In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ideal truck gun?

beltfedbeltfed Member Posts: 690 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Hello Ya'll
How about some input on what your idea of what makes or is the gun you like to carry around in the rack of your truck. I picked up a sears version of a winchester 250 lever in 22 magnum awhile back. I was thinking this might be a good one to haul around in the truck. It's light ,dependable and in 22 mag has a little punch. It's a nice little gun, you don't a lot of them,at least not down here anyway. So what do you think. Thankyou Beltfed

Comments

• jwhardingjwharding Member Posts: 2,897 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Most popular gun ever has got to be a 30.30 Winchester lever action. Got to be no questions asked.
    JW

fc6cb6ef.gif
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Get one of those Mosin Nagant M-44 great gun for 40 bucks.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have to agree that a '94 Winchester 30-30 is a good truck gun. But if you can find a good .22 pistol, that makes a pretty good truck gun as well. A mini-14 ain't that bad either.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    kinda depends i carry most of the time my mod 70 heavy barrel 243win in rack behind the seat to pop them coyotes that are a ways out there
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    beltfed, It all depends on the requirememts of the rifle and the ranges you might need to be shooting. If you error, error on the side of too much caliber rather than too little. A 22 mag would work for me on 90% of my "applications" but my 30-06 works on 100%. So I keep the old 30-06 in the truck's front seat all the time.

My 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S

P.S. In case you are wondering, it is loaded with Winchester ammo with 150 grain bullets. Buy 'em at Walmart (on the way back from the CO-OP).[;)]
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Win. 94 30-30 sounds like a winner. I used to have the M1 Carbine
    as a truck gun but the new SKS took it's place.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.

Don't fly the river!
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Ideal? who could say.
    I carry my first rifle. Winchester 94 trapper 30-30.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm thinking about mounting a Gun Rack below my Truck Window and stashing an SKS on it with a Bandoleer with 200 rounds on stipper clips.

I don't want anything in my back window any more.
    I use to carry a single shot shotgun and a 4' Level on mine 20 years ago in the window.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't seen a gunrack in the window of a pickup in 20 years here in California. It might be just out of fashion or maybe people are afraid of being accused of "brandishing a weapon". Just letting someone see a gun laying in a vehicle might get you in trouble here. I don't know. Anyway, I carry a little H&R single shot rifle in .357/20GA behind the seat of my truck.

denny
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote: I don't want anything in my back window any more.

Racks in the back windows are out of vogue in these parts--have been for several years. Virtually everyone packs a rifle in their truck, but none are displayed.

Rafter-S
  • Ghost Town PosseGhost Town Posse Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:D@D Posted - 02/01/2004 : 9:10:33 PM

I have to agree. That was the best 40 bucks I ever spent. Took mine and sanded the stock down and restained it. Now it looks like a pretty nice gun. Shot about 1200 rounds so far, did I mention ammo for $3.97 a 20 pack. Just remember to clean it after shooting the surplus ammo. Corrosive as hell

Someday when I'm cool I'll have a .50
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    We have a problem in the cold north. Lots of cowboys carry guns/rifles in their pickup (including me) but the cold, then heater, then cold and then sun warming up the inside, and snow coming off boots and melting creates the worst moisture conditions. Rust is a continual enemy. I am thinking about a stainless steel everything with a synthetic stock to help get rid of this problem but am not even sure that will work.

Sigh -- makes me sad to see rust on guns.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi-Point 9mm carbine ugly as hell but indistructable 1000's of rounds through it and only cleaning it has ever gotten was some carb cleaner shot into it the a squirt of WD40 fo $50 if some one steals it o'well and when it quits working I get a M44 and put in there.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • chunkstylechunkstyle Member Posts: 2,463 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by D@D

Where do you get 'em so cheap?

"Go to Lakedaemon, stranger passing by;
    And say there, that in obedience to her law, here we lie"
  • alaskanmanalaskanman Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the 30-30 or mini-14 or 10/22 are good, i love my 22 mag marlin rifle

www.alaskancampfire.com
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    Hi-Point carbine and a H&R 20ga,cut down to barely legal.[:D]

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I use my M1 carbine in the vehicle. It's short, light, more powerful than the .22, not expensive, and the parkerizing has held up to the elements better than the 870 I used to use in that role.

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have an old Model 67 Stevens 20 gauge pump cut down (legal ) under the seat in the truck. It will handle 3" mags. Good over the road gun.
  • bobskibobski Member Posts: 17,866 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    buy one that you wont miss when they smash your window in and take it.
    Retired Naval Aviation
    Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
    Former NSSA All American
    Navy Distinguished Pistol Shot
    MO, CT, VA.
  • D@DD@D Member Posts: 4,407
    edited November -1
    Southern Ohio Gun has them but you need at least a C&R to get one.
  • Ghost Town PosseGhost Town Posse Member Posts: 133 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:chunkstyle Posted - 02/02/2004 : 04:13:14 AM

quote:
    Originally posted by D@D

Where do you get 'em so cheap?

I bought a year or two ago from Big 5 Sporting Goods. Last time I looked through one of their ads the M44 was selling for $89.00[V].

Someday when I'm cool I'll have a .50
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I picked up one of those Rifle "Roof racks" , it mounts to the roof of the cab and keeps 1 or 2 long guns over your head where they are out of sight and easy to reach. I keep a scoped stainless ruger 77
    in 308 winchester along with a 10/22.The days of gun racks in window are long gone here in New York, Too many rich liberal City folks
    own most of the property around here[:(!]

use_deer.jpg
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    The best truck gun would have to be:

dreamgun.jpg

On a swivel mount of course.[:D]

aliens.jpg
  • trusta45trusta45 Member Posts: 516 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would also say a Marlin or Winchester lever 30-30 but I have seen a few Ruger Mini-14's and even more single shot shotguns.
  • spasmcreekspasmcreek Member Posts: 37,717 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the ideal gun would be the twin antiaircraft ?????? with operstor seated inside...in movie waterworld ....kostner....bolt that puppy in the bed with guided hunt signs on the side ......
  • sutterrogsutterrog Member Posts: 163 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My truck gun is a SKS paratrooper with an aftermarket synthetic stock. Rugged, inexpensive and plenty accurate.
  • moose56moose56 Member Posts: 468 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The one around my ankle!

Moose

"I will follow the path of others some of the time, but most of the time I prefer to make my own path." - Mike Moyle