In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

How to Freeze a Wild Turkey?

allen griggsallen griggs Member Posts: 35,505 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am thinking of trying turkey hunting this year. I have got a lot of these birds on my land.
If I get one, can it be frozen whole? I would like to freeze it for at least a month, maybe until Fourth of July.

Comments

• salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well you have to pluck it, remove the entrails, cut the head and neck off. After that, wash the inside cavity, make sure it is clean. I then stuff it with saran wrap, then wrap with tin foil, then wrap with frezzer paper. I have had them sit in the freezer for a year, come out tasting great. Though most would say you dont want them in the freezer longer then 9 months.

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    We used to freeze them, and not eat them until Thanksgiving. Big thing to remember is to wrap them very, very well and make sure they're airtight. Wild turkey is drier than store-bought anyway, so you don't want to have to deal with any freezer burn to exaggerate the problem.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,447 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I keep vodka in the freezer, but just dring wild turkey with a little ice.

He Dog
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    just shoot um pluck um and drop straight into the turkey fryers my plan

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy