In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 vs .24 cal hunting

Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
edited March 2005 in General Discussion
Washington game regulations permit the hunting of elk, deer, and bear with a minimum of .24 cal firearm, but allows the hunting of cougar with a .22 cal centerfire.

Can someone tell me what is the logic? I would think that shooting a cougar with a less than adequate rifle, especially at close quarters, would produce a really ticked off cat.

Comments

• Options
    easygo6easygo6 Member Posts: 1,465 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Could Washington State allow dogs to hunt Cougar. If so, the cat is shot out of a tree, frequently. I, for one, would want something more than 22 cal if I had me and my prize dogs underneath a prize cat...I have NEVER seen a cat die quickly.
  • Options
    toolmaniamtoolmaniam Member Posts: 3,213
    edited November -1
    Cougar in the tree and a head shot with a .22 Long Rifle hollowpoint equals dead kitty.
  • Options
    idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toolmaniam
    Cougar in the tree and a head shot with a .22 Long Rifle hollowpoint equals dead kitty.

yes...but the question was about .22-cal centerfire cartriges.
    (.223, .22-250, .220, ad infinitum)

Here's my theory. The kitty is a varmint and a pest and I don't think they care what it is shot with. Elk, deer and bear are game animals. I guess they're considered more "cuddly" or something. A well-placed .243 Win will do just fine with those animals and will dispatch them in a humane manner.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hunting with dogs is allowed in 5 counties in northeastern WA, for a 3-year pilot season, until a quota is reached each year. I can find no reference to using dogs in the rest of the state.

I, too have seen large animals go down with 1 well placed .22 long rifle round. It just seems to me that bigger is generally better. Is a cougar easier to kill than a deer?

I don't intend to hunt cougar, but if I did it would be with a .44 magnum, which is the only hunting rifle I now own. I have spent many hours in the woods of western WA, and have never seen a cougar. They are there, I have heard them nearby, but they are very elusive. Dogs seem like the only way to go.
  • Options
    wanted manwanted man Member Posts: 3,276
    edited November -1
    idsman seems to have a line on the logic behind that reg. Note that it DOESN'T state that you must use the smallest caliber gun available, simply which caliber is THE smallest acceptable. I for one WOULD use a .22 for the cats, but you can bet I would have a .44 on my hip. I wouldn't want to spoil the hide/mount of a trophy cat but, I'll be damned if he's gonna spoil mine! *LOL*
  • Options
    kingjoeykingjoey Member Posts: 8,636
    edited November -1
    6mm Remington anyone?[8D]

Love them Beavers
    orst-title-1.gif