
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    Arsenal? Like an Illegal surplus of weapons so the boot jack thugs can come and kill your wife and children?

I don't know. Maybe when you outgun your local national guard unit.

Other than that, Americans can have as many damn weapons as they want.

I think over 20 and you have an addiction, not an arsenal.
  • Options
    timhill100timhill100 Member Posts: 1,133 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:I think over 20 and you have an addiction, not an arsenal.

quilty of addiction or maybe just a hobby, what if your a coin collector would over 20 coins make you addicted also
  • Options
    storm6490storm6490 Member Posts: 8,010
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by timhill100
    quote:I think over 20 and you have an addiction, not an arsenal.

quilty of addiction or maybe just a hobby, what if your a coin collector would over 20 coins make you addicted also

I used the term loosely to explain that American can have as many guns as they want and the term arsenal is a bad word that makes the authorities feel entitled to confiscating your tools for having too many.

You don't have a coin addiction, you are just a geek.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Hunter Mag
    Arsenal
    Heavily armed
    Gunman
    Assault weapon
    and many more
    Exactly. I think an arsenal is a place where military arms are built/re-built/stored. I don't have one of those.
  • Options
    jonkjonk Member Posts: 10,121
    edited November -1
    I always get a kick out of it. Cops seize an 'arsenal'- and the news shows pictures of maybe half a dozen guns and a .50 cal can full of mixed ammo.

Arsenal? Hardly.

Way I see it, I could get by with 4 guns. 1 muzzleloader for hunting, 1 handgun for carry, 1 shotgun for home defense and bird/rabbit hunting, and 1 high power rifle for competitive target shooting.

That would be the bare minimum.

With ammo for each, I'm sure they'd say I had an arsenal.
  • Options
    Redman09Redman09 Member Posts: 61 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141
    before it's considered an "Arsenal". I KNOW the Webster's definition, but what is the 'street' definition of Arsenal? How many firearms are required before that designation applies? I appreciate any applicable input.

For the media, one AR-15/AK-47 and two magazines. [xx(]
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tech141

what does arsenal mean? it sounds threatening! menacing in its inanimosity!

Why do they call a collection an Arsenal?

that word makes me nervious...

Is there only a certian number of a certian kind of gun a person can collect without getting permission?

Its not like a person can use more then two at a time...
  • Options
    MossbergboogieMossbergboogie Member Posts: 12,211
    edited November -1
  • Options
    JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Arsenal?

What is a FIREARM?
  • Options
    chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The media was using the word cache for a while. I was wondering about that and asked someone but forget who. I was told a cache implies hidden where a arsenal is locked by at least two locks. Eg a locked gun room and then locked inside a gun safe.
  • Options
    wittynbearwittynbear Member Posts: 4,518
    edited November -1
    I would think you would need to have thousands of firarms, have the ability to manufacture or at the very least repair your own weapons. Then I would consider it an arsenal, up to that point I would consider it a nice collection.
  • Options
    Bill JordanBill Jordan Member Posts: 1,402 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How's low 3 figures score?
    Bill
  • Options
    Tech141Tech141 Member Posts: 3,787 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the replies, Folks. I enjoyed reading them. Always good to get input/opinions from people who are educated on the subject matter.

Have a Great Day.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    depends, are you preparing for a 1 gun, a 2 gun, or 3 gun survival situation?[:D]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    How many guns do I have? Enough ... well, come to think of it, maybe I need one more!

OOPS, now I see that I have missed the rest of the question. When my dad died, I think we had 400 guns. My mom did consider that to be an arsenal! And they had to go ... bummer!
  • Options
    8000fthi8000fthi Member Posts: 864 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One of anything used for defense would be considered your arsenal.
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Nwcid
    Well since technically an arsenal is an establishment for the construction, repair, storage and issue of weapons and ammunition the people that have an arsenal in their ________ car/backpack/closet/ect are well set up if they can do all that out of a small space.

Like many things the media has perverted the meaning of arsenal when what they are normally talking about would be closer to an An armory which is a military depot used for the storage of weapons and ammunition.

Now if the media catches you with 3 pellet guns and a box of pellets they can and would call that an arsenal and there are NO firearms involved. I remember one of the gun buy backs people were bringing in all kinds of pellet/BB/airsoft stuff. The media was having a hay day showing off all the guns collected and off the streets and IIRC there were only a dozen or so real guns and most of them were broken.

[:D]Ha! That's good!
  • Options
    BiggerHammer24BiggerHammer24 Member Posts: 128 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think that would be more than one military wep of the same type. BiggerHammer