In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

More rantings from the California Liberal

familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Ok, now that the dust has settled a bit over the t!t (there's a limerick there somewhere[:p]), I have a serious question:

What's with the priorities/standards of the 'right wing' or 'conservatives'? The same people that seem to freak out at seeing a breast (oh my gosh, I've got to explain to my daughter what a nipple is even though she sucked on one for a year![:0]), seem to be the same ones that love Arnold's latest bullets and blood flick.

First of all, let me make a few things clear. Anyone that reads my profile knows that I have nothing against gratuitous violence used in entertainment. Secondly, my daughter thought that the boob flopping out on tv was 'gross' because it was out of place and embarrassing.

That being said, I just don't get why explicit sex is 'dirty', something for back alleys/seedy motels or hidden away and not talked about, yet explicit violence and killing is more accepted. I've seen a PG13 movie where someone got beheaded (Lord of the Rings), but even so much as a bare butt going up and down (you know what I mean) will get you an R rating. As a matter of fact, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom has a scene where a man's heart is ripped from his chest still beating, and that's PG.

Bullets impacting bodies are allowed in TV PG, but sex (even under the covers) rates at least a TV14.

Personally, I find sex a more pleasant and easier to discuss subject than violence and killing. We talked to my little girl about a mommy that had a baby in her belly (she saw a pregnant woman). She came very close to asking THE QUESTION. My wife said "That was close". My reply was "So what? If she's old enough to ask the question, she's old enough to get an answer".

I know not everyone that labels themselves 'conservative' or 'right wing' feels this way. Most would probably jump in and say "IT'S ALL GARBAGE! UNSUITABLE FOR FAMILIES!". Not looking for the Moral Mafia take on this, I'm talking about the seeming acceptance of violence as compared to sex.

This is the part where I'm supposed to say "flame away...."

Got a new gun for my ex-wife.....pretty good trade, huh?

Comments

• IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    familyguy, I think a lot of the furor stems from the Puritan and Victorian influences which are still incorporated in the laws of many states, Federal laws and in our culture. Or at least this is the only logical explanation I've ever been able to essay. JMHO, but murderous violence is not a normal behavior, while sex is. Why some movie goers (or whatever group) can accept a portrayal of violence, justified or not, then take offense at a portrayal of an act most of them eagerly embrace seems rather odd, at the very least. In the Super Bowl instance, however, as in many others, it was gratuitous, shoddy, exploitive and inappropriate. I would like to think the "right wing or conservatives" are offended by that rather than the fact a breast was exposed, but I suspect both elements are a factor. Given the standards your daughter appears to have on the subject, it sure sounds like you and your wife have provided her an excellent foundation.

Your views make a lot of sense to me.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks, Icon. At least I'm not alone in my confusion.

I wonder if the lack of response is the inability of people to explain this standard, or did I just scare them off with the 'liberal' thing....?[}:)][:D][;)]

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I've raised 4 Sons and (almost)2 Daughters... It has always been awkward to discuss * functions with them, since those are very personal things, bounded with our Western European Puritan taboos. These are things we all do, and maybe that's why it's tough.

Murder, killing, and mayhem, on the other hand are (and shouldn't be) common practices. And, therefore... yatatayatata.

Could I be on the right track, here???

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • familyguyfamilyguy Member Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Awkward discussing * functions? Are you kidding?! Half my conversations with my daughter revolve around * functions!!!

Do you have to poop/pee?
    Did you poop/pee today?
    Did you wash your hands afterwards?
    I need to change your little brother's diaper, he....
    Go blow your nose, don't wipe it on your sleeve.
    Don't laugh when you toot, say 'pardon me' (got that one from daddy[B)][:p])
    etc etc

Even with pervasive violence in media, I guarantee we talk about babies and mommies and (as shown above) '* functions' more than death or killing.

I understand where you're coming from, I gues I just don't buy it as an explanation.

Anyone else?

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Guess I should have said "sexually related * functions".

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I've raised 4 Sons and (almost)2 Daughters... It has always been awkward to discuss * functions with them, since those are very personal things, bounded with our Western European Puritan taboos. These are things we all do, and maybe that's why it's tough.

Murder, killing, and mayhem, on the other hand are (and shouldn't be) common practices. And, therefore... yatatayatata.

Could I be on the right track, here???

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911

Yeah,I think your on the right track.It all stems from our religion and "western european tabboos"
    Those people were sexually repressed but on the flip side of the coin they were hanging people,beheading people,stoning people,burning people at the stake and it was A OK.I think that's were it comes from.

Muggster