In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Check Out Another New Knife (pic)

cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
raycoverfixed.jpg

This is a Ray Cover custom knife with Ivory Micarta and red fiber liners, tapered tang and ATS-34 steel blade. His work is outstanding, several people have mistaken this Ivory Micarta for the REAL thing.

Comments

• gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    Give us the info so we can get in on this mans csaftmanship Please....

Thanks

Larry
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    He lives in Mineral Point, Mo. Usually sells out at shows before the public arrives[V] Fortunately, I've been dealing with him for a while and can usually catch him with something for sale. He actually specializes in folders, which I prefer, but his fixed blade knives put many a maker to shame. This is my first fixed blade of his. I have a dozen of his folders ordered and expect them in July or August. He has been making knives for over 30 years.
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jeez, would you quit already. You are making me wish and I don't have room for anymore knives.[;)]

Nice knife. Does he make knives out of antler material also? I know someguys don't care to because the odor is so bad to work with.

That Mo. country does have some darn good knife makers.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by cletus85
    He lives in Mineral Point, Mo. Usually sells out at shows before the public arrives[V] Fortunately, I've been dealing with him for a while and can usually catch him with something for sale. He actually specializes in folders, which I prefer, but his fixed blade knives put many a maker to shame. This is my first fixed blade of his. I have a doxen of his folders ordered and expect them in July or August. He has been making knives for over 30 years.
    I would like to have one with a stag handle. Is there a way you could get one for me if its not too much trouble???

Larry
    edited November -1
    covers.jpg

Believe me gun_runner if I could get you a stag handled knife I would, but since there has been an embargo on India Sambar Stag it's hard to come by in a decent size. I only have one stag and it's pictured above. The bone in the middle makes a great knife. He has made alot of stag knives over the years, but getting someone to turn loose of one would be costly. The other possibility would be buying some stag, but where and how much it would cost is past my knowledge. I do see it at shows though. He has agreed to make me one small folder with stag that is from scrap basically. A couple of weeks ago he had a damascus lockback folder that was super nice, but well above the cost of a fixed blade.
    edited November -1
    Hey Cletus: What is the big difference between Stag and Deer horn? I am sure I have plenty of deer horns laying around that would be big enough for a knife.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    Travis, Deer antlers, Elk etc. are not dense like sambar stag and they are very porous. Usually Stag refers to India Sambar Stag and not antler material. Alot of German made knives have European Stag, which is somewhat better than antler but, nothing like Sambar stag.
    You see antler handled knives alot and some makers resin fill them to make them more stable.
    edited November -1
    covers.jpg

Believe me gun_runner if I could get you a stag handled knife I would, but since there has been an embargo on India Sambar Stag it's hard to come by in a decent size. I only have one stag and it's pictured above. The bone in the middle makes a great knife. He has made alot of stag knives over the years, but getting someone to turn loose of one would be costly. The other possibility would be buying some stag, but where and how much it would cost is past my knowledge. I do see it at shows though. He has agreed to make me one small folder with stag that is from scrap basically. A couple of weeks ago he had a damascus lockback folder that was super nice, but well above the cost of a fixed blade.
    great looking knives. To be honest I havent seen to many as apealing as these. Stag would be my #1 choice but a good wood handle is always good to. Please let me know if you can get fixed knife as shown in the pic. Could you post a pic of the folders??

Larry
    edited November -1
    Larry, the last pic are folders, I will check with him in the next few days, it could be several months, but well worth the wait. If the micarta does anything for you I know where one like mine in a drop point blade is...at least a couple of days ago. What handle material do you want besides stag, because that ain't too likely.
    edited November -1
    Larry, the last pic are folders, I will check with him in the next few days, it could be several months, but well worth the wait. If the micarta does anything for you I know where one like mine in a drop point blade is...at least a couple of days ago. What handle material do you want besides stag, because that ain't too likely.
    Anything in an earthy tone. Nothing flashy. Man those are awesome!!!!!!! Then again, any of them would be great!!!

Larry
    edited November -1
    "A couple of weeks ago he had a damascus lockback folder that was super nice".
    How much was it and does he still have it? What material are the handles made out of.

Mad Dog
    edited November -1
    folders.jpg

Here are the folders folded...to the half stop position.
    edited November -1
    Travis it was on his table for $325 and had awesome stag, I thought about it seriously, because he said that he wouldn't ever gonna make a damascus knife again. It was rather large for a folder...when I call next week, I'll ask if he still has it.
    edited November -1
    Thanks, I would appreciate it. Drop me an email when you find out. And get to sleep.[|)][:D]

Mad Dog