In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Went to the range..rained...bought... Dang Rain!

spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
Went to sight in the Hensholdt today. I was good and only took 2 guns. Rain started about 10 miles west of the range. Well, I had driven 70 miles at that point, so I carried on.
At the range, it sprinkled for 30 minutes, then I headed on up to play.
Shot for an hour, till I ran out of ammo. Going down to get more and son showed up. 'Hey Mom, did you bring your .22?' Well, no actually I am saving that till I get my new glasses next week. 'Could you get me some .22 and a box of 20ga.?' Sure.
Go down and get a fair deal on a case of .223. I am tired of buying more all the time. Also, the cartridges can be re-loaded. Since I have a deal coming on a re-loader, it seemed good. Buy the kid some ammo and head back up
Jeff, the store owner comes up to help spot for sighting in . One half clip later and the rain returns. Just a drizzle, then a downpouring frog strangler! At that point, we all 5 call it quits and head back down to the shop.[V]
In the shop sits a Savage 93R17. Rain keeps coming, so I pick it up and decide it fits pretty nicely to my shoulder. Ask about a scope. Out from under the counter comes a BSA Contender 3-12 with a 50mm objective (did I say that right?)[:I]
Raining harder now. Can't possibly leave yet. Onto the Savage goes the scope. Make the kid bend over so I can use him as a rest to check out the scope on the mailbox - 50 yards away. Nice and big and clear. Jeff adjusts the scope a bit to give a full field of view.
Pouring rain.
Run to car to get money and of course glasses get soaked.
Sure, I'll go back and get my license, what was I thinking! Jeff loans me a hand towel, since I am already cursing the raindrops on my glasses.
Run back, with a towel on my head both ways. I feel like a nun. Back out to get my purchase permit, not that I am buying a pistol, but it saves calling for a background check. Towel is so wet now, it is only keeping raindrops off my glasses.
At that point I stop and do a 'rain' dance, in the rain. Why not?
Jeff grins, my permit is soaked.
Kid leaves to head back to school.
Five minutes later, we are wrapping up the sale. Gun and scope for $248.00, nother $20.00 for ammo.
Phone rings in shop. Jeff grins again and hands me the phone. Son stopped to get gas and they can't take the ATM card. 'Ok, give me 5 and where are you?'
Jeff and I load all up, after the box is located. Box is wet from the rain and I have wrapped the gun in a dry towel usually reserved for the ESR. Pouring rain, mind you.
Head down the road to find kid, 3 miles out the sun is shining![}:)]
Course, another 5 miles and it pours again.
I need to stay away from that place if rain is called for anywhere within 50 miles!!!
So here I sit, drying out, with two scopes to sight in and lots of ammo to shoot and a new toy, listening to the rain.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.
Think I got a good deal though.[:D]

spiny
'not all who wander are lost'

Comments

• BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a good day![;)][:D][:p][^][^][^]

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    C[8D][8D]L! Glad you had a good day! If ya need .223 brass tell me I will send ya a tone of it.[:)][:)]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything because
    my Wife is a Hair Stylist"
  • spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    Thanks FrancF![:D] I think I just bought 1000 rounds of it.[:I]

Now you might ask what I will do with this new acquisition in the hills of NC? Well, I will go to the range and sit at the 250 yard mark, threatening anyone who wants to step up to the 100 or 50 yard mark! 'Move! I am practicing!'
    At least if I move to Tennessee, I will be prepared for long distance squirrels and rats![:D]

spiny
    edited November -1
    Love IT [:D][:D][:D] Sounds like the move was good! and the right choice.[:D]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

• paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Your gonna love the .17, we were shooting mine today, what a tack driver! Ma's ex was with us and I couldn't get it out of his hands, he just kept shooting it. He's hooked he's going to the gunshop and get one![:D]

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    PS. I think (when ya can do it or find one) a REM 40XBR in .22-250 would be a great long range rat gun for ya. Lil heavy about 12 lbs. I think you could print 1/4"-1/2" at 300 350 yrds easy. (oops lil fast there) That .17 your gona love! Get the Rifle Basix Trigger. GHD turned me onto it, Worth the money.

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

• maboogermabooger Member Posts: 685 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Scary thought huh.
    I send the husband, ex-husband & kids off to shoot today.
    My neighbor says , "Aren't you afraid somebody is gonna get shot?"

I told her "Yep ,,,,,, ME !!!!!" [B)][B)]
    edited November -1
    FrancF: Where do I find one? The trigger is a bit heavy and stiff.
    Just wish I could get a 30 round mag for it![:D][:p][:D]
    Pa: Can't wait to try it out!!!!!!![:D][:D]
    Anymore when I go up there, guys are hogging the range at the 50 yard mark.[V]
    Maybe I could get Jeff to give me a couple of hours before he opens one or two days a month.[:D][:D] Think a batch of brownies would help?

spiny
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I thought all you women like a stiff trigger!!![:I]

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    Depends.[:o)]

spiny
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    spiny, I must have had a little of my gun habit rub off on you or something! Congratulations on the 17!!! The reloading stuff should get here next week or I may have it shipped straight to you. Will let you know. Just got home from building a reloading bench for a friend tonite. He is going to let me set up a 1000 yard range at his place! He also has about 10000 acres of super hunting ground to hunt on! You can shoot any buck you want to there as long as it gets mounted or you pay $250.00!!!! That tends to help the size of the deer! The second place 6 pointer for VA was shot there! Sarah(Miss GHD) said she wouldn''t have shot him....not enough points! Didn't make any difference to her that he scored out the yazoo because of the length of tines and mass and spread...didn't have enough points!!! GHD
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Spiny;
    Sounds like you had one heck of a day.
    Maybe I missed the post, what kind of optics did you put on your Steyr?
    My rail is on the way.....anticipa.a.a.tion....

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    pickenup: The Hensoldt is a 3X tiny scope Try www.steyr-aug.com to see the specs. It came with the standard A-2 style 1.5X intregal handle scope - which is quite nice. But, 1.5 at 250 yards leaves a tiny target when you practice on a 6x6 target! I really like the new scope, because of the magnification, size, and other goodies. However, that doesn't mean it takes the place of the 1.5. Just wanted something to play with at 250 yards.[:D][:D]
    By the way, I had to gently file the picatinny rail tangs (or whatever you call them![:I]) where they wrap onto to the Steyr. The fit was too snug to push it all the way home without a mallet. Now, the rail is very snug and stable, but I can get it off by hand to swap scopes.
    Have fun with yours! With that rail, you can mount any scope you want. Well, within reason, considering the size of the gun![;)] With the quuick release barrel knob, it only takes a moment to switch.
    Let me know when yours comes in and what you mount on it![8D]

spiny
    edited November -1
    Thanks FrancF! I bookmarked the site, for when I have more cash.[:D]

spiny