In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

How is this for a new law ?

select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
edited May 2005 in General Discussion
Just heard on the news that a bicyclist was hit by a driver in SC. Driver only has eyesight in one eye. Now some politician is introducing a bill that all one eye drivers be banned from driving in SC. Any comments on this ?

Comments

• Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    well since persons with vision in only one eye have severly inhibited depth perception, i should think this whould already be a law

be prepared for the ada to fight this one all the way to the supreme court. by all means, lets endanger the public at large so a limited number of people dont feel alienated or discrtiminated against

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Are you saying to classify drivers.. Ie.. one armed , one legged, hearing impaired, para, BTW the govt. does not consider monular eyesight as a disability if the other eye is functioning.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my dad was blind in one eye. He drove just fine and never had a wreck. Drivers under the influence of POT (see post) booze or other drugs are the real killers on the road.
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i am more concerned about a old lady doing 35 on the interstate with a blinker on, and most concerned about cell phone use while driving
  • Options
    KEVD18KEVD18 Member Posts: 15,037
    edited November -1
    allow me to clarify: i am of the opinion that any person with a disability that might hinder their roadworthiness should be subject to, at a minum, yearly review of their driving ability

are there people missing an arm that drive better than me? i bet there are but on the same note, i'm sure there are people that are missing an arm that cant drive at all.

bpost: your father was one of a rare few whose disability had a negligible effect on him. others are not so lucky, but hide out under the protection of the ada.

its not my feeling that, just because a person has a disability, we should change the standars with which we operate to suit their needs. some people shouldnt be driving motor vehicles.

this is by no means an attack on disables people, merely a minor rant on the feasibility of allowing certain people the PRIViLEGE(sp) of driving.....

nremtpatch.jpgNever bring an ambulance to a gun fight till it's over.av-164.gif
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Here in Florida, when you get your license, there is an eyetest for depth perception, fail it, they have you go get whatever it is corrected and if it aint, no license.. But it dont stop someone that passed a long time ago from renewing their license by mail, maybe after losing partial sight.. Lots of people with cataracts driving around.

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Kevd18, besides having a couple of accidents when real young ,,knock on wood I have not had another accident in 31 years. I do have very good depth perception. Yep.. I have monular eyesight. I don't consider myself disabled BUT IF the State of South Carolina takes my drivers license I will sue them till the cows come home all the way to the U.S. Supreme Court. I dare them to try. I will close my rental property immediately since driving is a must to maintain it.
  • Options
    dolfandolfan Member Posts: 4,159
    edited November -1
    This law sounds like a complete violation of the Americans with Disabilities Act. (ADA)
  • Options
    1911a1-fan1911a1-fan Member Posts: 51,193 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could not have been the guy on the bike who think he is a car could it?
    I hate these people who think they can run with traffic, or those cross country a holes who take up one half of a two lane country road with no shoulder, I have better than 20/20 vision and have almost hit these pr!%#s several times

Sure blame it on the handi-cap
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    bicycles belong on the side of the road. I know the law says "share the road" but they don't belong in the lanes.

edited November -1
    Lawmakers that propose knee jerk reactions to a tragic incident are a real problem. This legislation is the type of law that gets on the books and then gets used to generate revenue for the State. To enforce the law a geek career bureaucrat will come up with regulations to comply with the law. They will consist of tens of thousands of words. They are to help protect us from the bad guys.

Then you will have a huge addition to the Department of Motor Vehicles. Your wait in line to get a new, high intensity computer controlled vision check will exceed three hours. Then you will be met by a snarling worker that thinks they are doing you a favor. But, alas; the machine bulb burns out on the vision tester. They need to go out to bid for the bulb, State contracts require proper posting. thirty days later the bulb is ordered for $234.50, plus installation at $90.00 per hour, 2 hour minimum. The same bulb is across the street at Radio Shack for $39.95, it screws in the back of the machine; but that's a different story. Now ole Snarley is more than happy to tell you to go to the back of the line because you did not fill out subparagraph 5a correctly. That paragraph requires a notarized copy of your proof of citizenship. Plus you must submit an affidavit of why you want to drive.

Finally you get your peepers checked and by golly they work just fine. You can see the train crossing the road and will stop for it; the State said so. The State is now happy to charge you $104.50 for your License, eye test required every two years. You leave the DMV late for work and get pinched in a speed trap on a four lane divided road through an open area where another bureaucrat set the speed at 50 MPH to "Save Lives." That ticket cost you $140.00 and the local Mayor is nice enough to not report the ticket to your insurance Company. His town appreciates the donation. You get to work and the Boss hands you a notification that wages are being cut ten percent across the board because complying with new State Workers Comp and ADA regulations just cost your Company several million bucks.

