In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Iver Johnson 55 or H&R 22 Revolver Comments

boeboeboeboe Member Posts: 3,331
edited December 2005 in General Discussion
Those cheap (or rather, inexpensive) Iver Johnson and H&R .22 revolvers, such as the Iver Johnson Model 55. Yes, I know these are low end revolvers, but I am thinking of picking up an inexpensive 22 for some fun plinking. I have a Colt Challenger. I also have two Taurus 941 .22 WMR stainless revolvers set back for my daughters. Fact is, I have far, far too many guns, but not too many 22 caliber handguns. I have been aware of the Iver's and H&R .22 revolvers for years, but never stooped to buying one. I have a couple of freinds who occasionally set up close to me at local gun shows, and have noticed a couple on their tables for $80 or $100. I am just thinking, picking up one of these might be a nice way to let my daughters plink, and practice for using their Taurus .22 magnum revolvers. Is there anything really wrong with the low end Iver Johnson or H&R revolvers, for casual plinking and practice?

GBLogo-170x60.gif

MEMBER SINCE 10/24/1999.

To err is human, to moo is bovine.

Comments

• Options
    JamesRKJamesRK Member Posts: 25,670 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I stooped to buying a H&R 922 about forty years ago. Excellent revolver. It immediately became my wife's favorite handgun and has been ever since. But, as badwrench said, the pull pin is a pain in the butt. About twenty-five years ago, I bought her a H&R 999. Same size, weight and balance as the 922, but top break. My intention was to get rid of the 922. She says the 999 is OK, but it will never replace the 922. I still have both of them. For the money, it's hard to beat H&R. Stay away from the .32 S&W (short) H&Rs (or any other .32 S&W (short) for that matter). You can do better throwing rocks.

MCsig01.jpg
    The more I see of my contemporaries, the more preferable the past becomes to the present.
    The road to hell is paved with COMPROMISE.
  • Options
    hughbetchahughbetcha Member Posts: 7,801 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got an H&R Model 99 in .32 Smith and Wesson. Its a top break revolver with a large butt, heavy frame. The gun is close to 100 years old, has probably fired 10,000 rounds, has had twetny owners, andbody ever paid more than figty bucks for it. And it still works great.
  • Options
    ace22ace22 Member Posts: 544 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've got both.An H&R 922 and an Iver Johnson 55A.Fun reliable plinkers.If they had ejectors they would be shot more.

I'm not a hippy!I'm a well groomed mountain man
  • Options
    wipalawipala Member Posts: 11,068
    edited November -1
    Nothing wrong with either one. They are the best of the low end pistols although the IJ is out of production and is getting harder to find in decent shape. Buy a new H&R it will do anything you need it to do.

"When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember that it is still an evil."
    - Max Lerner
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned a couple H&R revolvers to plink with. Always enjoyed them. Here's a 949 on the block that might sell for a fair price:

http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?item=40806020

(seller only has 1100 some feedbacks, don't send cash [;)])

408.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly
  • Options
    wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    My H&R is very reliable and accurate. A lot of fun to shoot. Mine even has the 22 mag cylinder.

"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which he proposes to pay off with your money." Gordon Liddy
  • Options
    anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up an H & R 922 (actually my wife bought it for me for Father's Day![:D]) earlier this year. It was just under $100 and needed cleaning really badly and now it works just fine for plinking.

I enjoy it a lot and have even gotten used to the pin-pull thing. It took a while, but now I'm OK with it. In fact, I kind of like it for the range ... no question as to whether it can fire when lying on the table with cylinder out![:D]
  • Options
    bama55bama55 Member Posts: 6,389 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    H&R 939 Ultra-Sidekick was my first purchased handgun (early '70's).
    Great shooter, and very dependable. Never had a problem with it.
    Wish I still had it.

Lifetime shooter - please speak louder.
    -
    "Don't send flowers when I die. Send money now so I can buy more guns and ammo."
  • Options
    ibffsteveibffsteve Member Posts: 582 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:

(seller only has 1100 some feedbacks, don't send cash [;)])[/font=Comic Sans MS][/size=3][/green]

Does anyone know(nunn) if that C&R eligable? Been watchin it but just haven't got off my butt to look if it is.[B)]

There is no pleasure in having nothing to do;the fun is having lots to do and not doing it.

Sig-Pic.jpg
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ibffsteve

Does anyone know(nunn) if that C&R eligable? Been watchin it but just haven't got off my butt to look if it is.[B)]

My book says this model was produced 1960-86 and reintroduced in 1992.

408.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Check out what I've got on the block!
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly