In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Andros Island (AUTEC)

JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I saw part of a program on the HISTORY Channel last night about Andros Island. It was one of those Unidentified Submerged Objects (USO) programs like the UFO programs, except the little green men are under the sea instead of flying around.

I usually avoid those programs, but this one being about Andros I let it stay on. I wish now I had stopped what I was doing and actually paid attention.

The gist of the program was the Atlantic Undersea test and Evaluation Center (AUTEC) is the Navy's Area 51.

One guy who was either an employee or former employee of AUTEC told about some of the strange things he has seen there that can't be of this world.

If he was ever employed by AUTEC he should have known there are some strange things going on there that have nothing at all to do with space aliens. I'm sure there are a lot of projects going on there that all the people working on them don't know all of what's going on, much less people on another project.

Back in the late 1970s they were doing some research and development on a submarine weapon and they wanted to find out how it would perform on a ship with gas turbine propulsion. Being a ship with gas turbine propulsion and being the one ship who's absence would cause the least disruption to fleet scheduling, they sent us to Andros to play target. They told us next to nothing about what we were doing.

The weapon reminded me a little of a beagle hunting a rabbit. It would break the surface, stick its head out of the water and move like it was looking around, then submerge. They told us the tests were a success, but they never told us what a success was.

The AUTEC Commanding Officer, a four stripe Captain, told our XO we could have the use of his beach house for a couple of days for a little R&R before we went back North. Naturally a gunboat crew with the use of a beach house had to have a bonfire. I saw it wasn't going to end well when they used the bar and bar stools for fuel on the fire. Long story short, the beach house didn't survive the R&R. The only thing left was a pile of ashes and not much ashes.

The next morning the Corpsman knew we had a problem so he found some rakes and took a couple of guys back to where the old beach house used to be. When they got finished you couldn't tell there had ever been anything there.

Later that day the AUTEC Commanding Officer came down to the ship. When the Quarterdeck rendered honors our Captain, a Lieutenant Commander, hustled out to meet him. The AUTEC CO asked our CO what the deal was with his beach house. Our CO said "What beach house?" The AUTEC CO said "That's what I mean. Where the hell is it?" They had a short conversation and our CO told the AUTEC CO the next time we came down we would bring a load of plywood and building materials and build him a beach house nicer than the one he used to have. The AUTEC CO said "Oh NO! You won't be coming back!"
The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.

Comments

• claysclays Member Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother worked for Raytheon on Andros Is. for about 12 years from mid 80 to 90s. If the US actually has a witness protection program this is where they are all hidden. I have never seen so many laid back carefree men & women as they had working on that island compound. The beauty of his working there was that I could visit any time I wanted and stay up to 30days per visit, living in their facilities and eating at their mess hall, (which I might add had excellent food). I learned to bone fish, dive for lobster, and caught many a bull head dolfin while there. If you ever get the chance to visit, I highly recommend Hanks restruant on Fresh Creek inlet.
  • JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was down there they were talking about some corporation had plans to build a hotel and resort. I don't know if they ever did, but I can't think of a more beautiful spot on earth to do it.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • claysclays Member Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JamesRK
    When I was down there they were talking about some corporation had plans to build a hotel and resort. I don't know if they ever did, but I can't think of a more beautiful spot on earth to do it.

Last time I was there was 2001, nothing built as of then