America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. [:D]
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,389 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Bicycles should be licensed and pay state and federal road taxes in order to be on the road.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    we are being invaded by the 49 cc (No license required) mini scooters and bikes now..also the electric ones.. PITA

yo-yo.gif
  • Options
    BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Back to the disabled drivers part.

There's a company down the road that custom builds mini-vans to suit the needs of a disabled driver.Be it just a wheelchair lift,hand controls for those who can't use their legs etc.

BUT,give me a break!I've had one particular van in my shop that is completely controlled with electrical switches.That's right,no steering wheel,nothing but switches!!

The lady that drives it only has use of ONE HAND!!Everything on this van is controlled with that one hand.Steering,braking,turn signals,shifting gears,EVERYTHING!

It's just an accident waiting to happen.

Now,don't get me wrong.Everyone has the right to be mobile,but geeesh,there's got to be a limit.[V]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • Options
    Tommy_2_pocketsTommy_2_pockets Member Posts: 288 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bpost1958
    Lawmakers that propose knee jerk reactions to a tragic incident are a real problem.

America, the land of the free and the home of the brave. [:D]

hear hear !

If it moves, salute it. If it doesn't move, pick it up. If you can't pick it up, paint it.
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pass all the laws you want...it won't stop accidents from happening. Do people on bicycles only get hit by one-eyed drivers? I think not. Do we really need a law for something that rarely happens? I think not. WE HAVE ENOUGH LAWS. There is no law that can keep people from displaying impaired judgment...regardless of their so-called physical impairments.

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apperntly not many of you live on the interstates. Spend some time out there and you will come up with a very long list of people who should not be behind the wheel of a vehicle. I don't really care about the two lane roads but interstate travel is a serious place that should only be occupied by those who can immediatly handle all kinds of situations and have 100% control of thier vehicle without relying on gadgets to help them on thier way. Intertate highways should be free of those with disablities INCLUDING TRUCK DRIVERS WITH DISABLILITES and free of those who do not posses the skills to control thier vehicle with ANY situation presented. Too many people die every day on the interstates because they treat them like a back country road and do not operate thier vehicle in a responsible manner. One other thing is the LALA drivers out for a Sunday sightseeing drive on the interstate needs to be removed ASAP because these people are the number one cause of accidents. Call me whatever but as a professional driver with over one million accident free miles on the interstate system I feel I am qualified to post my feelings without fear of attack from someone who only hits the Big Road once a month to go visit grandma!

Flame away[:D]

Lonnie the truckdrivin snob who hates people who cannot drive![:D][:D]

• Options
    dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    My state has a test for periferal vision you must pass. I don't think anyone even knows it is part of the test unless they fail.

On another note, my cousins husband lost sight in his right eye but races Late Models and doesn't get in any more crashes than he did before loosing sight in the eye. Thought he does spend more time precariously close to the top of the track.
  • Options
    bigride203bigride203 Member Posts: 625 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Oh by all means...thank God for all those professional truck drivers who practice righteous judgment and safe driving practices all the time on the interstates!

Stupid drivers are stupid drivers regardless of the vehicle they are driving. Anybody who thinks you can eliminate stupid drivers from the road is a stupid driver. Idiots abound...deal with it...and be prepared to dodge them from time to time while you are on the road.

You dudes get lost now, ya hear!
  • Options
    PJPJ Member Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My former Brother in Law lost an eye in Korea in service to his country. When he came home, he got a job, supported his family and drove every day. No accidents.
    Pete

"Be kind to your neighbor, he knows where you live"
  • Options
    CrittergitterCrittergitter Member Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 7mm nut
    Apperntly not many of you live on the interstates.

There is a good reason for this!

If we lived on the interstates, all of our houses would block traffic. [:o)]

If your beliefs aren't based in fact, TRUTH is the first casualty...
    penguins.gif
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Well I got some good replies however some of you think one eyed drivers are disabled. Not the case. There is an update..I found out who started this.. Representative Seth Whipper D- North Charleston became interested in this after hearing about a death of an Olympic cycling hopeful Patrick Wonders in March 2004. He had considered filing a bill last week but will hold off till next year. Well folks Mr Whipper will be getting a notorized certified letter advising him he is on notice. If he should continue to try to eliminate me from driving I shall get a Judge to put an injunction on the whole mess until the appropriate court hears it. This Democrat will learn real quick I am not tolerating any mouth from him. One again one eyed drivers are not disabled. I draw no relief from the government.
  • Options
    slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Driving is 90% judgement.

Art
  • Options
    Henry0ReillyHenry0Reilly Member Posts: 10,878 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by select-fire
    Just heard on the news that a bicyclist was hit by a driver in SC. Driver only has eyesight in one eye. Now some politician is introducing a bill that all one eye drivers be banned from driving in SC. Any comments on this ?

btt
    I used to recruit for the NRA until they sold us down the river (again!) in Heller v. DC. See my auctions (if any) under username henryreilly