In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.410 shotgun- turkey hunting?

crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
My son has been using a .410 shotgun for hunting deer, squirrels and turkey for the last two years. He has two one for just deer and one for turkey and squirrel. He hasn't had the opportunity for a shot on a turkey yet ( came close though) And I am just wondering if it will be enough for a turkey at, lets say around 0 to 30 yards. Do you folks think that he will be o.k. at 30 yards if we can't get one any closer. The gun has a full joke and it is a nice tight pattern at the range. Do any of you or any of your children use a .410 for turkey. Would like some input! Thanks!

Believe nothing that you hear and only one half of what you see!!

Comments

• H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I don't see why not. I killed a goose one time when I was a kid with mine.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • crosshaircrosshair Member Posts: 635 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Were they in season at the time when you killed it when you was a kid? Just Kidding!! My son has killed several squirrels with it as a matter of fact he has gotten everyone he has shot at. It impressed me with the squirrels. My brother gave him a .410 that he won which is a NWTH special addition and I scoped it up and cut the choke off of it for deer hunting and it cuts holes at 50 yards!

edited November -1
    They were in season, but the goose had it's feet on the ground.[:D] I didn't care at the time, I just wanted to shoot something. It killed it dead with one shot. 3" #4 full choke did the trick. Probablly about 25yrd shot. I would think it would have the same effect on a turkey.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the info. H.S.- x. Hopefully we will find out this season!

edited November -1
    If he's old enough to handle a 20ga that would probablly be the better choice though. Back then, it wasn't illegal to use lead shot for waterfowl.

10x.jpgFort_Smith.gif
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    get um a 16 gaige I had one at 13 years of age and it worked for me

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
    edited November -1
    He does want a 20 guage and I am going to buy him one before season. Just don't if he will shoot it. He is always affraid of the kick. I use to get upset about it but I am going to let him make the disision on his own. I don't want to pressure him because that is the worst thing to do and the next thing is he will not want to go.

• jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    It will do the job if legal in your state. Here in KY it has to be no smaller than 20 ga. and no bigger than 10 ga. I have a 58 smooth bore flint trade gun that is actually a 24 ga but I get by useing it by telling them it is a tight 20! I only turkey hunt one or 2 days at most. Turkey hunting just does not interest me as much as other hunting.

The statistics on sanity are that one out of every four Americans is suffering from some form of mental illness. Think of your three best friends. If they're okay, then it's you.
    Rita Mae Brown
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    crosshair, I can show you a 20 guage Remington YOUTH MODEL 870 Express that has 42 Long beards to it's credit!!! Can show you the beards too! HOWEVER!!!! The 20 guage should fit about anybody that wants to shoot a turkey!!! One of the stupidest things I've ever heard anyone say(but it shut me up 'cause there's just no use in discussing(no use to argue with this mindset!!!!) was at the shop and a guy just had to have a 3.5" 12 guage to turkey hunt!!! I asked him, "Why do you need a 3.5 " 12 guage when a 20 guage will kill just as dead as the big gun?" His answer astounds me yet!!! ""Cause they don't make a 4"!!!!!!!!!!! I would probably be on the other end of the question(actually about the middle) posed from you. YES, the .410 will probably kill the bird but the 20 guage will give the kid a little larger margin for mistake without an undue amount of "kick"!!! You've got a few weeks to work withhim before turkry season so let him shoot some 20's!!! He's going to be shooting at cans or paper and he may "feel" the kick but I guarantee you that if old "Joe Gobbler, nine inch beard and all" is standing 20 yards in front of his gun when he shoots, it could be an 8Bore and he wouldn't feel it!!! I fully beleive that you can have "too much gun" and you can have "too little gun" but the 20 guage will fit the youngster well! If he says he's scared, tell him there's a little girl (my daughter) in VA that shoots the 20 guage!!! And she doesn't flinch!! GHD
  • outdoortexasoutdoortexas Member Posts: 4,780
    edited November -1
    From a different view,
    if he's confident with the 410 let him use it.
    Thirty, 35-yards it's fine with a full choke.
    Stick with #6 shot, 5's at the largest.

Turkeys are big and tough to kill 'tis true,
    but three or 4 pellets in the neck and it's down,
    more power, more pellets is like talking 9mm versus 45,
    make him shoot the twenty gauge and he may miss.
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Let him shoot the lightest loads you can find in 20 ga. for practice. When your hunting, Slide a magnum in. He'll never feel it when he's shooting at that Tom. I pesonally would not let him use a .410. I'm sure it will kill, but I'd go with a 20 and have more confidence in a quick/cleaner kill....Just my 2 cents...

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"