In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Speaking of Tranny Problems...

trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I've got a '95 Geo Prizm with 115,000 miles on her, and an interesting problem has just reared its head which, I assume, is tranny-related.

I noticed that, parking the car in the driveway, as I passed "R" on my way to "P", there was a purring noise and a vibration. I put it in Park---nothing. Put it in Reverse again, and lo and behold, a purring and vibration again. Went to Neutral, then Drive, then L2 and L1---nothing. So I checked the transaxle fluid, and it was about 3/4" below the two notches labeled "HOT" on the dipstick (and I'd driven this thing about five miles or so coming home from work.) Not having any Dexron III at hand, I drove to a service station (about two miles there and two miles back), and---leaving the car running---did the 'ol add-and-measure boogie, dumping in about half a quart of juice before the dipstick was registering near the normal level. Got in, did the shift-the-gears routine, and---no purring, and only slightly more vibration in R than any other gear. Problem solved, right?

Nope.

Drove it this morning, stopping to get a newspaper at the Kiwik-Shop. Got paper, started up car, put it into Reverse---and purring and vibration as I backed up, lasting for a few seconds, then stopping.

Anyone else have this sort of problem?

I have a funny feeling I know where my tax refund will be going...

Comments

• LowriderLowrider Member Posts: 6,587
    edited November -1
    I think you diagnosed your own problem in the 5th & 6th words of your post. "Geo Prizm" [:D]

Lord Lowrider the Loquacious.

Member:Secret Select Society of Suave Stylish Smoking Jackets

She was only a fisherman's daughter,
    But when she saw my rod she reeled.
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Lowrider
    I think you diagnosed your own problem in the 5th & 6th words of your post. "Geo Prizm" [:D]

HAHAHAH.. but didnt prizms use the same drivetrain as corollas? [?]

bigun2.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, having worked for a car-rental company as an AP person, I can tell you we had far more problems with the trannys in the Fords and Dodge Caravans than in any of the Hondas or Corollas or Prizms we had in our fleet. Our fleet mechanic was of the opinion that the Prizms and Corollas were very sturdy little cars, mechanically speaking, so that's why I went with it.