In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Tractor Tires

buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
edited September 2018 in General Discussion
I'm telling you a man could make a living around here servicing tractor tires.

I need two front tires for my tractor, just 5x15 tires. No one around here stocks them and most that sell them don't provide any service for mounting them. Those that do will order them and "they may be in this week".

I can order on my own cheaper and have them in 2 days. Then pay a local shop to swap them out. That's what I'll do. I already ordered a pair of better tires (6 ply vs 4 ply) cheaper than I was priced at the tractor service center.

I just think it's funny. You can buy a small tractor anywhere, but service for one is hard to find.

Comments

• Options
    buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My compact tractor will soon need rear turf tires.The size is 33x12.5-15.Is there any reason that I could not use pick up truck tires of the same size?
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    None whatsoever.

I run pick up tires on my bobcat... But keep in mind the load ratings. With 15 inch you'll only be able to get a c-rated tire

Plus if you wanted to you could run 31s on it, saving you quite a bit of money and giving you a lower gear ratio
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turf tires run at far less pressure than highway tires and are "softer" than highway tires both of which affect traction.
  • Options
    remingtonoaksremingtonoaks Member Posts: 26,251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    Turf tires run at far less pressure than highway tires and are "softer" than highway tires both of which affect traction.

Yes but you can run vehicle tires at about 10 psi also...
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The tires are different for several reasons. One is speed ratings and another other UV resistance. Put the correct tires on the tractor and save money on milk at Aldi's to make up the cost difference.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,779 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Yes but you can run vehicle tires at about 10 psi also..."
    Which has NOTHING to do with tread surface and sidewall flexibility. This is what turf tires have but highway tires lack.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,358 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Mobuck
    "Yes but you can run vehicle tires at about 10 psi also..."
    Which has NOTHING to do with tread surface and sidewall flexibility. This is what turf tires have but highway tires lack.
    Yep.