In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Old Growth Logging Back in the Heyday

Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
edited January 2018 in General Discussion
Simpson Timber Company's
Slackline yarder #1
Camp Grisdale....Washington's Olympic Mountains
Grisdale was the last operating logging camp in the lower 48.

Slacker_one_at_Grisdale.jpg

Comments

• Options
    TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,270 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That brings back some memories setting chokers in the mountains north of Eureka, Ca. back in the early 70's. That was one job that would make a man out of you, or kill you in the process. I couldn't even imagine working that hard today.
    HPD, about what year was that pic taken?
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,390 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by TRAP55

HPD, about what year was that pic taken?
    Since they are still using a tree for a spar, I would say early to mid 60s. By the late 60s they were starting to use a steel tower.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Didn't know this had totally disappeared so long ago.
    https://tinyurl.com/griswald-timber
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Horse Plains Drifter
    Simpson Timber Company's
    Slackline yarder #1

I sent you an e-mail via GB some time back. I assume you didn't get it. I know/knew some people in the Forks and Port Angeles area, and just wanted to compare notes, as I recall that is your stomping ground. Do the names Addleman and Winters (both Sr. & Jr.) ring a bell? I went to school with Roger Addleman (Forks). Emory Winters Jr. (Pt Angeles) was my brother in law. He retired a couple of years ago. Drove into his 80's. Fell off the top of a load on his head at about 80, took a year off to recuperate, then went back to driving.

My wife and I used to camp at Brown Creek and Church Creek, as well as Spider lake on the Skokomish river. To get there we went thru Camp Govey, which was operational into the 60's and 70's, though it was not a residential camp. They off-loaded logs from trucks to rail cars there for the trip to Shelton
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Brian98579
    I sent you an e-mail via GB some time back. I assume you didn't get it. I know/knew some people in the Forks and Port Angeles area, and just wanted to compare notes, as I recall that is your stomping ground. Do the names Addleman and Winters (both Sr. & Jr.) ring a bell? I went to school with Roger Addleman (Forks). Emory Winters Jr. (Pt Angeles) was my brother in law. He retired a couple of years ago. Drove into his 80's. Fell off the top of a load on his head at about 80, took a year off to recuperate, then went back to driving.

My wife and I used to camp at Brown Creek and Church Creek, as well as Spider lake on the Skokomish river. To get there we went thru Camp Govey, which was operational into the 60's and 70's, though it was not a residential camp. They off-loaded logs from trucks to rail cars there for the trip to Shelton
    No sorry Brian, I never got an email. I always check my junk folder too. It seems the GB mail system is thoroughly fouled up.

I live on Grays Harbor, and my "stomping grounds" pretty much end at Quinault, which is still an hour south of Forks. So no, I don't know anybody up that way.

As you probably know Grisdale, where this picture was taken, is just over the mountains to the west from Govey.
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you tell me what "setting chokers" is.....and the significance of steel vs wood "spar". I'm a city boy.....don't understand but would like to know more. Thank you. DD
  • Options
    redhawkk480redhawkk480 Member Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    Can you tell me what "setting chokers" is.....and the significance of steel vs wood "spar". I'm a city boy.....don't understand but would like to know more. Thank you. DD

I've never worked on the kind of rig they're talking about here, but I have cut alot of wood in WI back when the skidder was the way it was done , you had a main line steel cable coming off the back of the skidder with about 6 choker coming off the main line, if you click on this link and look at the center picture that was the kind we used ,

https://www.westechrigging.com/wire-rope-logging-chokers.html

one end attaches too the main line the other end goes around the butt of the tree after its been drop , limbed and topped , (you take end of the choker ( the nub ) slide it under the butt and bring it up around and hook it back into whats called a choker hook, which forms a noose around the tree butt) the main line pulls tight, it chokes up on the butt and pulls the tree up tight to the machine , so it can be pull out to the the landing where its cut into logs and stacked until the log truck loads them up and hauls them to the saw mill

here's a utube link showing different skidders

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rvr1u-umnTA
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by DirtyDawg
    Yep redhawk knows what a choker is.

Choker:
    Choker.jpg

The red piece is the bell. It slides up and down the cable . The end of the choker with the knob or button, will unlatch from the bell. The chokersetter will push the button end under a log and then wrap it around the log, and latch it in the bell. You now have the log in a choke hold.

There would have been 3-4 chokers on this machine. They would have been 1" diameter cable, and 16'-20', even 24' long. The bell would have weighted around 4 pounds. One man/chokersetter/choker dog per choker. Hard, dangerous, physical, grueling work.

