In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Need first rifle purchase advice

IconoclastIconoclast Member Posts: 10,515 ✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Now that the reality of my moving has sunk in a bit, my son is casting covetous eyes on my limited stock of rifles. I thought it might be a nice gesture to buy exactly what he wants, instead (the traditionalists can stop reading here [;)]).

He would prefer a synthetic stocked SS bolt. Knowing him, I agree with the choice and the reasoning behind it - he's not the most careful with his things and our perception is that such a rig would better withstand inadvertent abuse. This would be a "one size fits all" hunting rifle (he does have two .22s and two shotguns) suitable for whitetails and possibly some very casual varmint hunting. I'm thinking in terms of a .308, 7mm/.308, 6.5x55 or something along those lines; not real enthusiastic about dropping down as far as 6mm. The hunting terrain hereabouts is - usually - thickly wooded . . . 100 yards is a long shot in the woods and 200 about the max one would have on open ground (ain't much flat ground in NH - most of it is uphill!). Thus we considered and discarded the '06 derivatives (e.g., .270, .25-06).

What brand / model / caliber combinations would you recommend and why? In advance, I thank you for your suggestions / ideas!

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)

Comments

• Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    243 or 257 roberts in SS made by Ruger would fit the bill. [8D]

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • Options
    358 WINCHESTER358 WINCHESTER Member Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    6.5 x 55 tikka t3
    I love the 06 and think that my 300WSM andI are going to get along great but to date 50+ years nothing I ever shot compares to the 6.5 x 55 swed coming out of the sako barrel ther are lots of great guns out there that is just my 2 cents worth.

Son if you didn't learn something today, you wasted the whole day. (Jasper N. Lee, my granddaddy)
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 7mm-08 would be a great choice, can be loaded for anything from groundhogs to deer, quite accurate out to several hundred yards, less recoil than a .308, short action, can be had in a nice light rifle that will be quick handling and accurate. For close to moderate ranges while staying in a short action rifle the 7mm-08 is just about the perfect choice.

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Teak, I know you have stated you have discarded the 270 but that is what I use most and it can be loaded with anything from 90 grain to 150 grain bullets. It covers varmits clean up to elk! Now as to the choises you gave,personally I would have to say the 308. The 308 is an excellent round for varmits as well as larger game such as deer, bear, and even elk within 200 yards. As to brands, I am partial to Ruger my self with my 270 being a Ruger 77. Savage stainless series is also an excellent choice. Just due to personal preference I do not like Remington but Winchester is a good choice as well. I also feel that for the price, the Ruger or Savage with a good scope combination is the best bang for the money in 308 IMHO. As to scopes, I like Nikon, Redfield, Luopould(spelling) and Ziess! They are a bit pricey though. I put a Redfield Tracker on my sons 270 Mauser. I have a Simmons on my Ruger that will hold up to the best of the High dollar scopes though and it cost 1/3 of what the high dollar scopes do. Just my 2 cents worth.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • Options
    MVPMVP Member Posts: 25,074
    edited November -1
    Take a look at the Savage 111 synthetic stainless package that comes with a scope,sling has a detachable magazine. I think they are selling for around 375.00 for the whole package. .243 cal would be my choice for the hunting that you mentioned.
  • Options
    paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I would suggest the 270!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    MVP said it best.

quote: Originally posted by MVP:
    Take a look at the Savage 111 synthetic stainless package that comes with a scope,sling
    has a detachable magazine. I think they are selling for around 375.00 for the whole
    package. .243 cal would be my choice for the hunting that you mentioned.

The only thing that I would add is this,,,,, unless you've decided to NEVER use the rifle for anything bigger than deer, I would go with the 7mm/08.
    otherwise, the .243 will kill any deer that walks out to 200 yds.
  • Options
    Gibbs505Gibbs505 Member Posts: 3,175
    edited November -1
    such short range, why don't you consider a 45.70?

Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it.
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    if it is a bolt gun then the 7mm-08 is my offer of suggestion.

If he can do the lever gun,..the stainless marlin guide gun in 444 or 45-70 for the brush busting ability.

a 7mm-08 or 308 bolt gun in stainless is a sure thing on resale as well, not to mention their inherent accuracy.

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 243 winchester is a Fine round the Deer/varmint Multi task rifle,
    But i would lean toward the 7mm08 because it has more Pop when the rifle is to be used for Deer.My choice in rifle would be a Stainless Synthetic Ruger 77 with a good Multi task scope like a 3-9 or beter yet a 4-12 Variable[:D]

use_deer.jpg96EB.jpg
  • Options
    WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got a price range in mind?
    Does that include the whole set up?

SS
    Syn Stock
    Bolt Action
    Scope or No Scope?

Most shots would be under 100 yards but want ability to reach out to 200.

Use little varmit, mostly deer, Possibly bigger game sometime in future?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • Options
    cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Of course I wouldn't be staying in character if I didn't jump in a recommend the Tikka T 3, and with the mention of the 6.5x55 it's the obvious choice[:D][:D]

Though I'd you with the 7mm/08 [:0]
  • Options
    Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    1) .45-70
    2) 7X57

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • Options
    temblortemblor Member Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From what you have described for use and you having already eliminated some calibers, I would vote for the Remington 700 BDL in 7mm-08 if recoils a problem. If not a problem, I'd go 308 Win. in the same gun due to value for your money, inherrent accuracy and most options for customizing at a later date do to the vast availabilty of stocks, barrels, etc. for the 700.-- They are also easy to sell later if you want............just my two cents....good luck........[8D]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Folks, thanks very much for your thoughts and contributions - they are sincerely appreciated.

"There is nothing lower than the human race - except the French." (Mark Twain) ". . . And DemoCraps" (me)
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
  • Options
    groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    All the way through the post and no one mentioned the .260 Remington! Can be had in the exact criteria he wants and is a fine choice! GHD
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    Hell Charlie you and I both know that the 260 Remington sucks big time.[:)][}:)]

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    Although it is not stainless, the Remington 700 ADL Synthetic in 7mm-08 would tend to fit your son's needs. It can be had for around $400 and will stand up to adverse weather and handling conditions, and the 7mm-08 is a great round.

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed"

. and the antithesis to this philosophy was uttered by Bill Clinton "I smoked it, but I didn't inhale."[V]

NRA Life Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Saxon, at this point it looks like the western Tar Heel lands. We leave to recon the area in about five hours. SW VA is also high on the priority list. BDJ & GHD are two excellent salesmen! We need to find some decent jobs and get out of the snow, without going so far south we die of heat prostration in the summer - my wife is accustomed to a climate 800 miles north of me and NH doesn't exactly condition one to live in the heat / humidity of the deep south (I know, I've lived there). I figure the higher altitudes of the Appalachian foothills of NC and VA might be a good compromise . . . even if they've had more snow than I have this winter . . . so far, anyway.

• Options
    edited November -1
    Re: the .260; we'll check it out. We're leaning toward the Savage package deal in .308 or 7mm-08 at this point. Seems like a good deal and I've heard good things about the Savage.

• Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Here is the deal. I have never shot the 6.5x55 but there is no doubt it is an outstanding cal. and penetration is the strong point. I would have one if I did not have a closet full of .308s.

If he is going to reload all his ammo then any of the calibers would be fine. But if he takes off on a hunt and gets there and forgot to take the ammo, well good luck on anything mentioned besides the .308 or .243 For deer there are almost always 308 shells at most any store or gas station that sells ammo.

I like the .243 GREAT cal. but on Mule Deer it can be light on longer shots. And if someday he gets that elk or moose opportunity, well NOT with a 243.

Time tested and proved and available virtually every where you go: 308 and he will NEVER regret it.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester '94 30-30. Has been killin' things longer than all the above mentioned cartridges combined!

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • Options
    agloreaglore Member Posts: 6,012
    edited November -1
    quote:Winchester '94 30-30. Has been killin' things longer than all the above mentioned cartridges combined!

Not quite. The 6.5X55 has been around 1 year longer than the 30-30. The 257 Roberts and the 270 combined have been around about 30 years longer than the 30-30. The 45-70 has been around 22 years longer than the 30-30.[:)]

AlleninAlaska
    Delta Firearms & Supplies
    http://canadianfirearmsexchange.com

aglore@gci.net
  • Options
    H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Okay. If your gonna go and get picky about it. I'm just sayin if you want something as a first rifle, IN MY OPINION, you can't beat the '94 30-30. And a box of 30-30 ammo costs about $9.00/box.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • Options
    ClairClair Member Posts: 679 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with the 6.5 x 55

To each his own
    Craig Brosius
  • Options
    stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Iconoclast,
    You have recieved much good advice on this difficult choice.

quote:We're leaning toward the Savage package deal in .308 or
    7mm-08 at this point. Seems like a good deal and I've heard good things about the
    Savage.
    But, I see you took the very best advice![;)]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess my offer of an air conditioner wasn't enough?[:D]

why chase the game when the bullet can get em from here?....
    Got Balistics?
  • Options
    rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Just get a 16" turret cannon, it'll take any big game and require little maintenance.

aliens.jpg