In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

New rifle

ZzzzippgunZzzzippgun Member Posts: 28
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Picked up the wife a Savage model 111 in 270cal. She is ready for deer season to get here.

P9260210-1.jpg

Comments

• ZzzzippgunZzzzippgun Member Posts: 28
    edited November -1
    You guys have got to check out this new rifle:

www.vigilancerifles.com

I saw this thing shoot MOA at 600 yards , there has only been one made so far and they are looking for investors, anybody with big bucks want to jump in?
    edited November -1
    Just bought a new in the box DPMS Panther for $650. With carry handle and front sight, a couple boxes of ammo, two mags, and a sling for $802 out the door. Seems like a pretty good deal.
    edited November -1
    finally became the proud parent of the greatest battle implement ever devised. will post pics tonight after i get done playing with it.
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to say thanks to you guys who gave suggestions to me in my search for a new rifle. I posted a couple of weeks ago with a bunch of questions. If you didn't see the post or remember, I was debating which rifle to go with and whether or not to get one of the new short mag cartridges.What I decided on was to stay with the .300 Win Mag since I already have the dies for it. I just picked-up my Steyr SBS Prohunter Stainless/Synthetic yesterday. I think I will be real happy with it. I will go shoot it this weekend.
    edited November -1
    Bought the daughter a new rifle for her b'day, a Savage Mod10 with accutrigger in 243cal. What a sweet shooting rifle, and dead on accurate! Bought it at my local(Honesdale Pa.)Wal-Mart It will be the last gun I buy at the local Wal-mart. I was informed that as of next friday there will be no more guns for sale in that store. Also there will be no bargans for the ones that don't sell as they will be sent back to the distributer. They were not sure if they were going to have ammo for sale or not. What a bummer as I got a 10% discount.[V]
    edited November -1
    I'm gonna get a new rifle with my tax refund. I have little experience with them, but I'll have around $1500 to spend for the gun and goodies to go with it - Scope, magazines, sling, case, etc.

I'm looking at M1As, AR-15 types and AK47 types.

What do you all think is the best pick, overall??
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    M1A lowest on the AWB list [:D]

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Excellent.

You could by one brand new loaded M1A for that price without all the goodies, or you could go with an AR-15 with all the goodies, or you could buy 2 Bulgarian milled AK's with some goodies, 4 Romanian stamped AK's with only a few goodies, or just buy about 75 cases of beer. [:D]

As for me, I'd go with the M1A. Can't really beat a .308 over a .223 in terms of range, stopping power, and accuracy, and the AK is really only good to hit a man-sized target from 50 to 100 yards - MAX.

I'm sure you'll get a ton of feeback on this, but that's my 2 cents.[;)]
  • flat8flat8 Member Posts: 887 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BUT . . the AK is cheap as all heck to shoot, and you might want to pick at least one of them up before they are banned altogether like FrankF is alluding to.
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Unless you just have to spend the money now, I would put it away and see what happens to the AWB. If you choose not to my 2 cents says:
    Bushmaster Tactical carbine post ban with all the goodies followed by 2 AK's a SAR1 and a SAR3 with all the goodies. I would not buy a M1A.

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Zzzzippgun
    Being A CA. resident, It's not fun keeping "My registration papers" in the butt stock of my post ban AR- in case I get stopped on the way to the range. Or varminting on BLM land. It's almost not fun to shoot it any more without looking over my shoulder. [V]

However, my M1A does not get the funny looks from people like my AR does.

gun.gif
    Those who live by the
    sword get shot by those who don't.

[img][/img]Santa_Cruz.gif
  • WarbirdsWarbirds Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy an M1A, loaded, and you'll find you don't need a scope.

R/

Dave

How different the world would be if we could consult the veteran instead of the politician. - Henry Miller
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Get a Benelli M1014 and a box of sabot slugs.

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • 22WRF22WRF Member Posts: 3,385
    edited November -1
    quote: I'm gonna get a new rifle with my tax refund. I have little experience with them

Maybe you should be looking at single shot .22 for first rifle.

I would not want to be at the range while your trying ot figure out how make one of those you mentioned go BOOM

Steel is for guns Tupperware is for leftovers

happy_fc.gif
  • HeavyBarrelHeavyBarrel Member Posts: 1,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I could not agree more with 22wrf, an automatic, centerfire rifle is not for someone who is unfamiliar with rifles, get a nice single shot .22 or a bolt. I have seen several people here at the range who where downright dangerous and obviously innaccurate to say the least.
  • jack85jack85 Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi there. Fifteen hundred dollars..........wow. If you planing to go out on weekends and have some fun with it on paper or lets say to start your collection etc.
    I'd start from made in Russia. I'd get: one Makarov in 9x18mm, one Tokarov in 9x19mm if you can find one in that caliber, one Mosin-Nagant 91/30, one M-44
    or 38 or both in 7.62x54R, one SVT-40, one SKS and one AK-47 both in 7.62x39mm.
    Ok where we at by now? I'd say at around $1400, don't forget ammo. I think that this should cover "Made in C.C.C.P" part of your collection. O......and don't
    forget that all of'em are fun and cheap to shoot. Good luck.
    God bless The Republic.
  • bitemebiteme Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow...$1500 to blow on your first rifle! I think the 22lr suggestion would be the most practical thing to buy especially if youre not familiar with the semi's you mentioned. My two cents, go to a range that rents them and just suck it up when they tell you how much you have to pay for their ammo to shoot it.

Then again if you want one of those semi's we all know youre just going to get one anyway. Best of luck.

Maybe I listened to my buddies too much, but my first rifle was a 700PSS. [:D]

be safe,

John

Life is simple.
    Living is what makes it complicated.
  • 0341USMC0341USMC Member Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Buy an M1a and put an A.C.O.G.on it.[:)]

0341USMC
    SEMPER FI
    Christian
    American
    heterosexual
    PRO GUN
    conservative
    Any Questions?
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    Is this your first rifle?

How much shooting experience do you have, and with what?

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • OklahomaboundOklahomabound Member Posts: 829 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If this is your first rifle, the advise you're getting about waiting a while is better advise. First, find a good rifle and pistol club, join as a beginner, get some fundamental training, practice, experience with different rifles, then decide what it is you want to do. Or, go get a really good 22LR, bolt action, and learn what shooting is all about.[:)][:)]

If this isn't your first rifle, and with $1500 to spend, go get the M1A. I really like my M1 Garand, the 22-250, the CZ 22LR, etc. [8D][8D]

It must be right, or we wouldn't do it this way!
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Go on the DSA sight and check out the 308's or Armalites 308's. You can get a five rounder and use them for hunting if you so desire.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    I suggest getting a good .22 lr bolt action rifle. Learn to shoot and handle it safely.

Then, get an M1 Garand from the CMP. You'll have one of the finest 'battle rifles' in the world, with lots of history behind it.

And, it fires the hard hitting .30-06 !!

You can do all this for under $750.00, incuding LOTS of ammo.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd suggest getting a Winchester Model 9422 for shooting 22 Long Rifle cartridges. Lots of fun ... easy to shoot and easy on the ammo budget. Log on to GunBroker ... search 9422 and you will find several. If you want to spend more of the $1500 go for a commemorative ... Annie Oakley or 25th anniversary.

Have fun and see how you like it before going for a higher calibre.

Try a .22 revolver second or a Hi - Standard semi-auto pistol.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Get a marlin camp 9, you won't regret it.

aliens.jpg