In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

who hunts bunnies like this

headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Get extreme in targeting brush-pile rabbits

Discover the best ways to get wintertime bunnies running for cover

By Alan Davy
Fishing and Hunting News - Feb. 17, 2004

Change your tactics and improve your luck with winter rabbits.

Many times on winter rabbit hunts I've found brush piles and fallen trees thick with sets of tracks.

I'd give the piles a couple kicks, gun up and ready . but rarely would anything come out.

That all changed when a hunting buddy showed me I had to get extreme about stomping brush piles.

The first time we went I was amused but doubtful about his method.

As we approached a brushy fallen cedar tree surrounded by tracks, he set down his shotgun and climbed on top of the trunk and started bouncing it up and down.

As branches cracked and snow cascaded down, I began to suspect he was nuts and so I lowered my gun.

But just then a brown blur zipped out from under the tree and dodged by me.

I spun around and got off a shot but missed the rabbit.

The lesson learned

One or two kicks won't budge rabbits. They don't leave their brush piles until they feel the whole world is crashing down around them.

If you find a spot that is obviously being used by a rabbit, but two or three minutes of stomping doesn't get it out, try this trick: Walk away and leave it alone for a couple of minutes then go back and resume stomping.

I don't know why but sometimes it's the return visit that puts a stubborn bunny over the edge.

The idea behind stomping on brush piles is to make any nearby bunny feel like their home is crashing down on them.

It's impossible to know which side of a brush pile a rabbit will exit, but often it will choose the side with the thickest cover on the ground or the shortest distance to the next pile.

So, if you're the shooter, stand back about 20 feet from the stomper and watch the thick side.

If you've brought a third hunter, you can cover both sides of the pile.

In the case of a fallen tree, escaping rabbits prefer to dash from the root wad toward the narrow end of the trunk because the branches protect their flanks while they get up speed.

Stand where you don't block this exit route but can see it well enough for a shot.

If the end of the tree is blocked, the rabbit will squirt out one side or the other and your odds of getting a shot are lower.

This game is all close-range shooting at running targets.

The best weapon is a shotgun with an improved cylinder choke to open up the pattern at ranges of 15 to 25 yards.

A full choke is a handicap in this game.

No. 6 shot patterns wider than heavier shot at close range but it's heavy enough to stop rabbits in their tracks.

Leave the .22 at home - you won't have any sitting targets.

Wear hunter orange including a hat so that you know where your partners are at all times. You should not shoot if you don't know where they are.

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy

Comments

• Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I thought bunnies lived in cool little appartments down holes that they got to by going through small, hand carved, arched doors, in the base of an old oak or maple tree.

Should I quit looking for the little doors?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I have employed this technique to deadly effect for years. I have found that it is often useful to bring younger kids 9-12 year olds to do my stomping. This gets them involved in hunting, and also makes them active participants. I was my uncle's stomper for a number of years.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to about a thousand years ago when I could walk a few miles. Now I just remember and dream..It does work..

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • mustangmustang Member Posts: 615 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i could see this working. but i just send the dog in on one end of the brushline and walk off to one side about 10 to 20 yrds out and there are normaly rabbits running all over the place. i carry the mini-14, for some of them show up 30 to 50 yrds out. they seem a little jumpie here. they get hunted both by me and dog, and i've seen a fox or 2 also, another reason for the .223. it is a nice way to kill an afternoon. nice walk in the woods, snowshoes on, gun ready, dog sniffen an hunting. hummmmm i should go out today!!!! [:D]

Warroad.gif
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use the same technique it has always worked.
  • redrebelredrebel Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I usually hunt the from the back of a moving truck woth a spot light while bouncing through the desert. [:D]

powder_solvent.JPG

Oh Hoppe's No. 9 you are so fine.

I need to get me some more of those bullet propulsion devices.

