In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Snorting alcohol...

offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Alcohol snorting craze sets off alarm signals

Binge drinking will only worsen if New Zealanders pick up on the latest overseas craze of snorting alcohol, says the Alcohol Advisory Council.

Drinks such as vodka and absinthe can be "snorted"...through a tube attached to a device known as an Alcohol Without Liquid (AWOL) vaporiser. It costs about $4000.

Scientists say the effects of the alcohol can be felt much quicker as it is directly absorbed through blood vessels in the nose or lungs - bypassing the stomach and liver.

"This is a silly gimmick and potentially dangerous to the individual in the short term as well as the long term if the practice is persisted with, said ALAC chief executive Dr Mike MacAvoy. "People indulging in this practice are just setting out to get drunk. This sort of instant hit fits in with New Zealand's and Britain's dangerous culture of binge drinking."

English bar Il Bordello, in Bristol, offered its customers the device at $16 a hit last week and owner Liz Lewitt said it had proved a hit.

The inventor, Dominic Simler, claims this method of consuming alcohol reduces a hangover and is calorie-free.

Alcohol experts described the device as "diabolical" and warned inhaling alcohol could cause serious brain damage.

Professor Oliver James, head of clinical medical sciences at Newcastle University, said snorting alcohol allows it to enter the brain without being filtered by the liver.

I'd say somebody wasn't filtering this through their brain... [:D]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif

Comments

• TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    An alternative to "clorine" in the gene pool. Stupid people really shouldn't breed.
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    falsehoods it will have the same amout of calories and will do the same amount of liver damage however it won't upset your ulcer.
    A tech school mate of mine had a son that was shooting up vodka.
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive never heard of anyone snorting alchohol but I have heard of it being injected right into the bloodstream.Bad mojo there.The most dangerous drink out right now is Red Bull and Vodka.
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It's very common for Russian alcoholics to use a vodka enema. No alcohol on your breath for your boss to smell.

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Leave it up to the Russians to come up with that one.
  • 925925 Member Posts: 441 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    so what do you ask for at a bar "a russian martini strait up ?"
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I heard of it when I was a teen [:)]. Pour a little alcohol in your palm. Hold one nostril closed and inhale [:o)]. Beer was okay and so were most bottles. Grain alcohol burned. Some of the liquid routed to your throat so you could still taste what you were snorting [xx(].

Mostly on a dare or to show off. Pretty harmless I guess, although one time, I know those strange lights was a flying saucer chasing us [|)]. I guess we got away.[;)]
  • woodshermitwoodshermit Member Posts: 2,589
    edited November -1
    No thanks, I'll stick to my airplane glue and paper bag.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a fun time, but for $4000 I can buy 266 30-packs of Busch. [:p]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    Im with ruger on this one give me the 266 busch 30 packs

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
    edited November -1
    Hey, you Busch guys, what are you going to do next week?
  • searcher5searcher5 Member Posts: 13,511
    edited November -1
    There's been a couple times when someone posted something really funny here that I snorted bourbon out my nose. Does that count? It really wasn't a very pleasant experience, overall.

Proud member of the NRA

When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion.
    Abraham Lincoln

If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith.
    Albert Einstein
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Is there is chance that you could drown in the process? I will stick to (drinking beer) only. NO SNORTING!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I like drinking cocaine...
    [;)]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    edited November -1
    Diet Coke for me...sniffing glue makes my throat dry
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't Pat Travers start this whole snorting whiskey/drinking cocaine trend in the 70s

"Life is not a journey to the grave wtih the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body,

But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming

-WOW- WHAT A RIDE!!!!!"
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by trusta45
    Ive never heard of anyone snorting alchohol but I have heard of it being injected right into the bloodstream.Bad mojo there.The most dangerous drink out right now is Red Bull and Vodka.

I hear that, I never used to even like vodka, but ever since I tried it with redbull, I've been neglecting my good friend Jack D.[;)]
  • joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a waste of good sipping whiskey to me.
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by joeaf1911a1
    Sounds like a waste of good sipping whiskey to me.

I was taught better than that. He still gets to frequent a small glass of ice occasionally.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    I think you'd be alright.

Up until you started in on the Everclear...then you'd have nasal passages that look like hamburger.

Can't imagine anyone doing that, though. I can barely drink it, much less do a snooter. *shudders*

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

"Molon labe, you fascist ice-queen!" -Me
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,062 ******
    edited November -1
    Let's clear something up. No matter what method is used to get alcohol into the bloodstream, it will show up on the breath, and is detectable by the nose and by testing devices.

What is smelled and detected is alcohol being exhaled from the lungs, where direct contact of air and blood occur in the alveoli.

IV and enema administration of booze serve to get one drunk without the sometimes nausea, and use much less booze to do it.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    Alcohol WithOut Liquid? WHAT'S THE FUN IN THAT?!?!?![?]

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • muggstermuggster Member Posts: 420 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well....I'm guilty of snorting vodka...

I was at me brothers house and he,his girlfriend,one of her friends(Cathie) and myself were tying a good one on.
    So...Cathie asks me if I had ever snorted vodka and I reply..."hell no I ain't never snorted vodka!!".She says"It'll f**k you up!!"
    I say"I'll bet...let's see you do it".
    So she takes an empty beer can and turns it upside down,fills the bottom up with vodka,sticks her nose in it and....."SNORT"!!
    I'm sitting there kinda dumbfounded[:0]waiting for a reaction.I say "Do it again".She fills er up again...and I'm watchin her,albeit,not close enough.She sticks her nose in that vodka and "SNORT"!!..."DAM",I say.
    ...."Well,If YOU can do it,I dam sure know I can",I tell her.
    So she fills er up again...I stick my nose down deep and...."SNORT"!!!

...and I thought the side of my head was gonna burn off and I realized I had been HAD.Course the all got a GOOD laugh.Screwed my sinus up for a week.
    She wasn't snorting that dang ole vodka,she was suckin it in through her mouth.She would put the edge of her lip on the can and her nose in the vodka and I tell ya.....it looked like she was snortin it!!

Good trick to play on somebody though[:o)]

Muggster