In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

IRS Tax on firearms?

44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I recieved an e-mail that I want to know if it is true or hoax.
Supposedly Senate bill SB-2099, which is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986, says that you will have to pay a $50 tax on every firearm you own and possibly be fingerprinted, for your 2009 return.
Since it is an amendment, the finance commitee can pass it without a vote of the full senate. It will not become public knowledge until after it passes.
Fact or fiction?

Comments

• Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 44caliberkid
    Supposedly Senate bill SB-2099, which is an amendment to the Internal Revenue Act of 1986, says that you will have to pay a $50 tax on every firearm you own and possibly be fingerprinted, for your 2009 return.
    Since it is an amendment, the finance commitee can pass it without a vote of the full senate. It will not become public knowledge until after it passes.
    Fact or fiction?

http://www.truthorfiction.com/rumors/s/sb2099.htm
  • 44caliberkid44caliberkid Member Posts: 925 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks very much. I sent your link to the e-mailer. I did a search at senate.gov of the bill number and got nothing, so I was suspicious.
  • DieHard4DieHard4 Member Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't matter anyway. All of my guns are at the bottom of lake, so technically I don't own any more guns. But if this were true I'd still fight it for those who still own guns.
  • wsfiredudewsfiredude Member Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Fact or fiction?

Doesn't matter if it's true or not.

I will neither pay the tax nor be fingerprinted. They can go pound sand.[:(!]
  • Survivalist86Survivalist86 Member Posts: 3,105
    edited November -1
    My firearms were all melted down when lightning hit my safe while moving it. Taught me to never store magnesium bars in the safe.

h-effect030.jpg

NYC41.jpg
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,633 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by wsfiredude

You are not and will not be alone, my friend.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Don McManus

You are not and will not be alone, my friend.

Now if I can just find a BAR.[;)][:D]
  • MBKMBK Member Posts: 2,918 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes Hoax, but there is a real California attack on ammo buying happening today.

50 rounds a month by a dealer req him to become regulated,
    finger printing of purchasers,
    no mail order.
  • 375H&H375H&H Member Posts: 1,544 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You mean to tell me that there are folks on here who own guns [:0]
    I'd have to see em to beleive that [8)][}:)][;)][}:)][:D]
  • redneckandyredneckandy Member Posts: 9,705 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It sounds like something they would try to do. Every year you have to pay tax on your house, car, boat, ATV, ect., ect.. Why not everything else of value? Next thing you know there will also be a luxury tax on your big screen T.V..
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy
    It sounds like something they would try to do. Every year you have to pay tax on your house, car, boat, ATV, ect., ect.. Why not everything else of value? Next thing you know there will also be a luxury tax on your big screen T.V..

Those are state, county, and city taxes-not IRS taxes.
  • kidthatsirishkidthatsirish Member Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    good luck with that crap....I go boating a lot as well you know[;)]
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by redneckandy

And hopefully the telly tax would go to creating halfway decent TV *without commercials* like other countries that have it...
  • RogueStatesmanRogueStatesman Member Posts: 5,760
    edited November -1
    Fact or fiction?

+1
  • trapguy2007trapguy2007 Member Posts: 8,959
    edited November -1
    Not yet !
    But don't think they haven't talked about it .[}:)]
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Fact or fiction?

Yeah man! Kinda hope it is true.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MT357
    Fact or fiction?

Yeah man! Kinda hope it is true.

Same here. It would force a lot of folks off the fence and put them in a position of having to make a decision.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,858 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Yep, seperate the wheat from the chaff right away.