In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

What makes this Savage.243 so valuable (to seller)

jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/ViewItem.asp?Item=16086670

I want to start with a .243 as my first rifle. Iron sites, no scope.
The local shop NEVER has them used.

I was going to pick a 111G in .243 but "Accutrigger" came out and models changed.

So what's the story on this Model 99C?

Is .243 Win the only cal. .243 comes?
Should I be looking at a smaller caliber (.223)? I want to place @ 100 yards, open sights.

Comments

• Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What are you going to shoot? Hunting, plinking, targets, steel? 243's are nice, but so are .223's...and 22 Mag, and 6mm Remington. I select caliber by what I want to shoot. The .223 Rem is quite a versatile caliber.

More info from you would help.

John

An armed society is a polite society.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    240 Cobra
    6MM/30-30 Improved
    6MM-250
    6MM-47
    6MM-223
    6MM TCU
    243 Rockchucker
    6MM Remington
    240 Weatherby Magnum
    6MM BR
    6mm PPC

Just a few using the .243 Bullet...
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    Jsergovic,
    On it's very best day, that particular rifle would MAYBE bring $200 LESS than this joker's "buy it now" price. At least in these parts.
    I find the same thing on 90% of the 99s listed for "auction" on the firearms sites.
    For sheer accuracy, I would hold out for a Savage bolt gun.
    You could probably order one to fit your desires and still be into it less than $500.
    I see a lot of them around here used, but they are usually the package guns and come fitted with a cheap scope, from the factory.
    .243 is a good caliber and will buck wind better than the smaller centerfires. Ammo is much more plentiful than for the 6mm Remington.
  • Rebel_JamesRebel_James Member Posts: 4,746
    edited November -1
    Plus, with the .223, practice ammo is cheap. You can find deals on ammo for about 100 bucks for 1000 rounds.

"If they won't give us good terms, come back and we'll fight it out."
    -- Gen. James Longstreet
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    Salvage, I'm target-shooting. My aim is to place on a pie tin @ 100 yards 100% iron sites.

Highball - I'm way out in left field. Had no idea there were so many.
    I was thinking "LR, WMR, Short?"

Stanman...The "C" model is not a true "bolt" gun?
    ".243 is a good caliber and will buck wind better than the smaller centerfires."
    This is what I heard, and you know my aim. Might do some pig hunting down the road, but with a 44mag or a .45.

Rebel...Shoot out a link to those deals. I just found a link to REALLY cheap ammo on a 1911 site, but they only stock five flavors. I currently use cheaperthandirt & ammoman.

THANKS, ALL, FROM COLD, RAINY MID. CALIFORNIA. THANK THE GODS MY WIFE MADE A NICE HOT DINNER TO CHEER UP A GLOOMY DAY.[:)]
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    The model 99 is a Lever Action rifle.

Not the first choice for accuracy.Mighty fine guns..and will do most all most folks wish to do with a gun,really..
  • stanmanstanman Member Posts: 3,052
    edited November -1
    quote:Stanman...The "C" model is not a true "bolt" gun?
    Jsergovic,
    I KNOW the "C" model isn't a bolt gun.
    Well,,,,,it does have a bolt ?????
    But my point was to stay away from the lever guns IF you're looking for pure accuracy.
    BTW: Among Savage collectors, the "C" stands for "CRAP"!
    I used to own one in .308 and it was a good shooter and very reliable, right up until the day it was stolen.
    I currently have only 4 99s.
    Only one is .243 and none are "C" models.

To make my opinion VERY clear, HOLD OUT FOR THE MODEL 111!!!
    edited November -1
    Well put. The only thing I knew about the "C" was that it meant "clip".

Remember, I have never owned a rifle. I have a Winchester Mk 1400 semi-auto 20 g., but not a true rifle. BTW, that shotgun will pump put the shot as quick as you can squeeze the trigger. Even if I don't shoot it for six months, this time, I'm not trading it away. I'll let it sleep for a while and wake it up on a nice brezzy sunny day.

I could have gotten the model I wanted for $390, but was holding out for a used one, a little beat up, something I don't feel the need to "baby" because it's new. Yes, and I'm sure one of you will voulenteeer to take my new rifle for me and give it some "character"...just take a few months and a couple of bricks...
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    I love my Savage 99, .243! It is one of the most accurate shooting rifles I own! Savage 99's in good shape up here fetch any where from $350 and up depending on condition and caliber! Ive seen some go for $650!!!

Those that don't like the little 99's pack em up and send them to me, Ill take all I can get!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
    edited November -1
    Hey, Tim, if you come across a .243 that's cheap and real beat up but still shoots straight, can ya give me a note?

I don't care if it looks like it was used as a boat paddle; if it still shoots, it's for me.
    edited November -1
    I paid $425 for mine and it is in excellent shape! 99's are highly collected around here and are getting hard to find, but Ill keep my eye open!! The .308's are nice as well!!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    Is that model bolt action with iron sites? The 99?

11g.jpg
    edited November -1
    The 99 is a lever action!!

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

edited November -1
    O.K., I'm learning. I got confused with that "C" designation.

This is what I'm after. I just never see them used.

Thanks!

11g.jpg
  • DIRTYRATDIRTYRAT Member Posts: 2,167 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jsergovic, My son and I both bought Savage model 10 bolt-actions in .243 last year out-the door for $249.00 new with a Tasco 3x9 scope and a leather sling. They were on sale at "Dunham's Sporting Goods" The finish on them is not the greatest but they are very accurate. One of the best "Cheap-Guns" {as some call them} that I have ever bought!

"I AM MY OWN WORST ENEMY"