Now the tree: in the earliest days of cable yarding, 1890s theough the 1960s yarders used a tree to hang their blocks in to gain lift. You can see the 2 dark blobs on the tree in the picture. The top one is the mainline block which would have about a 36" sheave.
    The lower block is the haulback block, and is a bit smaller.
    You can also see some dark lines running out and down from the tree. Those are guy lines to keep the tree from pulling over.

In later years, there wasn't always a tree standing in the perfect spot. So the answer became a steel spar, or tower attached to the yarding machine itself. The yarder is to the right of the spar tree in the picture.

Just a tidbit: My old timber cutting partner's dad run the first mobile steel tower on the face of the planet.

More modern yarder with steel tower. The tower telescopes down, and lays back over the machine for moving. The machine is known as a yarder, or a tower. either term works:

Papac2.jpg
  • Options
    DirtyDawgDirtyDawg Member Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cool story and info. I enjoy reading and learning about all the adventures of everyone on this forum.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Flying Clay Disk
    I'd just like to know how they anchored those guy lines to withstand the turning moment from the torque of the winches and the weight of the timber plus the resistance of the ground. (?) Must have been some hellacious spikes driven into the dirt by Gawd himself! That dirt was pretty soft I imagine, so the anchors must have had to be driven in a long, long, ways.

Ones I have seen are anchored to stumps.
  • Options
    Dads3040Dads3040 Member Posts: 13,552 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Dads3040

Okay, with what? A choker? No eye-bolt is going to hold that force!

Makes sense though.

edit...just a quick (very rough) calculation...the turning moment must be something like 75x the load or more. So, if the load is say 5 tons, the anchor would have to withstand 375+ tons of tension to keep the boom upright.

Yes. Cable wrapped around stumps. Still find stumps with the cables around them near old deck sites.
  • Options
    Brian98579Brian98579 Member Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For those interested, following link shows historical pics and information on how this was done.
    http://www.washington.edu/uwired/outreach/cspn/Website/Classroom%20Materials/Curriculum%20Packets/High%20Lead%20Logging/I.html

I don't know if it's still there, but 30 yrs. ago there was a mock-up of a logging camp, and a complete spar-tree set up with a steam donkey, at Point Defiance Park near Tacoma. Really showed how it was in the old days.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Okay, with what? A choker? No eye-bolt is going to hold that force!

Makes sense though.

edit...just a quick (very rough) calculation...the turning moment must be something like 75x the load or more. So, if the load is say 5 tons, the anchor would have to withstand 375+ tons of tension to keep the boom upright.

Yes. Cable wrapped around stumps. Still find stumps with the cables around them near old deck sites.

Big stumps and big cable! And they didn't always hold. That's a sound you'll never forget when a 2" cable snaps and comes through the air like a bullwhip, cut a man in half before you can blink.
    DirtyDawg, setting chokers is more than just wrapping one around a log. Trees were usually dropped downhill with a stump between the log and yarder, so you had to know how to wrap the choker to roll the log out around the stump. If you didn't, it could result in snapped lines, and the yarder operator looking to beat your * with a Marlin spike.
    I had a couple of friends that would limb and top those spar trees. They made more doing one of those than I did in a month. If you ever saw them top a tree, you would know why. They couldn't pay me enough to try that!
  • Options
    wpageabcwpageabc Member Posts: 8,760 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The days of iron men and wooden ships...
    "What is truth?'
  • Options
    edited November -1

Big stumps and big cable! And they didn't always hold.
    Man, that's for sure. I have a neighbor just up the road who was a yarder operator. Yarder Engineer is the term used for those guys. He is retired now and 83(I think) years old. Anyway, some years ago he was badly injured when a guy line stump pulled, and the tube(tower)was pulled down over the yarder cab.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of those red colored cable bells hanging in the shop with no cable. I found the bell in my dads old stuff and I did not know for sure what was it's purpose. He worked in the sawmills in the late 20's and skidded logs with mules, lots of crosscuts saws then and not many chainsaws. He lived at or stayed at the sawmills in the mountains for several days before hauling out with the sawed lumber.

I climbed communication towers in my younger years, rigging antennas, tower lights, transmissions lines, and climbing power poles with spikes, but I would not want any part of the logging industry. That logging is really tough and dangerous work plus ticks and snakes. You don't see any Pansies, slackers, * draggers and Nancys in these types of jobs.[;)]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

I climbed communication towers in my younger years, rigging antennas, tower lights, transmissions lines, and climbing power poles with spikes, but I would not want any part of the logging industry. That logging is really tough and dangerous work plus ticks and snakes. You don't see any Pansies and Nancys in these types of jobs.[;)]
    The tree, which you can't see the top of yet in my original picture, required some guy with huge bronze testes to climb up that 100'-125'+, and cut the top off.
  • Options
    droptopdroptop Member Posts: 8,367 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Current logging operations are extremely dangerous. Loggers are 30 time more likely to be killed on the job than the average american worker.

