In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

FBI: Watch for people with almanacs

alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
edited December 2003 in General Discussion
(AP) The FBI is warning police nationwide to be alert for people carrying almanacs, cautioning that the popular reference books covering everything from abbreviations to weather trends could be used for terrorist planning.

In a bulletin sent Christmas Eve to about 18,000 police organizations, the FBI said terrorists may use almanacs "to assist with target selection and pre-operational planning."

It urged officers to watch during searches, traffic stops and other investigations for anyone carrying almanacs, especially if the books are annotated in suspicious ways.

"The practice of researching potential targets is consistent with known methods of al Qaeda and other terrorist organizations that seek to maximize the likelihood of operational success through careful planning," the FBI wrote.

The Associated Press obtained a copy of the bulletin this week and verified its authenticity.

"For local law enforcement, it's just to help give them one more piece of information to raise their suspicions," said David Heyman, a terrorism expert for the Washington-based Center for Strategic and International Studies. "It helps make sure one more bad guy doesn't get away from a traffic stop, maybe gives police a little bit more reason to follow up on this."

The FBI noted that use of almanacs or maps may be innocent, "the product of legitimate recreational or commercial activities." But it warned that when combined with suspicious behavior - such as apparent surveillance - a person with an almanac "may point to possible terrorist planning."

The publisher for The Old Farmers Almanac said Monday terrorists would probably find statistical reference books more useful than the collections of Americana in his famous publication of weather predictions and witticisms.

"While we doubt that our editorial content would be of particular interest to people who would wish to do us harm, we will certainly cooperate to the fullest with national authorities at any level they deem appropriate," publisher John Pierce said.

The FBI said information typically found in almanacs that could be useful for terrorists includes profiles of cities and states and information about waterways, bridges, dams, reservoirs, tunnels, buildings and landmarks. It said this information is often accompanied by photographs and maps.

The FBI urged police to report such discoveries to the local U.S. Joint Terrorism Task Force.

cart205.gif

troop_blink3.gif

Comments

• Options
    Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    The Farmers Almanac can get you jacked up as a terrorist....WTH?

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Yeah the guys that carry those are targeting Moonshine stills, trailer parks, and junkyard's!!![:I]

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I hope those bad guys never find out about mapquest or GPS programs.

Old? First you forget names; then you forget faces; then you forget to pull your zipper up; then you forget to pull your zipper down.
    standard.jpg
  • Options
    IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with wundudnee, this is yet more evidence that the term "feebs" is perhaps a compliment when applied to our elite Federal Gestapo agencies. They expect the perps to think at their level, when in fact most of our enemies are not as stupid as that.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    So...........I guess that I should stop using maps as we sit on the side of the road plotting out beaver flowages...I mean afterall,we have traps,axes and other stuff in the truck...ohboy...I wondered why every damd place we went up here in the woods we saw police of somekind yesterday....sigh.....
  • Options
    RancheroPaulRancheroPaul Member Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Now listen carefully........it's best to "wrap it in plastic, then carefully duct tape it," (Your Farmer's Almanac), then wave it over your head while presenting the Middle Finger of your other hand to anyone wanting to "Inspect" your Almanac! Remember, you need its maps to find your way Home!!!!!!

"Holy Freakin' Tomatoes!"
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    I wonder what ole' Ben Franklin would think if he found out people's rights were being infringed because they had a copy of his Poor Richard's Almanac?[B)]

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    I am from the government; I am here to help you.[}:)]

When Clinton lied, no one died.
    "It is fortunate for governments that the people do not think. ADOLPH HITLER"
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is absurd, it's sickening, and it ain't gonna end, unless we get a new administration in the White House that's willing to live in the real world and totally dump garbage like the "Patriot Acts" and all associated legislation. More and more this country is starting to resemble Nazi Germany...."Papers, please....Vas ist? You are travelling mit a foreign passport, und gerkarrying a fish yet?* Und vas ist you are doing mit der Almanacken?"

*See my post "No Pets Allowed? ("Fish Story")
  • Options
    XracerXracer Member Posts: 1,990
    edited November -1
    Anybody carrying the "Old Farmer's Almanac" is bound to be a suspicious character. After all, isn't that a bullet hole in the upper left hand corner.

And those articles on how to keep milk from going sour, etc.....obviously a terrorist code of some sort.
  • Options
    HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    God absolutely forbid that we should be watching young dark complected Middle East guys.

I find it harder every day to believe we are being told the truth about the Trade Towers..we don't seem to have the will to go after the type of people who did it.Fine to attack other countries..but scrutinize citizens in this country and let the ilegals walk freely about.

Sure looks like a naked power grab to me.

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • Options
    FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The profiling may also include people with tape around rimmed glasses or plastic pocket protectors. [}:)]

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif
    Proud Member of
    The Secret Society of
    Black Helicopter Pilots
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    What about my Funk & Wagnall's????

Is that suspicious too??

Look mom, I'm a terrorist!

This man at the Homeland Security Dept is a nut!! IMHO he doesn't have a clue!
    His newest rule about foreign airline carriers having to have armed security aboard when coming to, or overflying the U.S. is a joke.

MEMO TO TOM RIDGE: Our own airlines pilots are not armed!!!!!

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This is the stupidest thing I've heard since duct tape and plastic sheeting.
  • Options
    trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Highball: Try the following link---

http://members.fortunecity.com/911/

Suspicious? Oh, yes indeed.