In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Ruger P series

Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
There are a ton of different models listed on Ruger's website, and frankly I don't know where to start comparing them. How is the quality? Are they reliable? Give me some tips guys.

Thanks.

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
-Benjamin Franklin

Comments

• SkyWatcherSkyWatcher Member Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I loved my P-95 (the one w/ the polymer lower). I lugged it around everywhere and didn't clean it well, so it got really beat up, but still functioned great. Had one FTE using reloads (that's out of thousands of rounds). Extremely easy to field strip. Great gun for the money.

To whom much is given, much is expected.
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've had a couple of P89's.Never shot them
    a WHOLE lot but never had a problem w/either
    one.Matter of fact,I can't say I've ever had
    a problem w/any Ruger product,and I've had
    (or still have) quite a few.IMHO,you just
    can't go wrong with a Ruger.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • bsallybsally Member Posts: 3,165
    edited November -1
    I love my P89TH. Never, never had any sort of malfunction. I think the quality is good for what you are buying. They are $350-400, so don't compare to a $1500 1911. You won't be dissapointed.

SALLY
    Committee member-Ducks Unlimited
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've owned a P85, two 89's and a P97 and shot a friend P90, the all functioned flawlessly!
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    First, what caliber are you looking to get?
    When I meet someone that is just starting out in firearms, I usually recommend that they get a P-series Ruger. Good value for the money. Most Rugers will not win bullzeye competitions but for the most part accuracy is decent, and they functions well. If they want to move up in quality, the Ruger holds it's value fairly well, (IF) they want to sell it. I have had quite a few over the years, and have yet to get a bad one.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    I have described Ruger as the Buick of the firearms industry. No it ain't a Cadillac, but it ain't bad. Ruger has always made a rough, tough, dependable gun it may not have the spit and polish of some makes or the diminutive size of others but they DO work.

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY
  • ohioghogohioghog Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the p93dc model is worth looking into. many nice features.
  • Mr.PissyPantsMr.PissyPants Member Posts: 3,575
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all the helpful replies cletus, skywatcher, bsally, bobby, and pickenup.

pickenup: I am looking at getting another .45 and don't have a lot of cash right now. But I always hear about the Ruger P series outstanding reliability. And I have an empty place in the cabinet with the word "pistol" written all over it. [:D]

fb0d9d60.jpg

Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    -Benjamin Franklin
  • gunpaqgunpaq Member Posts: 4,607 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I got a Ruger P-90 stainless this spring, new/used, for less than $300. It is all I shoot in a semi for fun these days. My poor P-85, 89 & 95 are so very jealous.

Ruger, the brick that works and when you run out of ammo they make a darn fine club. Shoot a Ruger like a Ruger and you will get the accuracy that you want but let your S&W, Glock and Kimber buddies shoot your Ruger and they will not get the same accuracy.............and they will also not get the malfunctions that they are accustom to.

I won A $50 bet several years ago with my Glock buddy by running over a 1,000 rds of Wolf ammo through my new P-95 without cleaning and not getting a single malfunction.

Pack slow, fall stable, pull high, hit dead center.
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a P90. I've fired a zillion rounds through it and it hasn't given me any trouble yet.

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have all the P-Seris Models except the P-85 and I have nothing but good things to say about all of them.I would trust my life with any of them.HTH

Best!!

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • cat-mechaniccat-mechanic Member Posts: 433 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Have a couple of P-90 myself. Tons of lead have gone through them both and not a single problem yet.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ANY WILL DO A GOOD JOB FOR YOU. JUST PICK YOU CAL.

I WOULD RATHER BE DUCK HUNTING.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,347 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I got a P85 in 1989 and it has never missed a beat. I haven't shot it like some of you guys, probably no more than a thousand rounds but I'm totally happy with it. It doesn't group 115 grain bullets very well though, it likes the 124 grain ones.

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!