In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Cop Performs "Chips Maneuver"

drobsdrobs Member Posts: 22,615 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Woman Tells Of Wild 75-Mile Ride In Runaway Car
Mechanic Discovers Mechanical Problem With Car

POSTED: 8:04 AM MST February 2, 2004
UPDATED: 5:24 PM MST February 2, 2004

DENVER -- A 20-year-old woman was shaken but unhurt after a wild, 75-mile ride at speeds over 100 mph that began when her brakes failed and her car accelerated out of control.

Police finally stopped the car on Interstate 70 in Wheat Ridge, west Denver, by getting a cruiser in front of it, driving just slightly under her speed, and slowing gently till their bumpers touched, then bringing both vehicles to a stop.

"It had a mind of its own," Angel Eck (pictured, left) said Sunday. "My gas pedal was all the way up, this car was accelerating on its own. I couldn't get the clutch down. I couldn't get the brake down."

Eck was westbound on I-70 in Limon Friday night when her 1997 Pontiac Sunfire began racing. Nothing she tried would slow the car down. She flipped on her hazard lights and dodged traffic while trying her cell phone, but she was out of her service area.

"I probably went off the road three times trying to get around traffic," Eck said.

She nearly slammed into the back of a semitrailer and swerved to avoid hitting other vehicles, including one packed with kids, she said.

She said was traveling an average of 70 to 100-plus mph.

After about 45 frantic minutes, she was able to reach a friend on her cell phone. He called 911.

"Highway cars, I need you to intercept up there. This lady is in excess of 80 mph, her brakes are out," the voice over the police radio said.

Police cleared the highway as Eck made her way across Denver. When it appeared they had no other options, Officers Gary Ayers and Troy Bisgard decided to slow Eck's car with their cruiser.

They let her bump them around I-70 and Pecos.

"It's a dangerous maneuver. Had they misjudged, one or both cars would have sped out of control. It worked like clockwork," said Officer Kim Lovato, who worked with six other officers to stop the runaway car.

Lovato said the officers joked afterward they had seen the maneuver on "CHiPs," the 1980s television show about the California State Patrol.

"Whenever they had a runaway car on 'CHiPs' this is exactly what Ponch and John would do, and we have Jerry and Troy deciding to play Ponch and John and one is brunet and one is blond just like Ponch and John and they did what they needed to do and it turned out just perfect," Lovato said.

Eck went to a police substation Sunday to thank Ayers and Bisgard, but they were off duty.

"They did an awesome, awesome job," she said. "I am glad that nobody got hurt out of this."

A mechanic examined the car Monday and said a transmission reverse gear cluster anchor bolt fell out, preventing the car's transmission from moving into another gear. He also found the car was idling at a very high rate, which would cause it to go fast if it were already moving in 5th gear. The Center for Auto Safety previously reported problems with sudden acceleration in Pontiac Sunbirds and other GM "J" cars.

Neither Eck's car nor the police cars were damaged during the whole ordeal and no one was injured.

Regards,
190191.gif

Comments

• steveamy4steveamy4 Member Posts: 46 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife is blonde. Even she knows enough to turn off the engine.
  • ThrockmortonThrockmorton Member Posts: 814 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    How in the world could the brake or clutch pedals "not go down"??
    something very fishy here.

Throckmortons' the alias,cas is the game.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Taking the key out would have been bad turning it to the on postion so she could still stear would have been OK

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does that " J " in the G.M. car stand for JUNK ?
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    One of the first thing my Dad taught me when he was teaching me to drive was if the accelerator pedal ever 'sticks' to just turn the damn thing OFF !

Sheesh, some people are too stupid to have a driver's license.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:.....75-mile ride at speeds over 100 mph......
    A PONTIAC THAT IDLES AT OVER 100MPH???
    "Ponch & John" would have to be as stupid as the Bimbo driving to believe that!!
    I hope they revoke her license and throw the book at her!

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmmmm.....guess the ignition key didn't work either, huh? Unless the trans is under load (ie accelerating) you can even get a manual trans out of gear! Sounds BOGUS to me!!
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    She said throttle was stuck, so it was more than idle. A few things you could do:
    1. Turn key to "accessory" position. On my car, this shuts the engine off, but keeps the wheel unlocked (and you can listen to the radio!)
    2. Progressively downshift. Yeah, you might blow the engine...but you'll slow down and stop.
    3. In cunjunction with the above, start pulling up on the parking brake. This is generally cable operated and not subject to hydraulic failure. However, at least on my car, this alone isn't going to stop the car.

quote:Originally posted by stanman
    quote:.....75-mile ride at speeds over 100 mph......
    A PONTIAC THAT IDLES AT OVER 100MPH???
    "Ponch & John" would have to be as stupid as the Bimbo driving to believe that!!
    I hope they revoke her license and throw the book at her!

The Bush administration sends tens of thousands of American military to protect the sovereignty of nations around the world, while trading our own sovereignty for hispanic votes!
  • Mike291Mike291 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    sounds to me like the only problem with the car is a loose nut behind the wheel..
  • soopsoop Member Posts: 4,633
    edited November -1
    I`ve got a Buick Regal that had an idle problem.It was in the shop constantly for repair,but they never could fix it until this past fall .The car would act ok sometimes.Other times it would stick and accelerate.You could start the car and leave the driveway and drive to work(23 miles) without touching the accelerator.You did ,however have to drive with your foot on the brake as it would go up to 70 mph.
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    uh, didn't the guys on chips ride motorcycles. now that i would like to see.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    If the car was that far out of control I think I would have just thrown the clutch down and let the motor blow.

aliens.jpg
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    What did she think was going to happen with a GM? [V][xx(]

bigun2.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
    The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants. -Thomas Jefferson
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Only problems I ever have with a GM is the brakes.....[:D]

aliens.jpg