In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Why American Muslims Fear the US Government

HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
edited March 2006 in General Discussion
Ex-Prosecutor Accused of Concealing Evidence in Terror Case

By ERIC LICHTBLAU

03/30/06 "New York Times" -- -- WASHINGTON, March 29 - A grand jury charged today that a former federal prosecutor in Detroit who led one of the Justice Department's biggest terrorism investigations concealed critical evidence in the case in an effort to bolster the government's theory that a group of local Muslim men were plotting an attack.

The prosecutor, Richard G. Convertino, and a State Department employee who served as a chief government witness were each indicted on charges of conspiracy and obstruction of justice. The grand jury charged that they had conspired to conceal evidence from the jury about photographs of an American military hospital in Jordan that was the supposed target of a terrorist plot concocted by the Detroit defendants.

Mr. Convertino, once a rising star at the Justice Department who fell out of favor with supervisors in Washington, denied that he had ever withheld evidence, and he pledged that he would be vindicated. "These charges are clearly vindictive and retaliatory, and it's an effort to discredit and smear someone who tried to expose the government's mismanagement of the war on terrorism," he said in a telephone interview.

The indictment of the former prosecutor and one of his star witnesses marked a striking turnaround in a case once hailed by President Bush and John Ashcroft, his first attorney general, as a major breakthrough against terrorism plotted on American soil.

After four Muslim men were arrested days after the attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, in a dilapidated Detroit apartment, federal authorities charged that they were part of a "sleeper" terrorist cell plotting attacks against Americans overseas.

Two of the men were convicted on terrorism charges after a high-profile trial in 2003, with Mr. Convertino as the lead prosecutor. But the case soon began to unravel amid allegations of concealed evidence and government misconduct. The Justice Department ultimately repudiated its own case, leading to the dismissal of all terrorism charges against the men in 2004.

"I can't recall a case like this in recent memory where you have not only the collapse of the prosecution's entire case, but now the prosecutor himself indicted," said Brian Levin, a professor at Cal State University at San Bernardino who has written extensively on terrorism prosecutions.

"The government has made clear it's going to do everything it can to go after terrorism, but here you have a case where it appears that hubris might have intoxicated the prosecutor, and he might have taken one step over the line," Mr. Levin said.

Mr. Convertino, 45, who has left the Justice Department and opened his own defense practice in the Detroit area, faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and a $1 million fine if convicted. His co-defendant, Harry R. Smith III, 49, a security officer for the State Department who assisted in the prosecution, faces a maximum of 20 years in prison and a $750,000 fine.

The indictment returned by a grand jury in the eastern district of Michigan lays blame for the collapse of the case against the terrorism suspects at the feet of Mr. Convertino and Mr. Smith. It said the two men conspired "to present false evidence at trial and to conceal inconsistent and potentially damaging evidence from the defendants."

But an investigation by The New York Times published in October 2004 found that senior officials at the Justice Department knew of problems in the case almost from its inception, yet still pushed for an aggressive prosecution.

An internal Justice Department memo prepared in Washington before the 2002 indictments of the men acknowledged that the evidence was "somewhat weak," that the case relied on a single informant with "some baggage," and that there was no clear link to terrorist groups.

"We can charge this case with the hope that the case might get better," a senior counterterrorism official in Washington wrote at the time, "and the certainty that it will not get much worse."

The prosecution exposed deep rifts within the Justice Department over issues of strategy - to the point that some Washington prosecutors assigned to work on the case were barely on speaking terms with Mr. Convertino and his Detroit prosecutors.

The opening of the government's indictment against the terror suspects, drafted by prosecutors in Washington, appeared to have been lifted almost verbatim from a scholarly article on Islamic fundamentalism. And Mr. Ashcroft was rebuked by the Detroit judge hearing the case for publicly asserting - in error - that the defendants were suspected of having advance knowledge of the Sept. 11 attacks.

Comments

• Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    These guys have only been indicted, not tried and convicted. Although we're certainly free to have our own personal opinions as to whether they're innocent or guilty, legally-speaking, they're innocent until proven guilty.

There's been a lot of overzealous action in trying to nail down terrorists and would-be terrorists. Sometimes, I think that we go overboard in an attempt to do good, and that allows someone to do bad things in the process.

I'm all for going after the bad guys, but nail them on what you can prove, don't invent stuff in the process. If you don't have enough to nail them on something, put them under 24/7 surveillance until you do find something. And, if in the process of surveillance, if you catch them doing something extremely dangerous, that's the time to pull weapons.
  • Options
    HAIRYHAIRY Member Posts: 23,606
    edited November -1
    ss: Your suggestion makes sense--which is why the Government won't do it. [;)]
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Right. It's our fault they hate us. Whatever.
  • Options
    spanielsellsspanielsells Member Posts: 12,498
    edited November -1
    I don't know if you're saying that I suggested Muslims hate us due to our own fault. I don't even begin to believe that at all.

There's a variety of reasons why Muslims hate us, 98% of it has to do with our support of Israel and our refusal to try and wipe Israel off the map. The other 2% has to do with us being infidels.
  • Options
    joeaf1911a1joeaf1911a1 Member Posts: 2,962 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the "American Muslims???) hate and fear us let them leave. As of yet
    we have allowed the Muslims places of worship to be built and used. Try
    building a Christian or Jewish place of worship in Muslim countries. It
    would be a no-go and much jail time at least. They damn right well knew
    that this is mostly a Christian-Judo country. Did they come here for the only purpose of causing trouble and problems.? If needed would they fight for this country against Muslims if it comes to it.? To me it is a mindless group we dont need or want here.
  • Options
    nemesisenforcernemesisenforcer Member Posts: 10,513 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by spanielsells
    I don't know if you're saying that I suggested Muslims hate us due to our own fault. I don't even begin to believe that at all.

There's a variety of reasons why Muslims hate us, 98% of it has to do with our support of Israel and our refusal to try and wipe Israel off the map. The other 2% has to do with us being infidels.

I wasn't suggesting you believe that, FWIW.

Also, I think your statistics are exactly backwards, IMO.
  • Options
    brier-49brier-49 Member Posts: 7,039 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    spaniel, the muslims don't just hate us, they hate anyone or anything that is not muslim.that is what their religion was built on,HATE.