In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Wal-Marts suspend or fire employees for gossiping!

jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Just found out tonight that Wal-Marts can suspend or fire an employee for "gossiping"! My ol lady is suspended and maybe fired due to me making a complaint about a Wal-Mart associate cussing my son out on the phone. Best thing is it was on speaker phone and I was standing right there to hear it! According to the dictionary, gossip: to chatter about others. I reckon Wal-Marts employees cannot talke while working. 3 of her superiors asked her why she was upset and she told them about our son being cussed out and about me filing a complaint. Another person overheard her tell these 2 superiors so now Wal-Marts says my ol lady was "gossiping". When did Sam Walton rewrit the Bill of Rights as to free speech? Haas anyone else ever heard of bull crap such as this. Gossiping is a fireing offence! man do We need a GOOD lawyer to bust Wal-Marts down a few notches! I have e-mails and calls to Bentonville so lets see what happens. I think I will even call the local press and my ol lady will call the Labor Relations Board. Makes you so mad you want to.....[:(!]

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
Rita Mae Brown

Comments

• Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    Write a Letter to the Editor in the local paper. They hate bad publicity especially over a situtation that sounds like discrimination against a female worker with children.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wal-Marts since Sam's death have steadily declined. The one near my house has turned into a pure pit, you can't even hardly get through the aisles for all the crap laying about.

They gotta be payin off someone in the Fire Dept., exit doors are even blocked. And when I called last year about the aisles and exit situation I was told that it would be immediately investigated. That was over 6 months ago and if anything it may actually be worse.

Then there is all this "he said, she said" nonsense you hear about, and other "soap opera" hijinks ... makes you wonder, it certainly does.

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The second string of Walmart manager's just don't get it; their stores are as stated above going south. They used to care about their service and showed pride in doing business, now they just profit take. I agree, send it to the paper.[:(!][:(!]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • rmeyerrmeyer Member Posts: 566 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Bill of Rights and a companies policy two entirely different things. Doubt the Labor Relations Board is going to be much help.
  • IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    JJ, since when does responding to your manager(s)'s question(s) count as "gossip?!" I bet it has much more to do with an entirely different matter, such as the complaint (is the associate involved with your son related to, or a special (in any sense of the word) friend of, the store manager?) or some previous beef - legit or not - with your wife or you. Sure seems like there is much more here than meets the eye. I would think that even in Wally World, personnel / store managers have to have some training, and this should not, on its face be sufficient for termination. If you don't get good results otherwise, a wrongful discharge suit would be on my list to consider. Even if she is reinstated, though, she should start looking because being over-ruled will give an arbitrary manager still more incentive to seek a "legitimate reason" to terminate her in the future.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain)
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I'M cheesed off at Wal-Mart because I bought goodies for my co-workers this morning, and the ninny at the checkout stand put one small bag of candy in a sack, and all the rest in another sack, and I end up walking out of the place with the big sack thinking I had everything...GAAAAH! I liked the way they did it at the other Wally-World before they closed it to open up this other monstrosity---the checkout person ALWAYS handed you your stuff, so nothing got left behind. At this new one, they bag your stuff on a little Lazy Suzan thing, then turn it toward you. I shoulda checked, yeah, but I never imagined they'd use a separate bag for that little bit of candy, especially with all the room in the other bag!