In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

17hmr?

270 Deer Slayer270 Deer Slayer Member Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited August 2003 in General Discussion
I was wondering how loud a .17 is compared to a .22 and something like a .223, I want to get a good wood chuck gun for next year and I noticed when I shoot at them with a .243, they take off because the noise is so loud. When I shoot at the with a .22, they dont know what it is and just stay there and look around. I was thinking of getting a .223 or some caliber around that size but I think the sound will be to loud. Is the .17 a lot quiter than something like a .223 or 22-250 and is it a lot louder than a .22lr

"If it's brown, it's down" crosshair.gif

Comments

• Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't forget that there is some experimental work on barrels with built-in mini-compensators (for lack of better terms) that is supposed to significantly reduce the report but not need a class III permit to own it. I haven't heard about it for quite a while so I don't know what's up with the idea.
    The .17 should be slightly louder than a .22 mag but quieter than the .223 and much quieter than the 22-250 and especially the .220 Swift (my favorite varmit round).

Having a predictable enemy is better than having an ally you can't trust.
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Paul the .17 is just a little bit louder, than a 22. The 223 is loud!

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    spinyspiny Member Posts: 3,117
    edited November -1
    But dang that .223 is FUN!

spiny
    'not all who wander are lost'
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    Paul the .17 is just a little bit louder, than a 22. The 223 is loud!

pacamo

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!

Alright, because I want something quite, I'll have to look at yours when we come down for deer season, Im thinken of getting the savage because there not too expensive. I keep telling blackie that we should go down and we should all shoot skeet or something. Is the .17 accurate up to 250 yrds?

• Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    270, As big a fan as I am of the little 17HMR, it is not a 250 yard varmint round! 150and below it is simply amazing! Past 150 it is losing steam rather quickly and dropping significantly! I have killed cleanly with it at 202,206 and 206 but they were all head or neck shots and the scope was "dialed" up just like on the long range varminters. How much is it slowing down and dropping? I shot an orange at the annual Groundhog Day shoot this year at 251 yards....first shot. Had dialed 22 clicks into a 4.4-14 Nikon and centered the orange...the bullet didn't exit the orange! GHD
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Ok, I was just wondering, most shots when I shoot at groundhogs are 150 yrds and below, a lot of them are about 30-40 yrds.