In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

decisions...decisions what would do?

bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What if the overtime Gods smiled down on you and said "go forth and make all the money you can" thats if you want a home life.

Well this situation has presented itself to me it may be with me for some time to come.

Question is, what to buy with all this extra $$$$$$.

Im talking aroung $450 extra each week. Do I have a rifle custom 700 Remington built for around $2000 (any caliber that you can imagine) or do I buy one from the custom shop and have just what they offer in the way of standard calibers for a little less.

I know when and if the time comes and someone else had to sell these(God forbid that my kids sell them)[:(] that the custom built rig would bring less money, to the one who is not in the know to what went into this rifle. Where as the factory built with 40XB on the reciever would bring much more.

These decisions are up to how long this overtime lasts and how many new items I want to add to my toy collection.

Custom or factory?????

DANG

Help me [:p]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER

Comments

• He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry to throw a damp rag on ya, but put all you can into paying off bills or getting ahead on the mortgage. Then if there is some left over a toy or two (and one for the wife if any) might be a nice reward.

He Dog
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    To hell with the mortgage! Get a gun!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • bolthandlebolthandle Member Posts: 1,213 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    He Dog: what if there were no pressing bills, no mortgage?

The wife says go for it as long as the other monthly bills are taking care of and you smile on her from time to time.[:D]

Which is my case.[;)]

Bolt

PEACE THROUGH SUPERIOR FIREPOWER
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Custom shop.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,449 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bolt, check your pulse, I think you died and went to heaven.[:0]

I personally would probably never get the pleasure out of a custom rifle to pay the freight, unless it were to be a sort of working mans custom, designed to be a very accurate, well fit hunting rifle rather than a beautiful collectable. I would either go for the custom shop rifle, or what I did was found an older rifle that fit me perfectly, had Der Gebirgsjager rebarrel/rechamber it (beautifully, I might add!) and mounted a new Burris scope on it. For me that is as good as it gets, I really love the older ones, and this one is from the time I was in high school dreaming of such rifles. Do put some in the bank for a rainy day though, and kiss that wife of yours and take her to dinner, that one is a keeper my friend![^]

He Dog
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Tell ya what bolt,since this is
    something that you really shouldn't
    make a hurried decision on,howbout's
    you just let me keep all that extra money
    in a safe place for ya while you settle down,
    take your time and make a well studied decision.?

How 'bout it BUDDY[?]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • TwoDogsTwoDogs Member Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sit on the dough for awhile.
    Take time.
    Look for deals...with built in profit.
    I lean towards good desireable out of the box items...just bread and butter stuff. Custom is cool but who may want your current quim 20 years down the road.

"Always drink upstream from the herd"
    Will Rogers
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Save,Save,Save!
  • Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    #1 max out 401(k) or IRA contributions
    #2 pay ahead on rent or mortgage
    #3 be patient, wait for deals

avitar.jpg
    Semper Fi

Remember Ruby Ridge.

Experience is the best teacher and usually charges accordingly.

crawfordsville.gif
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly