In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Tire Question

pagunrunnerpagunrunner Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am about to buy a new set of tires/wheels for a boat trailer.

Should I go with bias or radial?

Boat trailer travels about 1 mile at a time to and from the boat ramp 2 or 3 times a week, and makes a 50 mile trip to/from storage twice a year. 23' boat so I will be going with a C load rating.

The boat ramp is tight so it gets a few wheel rubs now and then on the curb.

What little I know about tires tells me I am not going to get any benefit out of the radials, and would be better off saving a few bucks on the bias tires.

Comments

• pagunrunnerpagunrunner Member Posts: 188 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the difference between a P245/70 R 16 and a P245/75 R 16 tire?
    Yea I know ones 70 and other is 75 LOL.
    My Grand Cherokee has P245/70 R 16s on it can I safely replace them with P245/75 R 16s also can you safely replace P245/75 R 16s with P245/70 R 16s??

If it doesn't fit get a bigger hammer.
    edited November -1
    I have a 98 4x4 Chevy and am interested in getting a new mud tire/wheel combo. Right now I have LT245/75R16's on it, but I want to go bigger. My question is, how big can I go without having to get a lift.
    edited November -1
    I'm in the market for some new tires for a 2000 Blazer that I Just purchased(only the 2nd vehicle I have ever owned). It came with Firestone Firehawks which I was not at all impressed with(didn't impress me in the snow). I am going to talk to a few tire shops tomorrow and get there suggestions, but what tire would you guys go with? I am looking for something that handles well in the snow and mud and am not worried about having to sacrifice a little on the "ride" side. Right now my top choice is the Kumho AT KL78 as from what I heard, they are a pretty good tire. Thanks in advance and here are the specs.---2000 Chevy Blazer, 4 wheel drive, 15 in. tires but I am looking at getting 16's.

Jon
    edited November -1
    V-NETIK VK501 All Terrain Tires

Has anyone ever heard of this brand of tire? First time I've heard of them and they are pretty inexpensive.
    edited November -1
    I have a 2011 F-150 FX2 Supercrew with the 20 inch tires from factory. They use Pirelli Scorpions as part of the factory package. 28k miles on so far and I am finding that these tires flat out fail in wet conditions...break loose way too easy.

Anyone running a 1/2 ton crew cab 2WD with 20 inch that has good wet traction tires?
  • jltrentjltrent Member Posts: 9,308 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 70's are a little wider than the 75's. I don't believe there would be a problem using either of these tires.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,875 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    P245/70R 16
    P= passenger
    245= is the tire width. 245mm is the distance from sidewall to sidewall at maximum tire pressure and at full rated load.

70= sidewall height as a percentage of the width. The distance from the wheel to the ground. On this tire that measurement is 70% of the width (245mm)

R= radial

16= 16 inch diameter wheel.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    The 245/75R16 is going to have a larger outside diameter and static loaded radius also, but not enough to cause a problem mounting to your vehicle. My guess is that the two would be close to an inch in difference.

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    5% of 245mm is about .95" in height I would see no problem going from ne to the other, except it is going to mess up your Speedo a couple %.

My border collie is smarter than your honor student.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    Here is the easiest and most complete conversion chart I have seen

http://www.dakota-truck.net/TIRECALC/tirecalc.html

It will tell you everything and more than you wanted to know.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • RustyBonesRustyBones Member Posts: 4,956
    edited November -1
    the best grand cherokee site www.nagca.com
    just FYI [:D]
  • kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    It will also cause your speedometer accuracy to be off. The taller tire will go a slightly further distance per revolution so the car will be going faster than the VSS on the transmission is reading. Shouldn't be enough of a difference to cause a problem unless the speedo is already off a bit. If it becomes an issue, check with the factory and see if they have a VSS calibrated for that tire size, its a bolt-in replacement and will set the readings right.

orst-title-1.gif

SUPPORT THE I.N.S. , THE COUNTRY THEY SAVE COULD BE YOUR OWN