In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

NY Spring Turkey season starts this Sunday:

TrinityScrimshawTrinityScrimshaw Member Posts: 9,350 ✭✭✭
edited April 2005 in General Discussion
Turkey hunting is just about my most favorite thing to do.

I have been speaking with friends down South who have been hunting Turkey hunting for over a month now. This Sunday the NY spring season starts, and come rain or shine I will be in the woods hunting this darn bird.

Last weekends NY youth hunt was almost rained out, and it has been raining up here five out of the last six days. The creeks should be raging by this weekend.

I have been waiting since the last day of season last spring to do this again. That was the day I took my bird that won a 2004 spring turkey hunting contest. A firend down in MO already has a bird that weighed over 26 lbs. I may have a long hill to climb to match his bird, but if it rains up here wet birds weigh more...[;)]

Below is a cut & paste e-mail that I received from our States Environmental Conservation Department. I can't say I agree with their suggestion of putting an orange panel in a tree near where you're set up at.

Trinity +++

DEC ENCOURAGES HUNTERS TO ENJOY THE SPRING TURKEY SEASON
Season Opens May 1st, Hunters Urged to Practice Safety First

New York State Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC) Acting Commissioner Denise M. Sheehan today reminded hunters that the spring turkey season opens on Sunday, May 1, 2005 and continues throughout the month of May. Commissioner Sheehan also urged all hunters to review safety guidelines prior to the season, to keep themselves and others safe at all times.

"Many hunters around New York look forward to the excitement of spring turkey hunting, which requires an understanding of turkey behavior as well as good field skills," Commissioner Sheehan said. "Before going afield, I urge sportsmen and women to review all hunting regulations and guidelines. Good luck to all our turkey hunters. We look forward to another safe and successful turkey season."

Spring turkey hunting has become a popular outdoor activity for nearly 100,000 New Yorkers, including several thousand junior hunters who participated in the second annual youth turkey hunting weekend, April 23-24, 2005. Final results for the youth hunt have not yet been compiled, but a number of hunters reported that this was a great and successful opportunity for young hunters to experience the thrill and satisfaction of spring turkey hunting.

Details of the 2005 spring turkey hunting season are as follows:

* Hunting is permitted in most areas of the State, except for New York City and Long Island;

* Season dates are Sunday, May 1, 2005 through Tuesday, May 31, 2005;

* Shooting hours are a half hour before sunrise to noon each day;

* Hunters are allowed to take two bearded turkeys during the season, with a bag limit of one bird per day;

* Hunters must have a turkey hunting permit in addition to their small game hunting or sportsman license. Hunters who have not yet obtained their turkey hunting permit or who do not have a hunting license that is valid for the spring season can obtain them from any license issuing agent;

* Hunters may not use rifles or handguns. Hunters can hunt only with a shotgun and shot sizes no larger than # 2 or smaller than # 8, or with a bow and arrow;

* Hunters must fill out the tag which comes with your permit and immediately attach it to any turkey you shoot;

* Hunters must call 1-866-426-3778 (1-866 GAMERPT) to report your turkey within 48 hours; and

* All other wild turkey hunting regulations remain in effect. See the DEC website at:
www.dec.state.ny.us/websi...khunt.html or this year's Hunting and Trapping Regulations Guide for details.

Hunting safety should be a primary emphasis throughout the spring turkey season, as it should be during any hunting season. Some important safety tips for turkey hunting include:

* Do not stalk turkeys - it is too dangerous! Most turkey hunting injuries happen when one hunter stalks another;

* Never wear turkey colors - red, white or blue;

* Assume anything that sounds like a turkey is another turkey hunter;

* Call with a large tree at your back. Wrap an orange vest around a tree near your calling location to let other hunters know you are there;

* If you see another hunter....DON'T MOVE. Speak up in a loud, clear voice to identify yourself;

* Be especially careful when carrying a decoy or harvested bird in the field - keep it covered if possible; and

* Make sure you see the turkey's beard before shooting. Be sure of your target ... and beyond!

The National Wild Turkey Federation has taken a leadership role in promoting turkey restoration and hunting safety. For more information about hunting tactics and safety tips, go to their website: www.nWTH.org/new_hunting_tactics.html.

How successful hunters will be this spring is difficult to predict, but DEC biologists expect a higher harvest than in spring 2004, when the total take of birds (26,300) was the lowest since 1994. This decline was due primarily to several years of poor reproductive success, and a phenomenon reported by many hunters that male turkeys ("gobblers") were unusually quiet and less responsive to hunters calls. Reasons for this behavior are unknown, but field surveys by DEC last August and data from birds harvested during fall 2004 suggest that turkey reproductive success was relatively good last summer. Consequently, there should be plenty of turkeys, especially one-year-old birds, during the coming spring season.
More information on turkey hunting and harvest in New York is available on the DEC website at: www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/wildlife/turkey/index.html.

"Train up a child in the way he should go, even when he is old he will not depart from it."<BR>(Proverbs 22:6)

Comments