One shot, one kill, 29 more for the thrill.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great info, I am going to try that this weekend.Here in NY i thought the Yotes were keeping the rabbits down and gave up after
    lots of brush stomping, but i will give this a try.....Thanks[:D]

use_deer.jpg
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've used a similar technique for years, although that is a last resort after staring into the brush for a minute or so first. A lot of times this unnerves the rabbits and they'll come blasting out of there too, and if not, I'm pretty good at picking them out (particularly thier eyes) and getting a nice clean head-shot.

The 10mm - either you've got it, or you don't get it...
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I did it once and got bit by a rattlesnake...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    hears a thought, go find you a good beagle and let him get the rabbit out of the woodpile!

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    I've used this technique, maybe not to the effect their explaining, but I've kicked brush piles and shot bunnies. Heck of a lot easier to have a good pair of Beagles though.
    Thank goodness he mentioned they sat their gun down before cowboyin up on the brush pile[:D][:D][:D]

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Same way I been doing it since a kid. However sometimes a covey of quail would fly out. I always used #8's
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    I just give the pile a good shake and then go about 25 yds away and wait for a few minutes. They always pop up to see if the threat is gone for good at which time a 22 in the ear works well. My little beagle/fiest mix use to go in there and run them out. I miss that little dog.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I had Beagles I'd let them do most of the work. Now I have to kick and stomp....Probably why I go after them less frequently now, but we practice the same methods. Once in a while a Grouse will pop up out of the piles too[:0]

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Always went Bunnyhuntin' with a well-trained dog.

Never had any trouble in getting them to jump out of their seat/hole and start running.
    Sometimes they did sit tight and once I even had to litterally kick the back of it's head a little. I think it was scared too much or cramped up in the legs or something - got it running but didn't get a good shot as it would be right up it's "Exit".

I remember my first bunny too.
    It sprang about 20 meters away and ran from left to right in almost a circlelike line - keeping a 20-25 meter distance to me - one shot and a perfect roll to where it landed and laid completely still.

Went over to pick it up, grabbed it by the hind-legs - right when I grabbed hold of the legs and started lifting - it turned it's head, looked at me with it's bit glistering eyes and began a ..
    Well began a really truly annoying cry.

I felt a whole lot of things right there and suddenly my father stood beside me, saying something that I had to have him repeat, because I didn't hear it. I was totally paused.

He said he had shouted to me, that I'd give it a whack with the wrist of my hand, right at the neck - but he also said I didn't reply or seem to think so he went about 50 metres over to me.

When he finally stood before me, I came back to my sences and did as I always did when I was brought as a Bummy-Stomper - killed it by wringing its neck.
    Man what a weird feeling - to shoot a bunny, hold it while it cries for it's life or for pain - then finish it off.

That was a big mouthfull for me at that time - but will always treasure that moment with my father.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a great and thorough bunny hunting strategy! Wish I'd known that about 50 years ago. On the positive side, I guess I have contributed to increasing the rabbit population.[:D]
  • 4GodandCountry4GodandCountry Member Posts: 3,968
    edited November -1
    I'd like to see someone try that in the multifloral rose bushes that the rabbits hide in at my place. If nothing else I'd certainly get a good chuckle. [:D]

"Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet."
  • orca44magorca44mag Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I first began hunting at about 12, my uncles used to send me to jump on top of the brush piles. It worked, cause THEY all got plenty of shots!
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I currently just have one rabbit beagle,usually keep a pair but I sold my jip.I let my dogs or dog do the work,if there is a rabbit in there he will flush then run it.But training is a bummer,I will walk through the briars and brush to teach the dogs thats where the rabbits are.And its worked for yrs for me,I dont like a dog that will run a cold trail.

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • trstonetrstone Member Posts: 833 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I think a particularly effective method would be to stand in front of the woodpile, holding a pistol to the head of one of the bunny's relatives. Then proclaim in a loud voice how the bunny has five seconds to come out, or his/her mom/dad/brother/favorite aunt/whatever gets it. I suppose, however, that the efficaciousness of the method will hinge upon the woodpile bunny's altruism. A possible refinement of this method would be to buy a pet-store bunny, and tart it up to look like a wild bunny to use as the "hostage"....