100 years ago not many who worked in the logging industry or mills retired with all their fingers or other body parts. Today it might be better.
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,336 ******
    edited November -1
    Amazing photo, thanks for the share. Some of the most dangerous work ever performed on planet earth. And the pay was didly for what they did.

There are several hikes on the St. Joe Nat. Forest near me that go past old abandoned steam donkeys. All of it makes you wonder what sort of men were able to do that work.[:)]
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain
  • Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hmmm..........the first eight or so years I worked at Washington Iron, we made yarders, skidders, mobile spars, and plywood presses.
    I think my crowning glory was while I worked on the assembly floor as an apprentice and the leadman handed me a bundle of prints on Monday morning and told me "the undercarriage is down by the big door and the machinery deck is out in the yard...put it together" I assembled a TL-6 Yarder all by myself! Greatest feeling in the world when the guy that gave the finished product it's workout and it passed muster. Then they drove it to the waterfront and sent it to Alaska !
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Okie743

I climbed communication towers in my younger years, rigging antennas, tower lights, transmissions lines, and climbing power poles with spikes, but I would not want any part of the logging industry. That logging is really tough and dangerous work plus ticks and snakes. You don't see any Pansies and Nancys in these types of jobs.[;)]
    The tree, which you can't see the top of yet in my original picture, required some guy with huge bronze testes to climb up that 100'-125"+, and cut the top off.

Like this guy? Looks like it was shot on old 8mm,circa 50's/early 60's. Watch the ride he takes at the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWQWStFHTE
  • Options
    edited November -1

Like this guy? Looks like it was shot on old 8mm,circa 50's/early 60's. Watch the ride he takes at the end.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzWQWStFHTE

That's the guy!
  • Options
    35 Whelen35 Whelen Member Posts: 14,310 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    This thread reminds me of a spot I found up in the woods a year or so ago, while I was out shooting one weekend. Not far off the main road, easy to get to, and all kinds of old cable and other misc iron sticking out of the dirt, including a small dump full of old cans and bottles. No old abandoned mines nearby, so I assume it's leftovers from an old logging camp. It would be neat to find an old two-man saw or something like that.[8D]
    An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it.
  • Options
    austin20austin20 Member Posts: 34,994 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very cool guys
  • Options
    flyingcolumnflyingcolumn Member Posts: 374 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Simpson Timber Company's
    Slackline yarder #1

Boy, you sure know a lot about this stuff. You must be one of those riggin men I heard about.[:D]

• Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by flyingcolumn

Boy, you sure know a lot about this stuff. You must be one of those riggin men I heard about.[:D]

Hey, quit corkin' off! Howse come you wouldn't answer your phone yesterday?
  • Options
    toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for posting this HPD, I live in the middle (western Oregon), and know quite a few men who've "been there, and done that "sheet"". I personally have pulled a few lines as a "riggin' rat", but not to the extent that what was going on in those days.. Most of the guys that I know who've done that only have a few problems...they drink more beer than your average guy, like to fight, and are tougher than they are ever perceived, and have one helluva time finding pants that fit the thighs of a riggin rat that still fit their waist...

Check this out, it's about 25 miles from my house. It's dedicated as a memorial, but still has a bunch of old time stuff..

http://www.camp18restaurant.com/loggingmuseum.html

http://www.camp18restaurant.com/loggersmemorial.html
  • Options
    Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to College of the Redwoods in Eureka to get a degree in Forestry Technology in 1986. Learned all about choker setting, yarders, skidders, fellers, limbers and buckers, using chains to measure distance, and even how to apply for jobs in the field and in the mills. Timber was still paying well, but it was really taking a beating by the enviros. Sadly, by the time I got up there Pacific Lumber in Scotia had been taken over by Horowitz and Maxxam, and that Houston-based corporate raider went from a sustained yield operation to clear cutting. They made a quick buck, but it ruined the company forever. (This is just one reason why I can't stand when a company with a solid reputation is taken over by people with no clue what they are doing...Remington/Marlin, etc.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pacific_Lumber_Company

We used to kayak up redwood creek past the LP log decks...there was timber stacked 20 feet high all along their decks. Log and chip trucks were always plying up and down highway 101 going from the forest decks to sawmill or pulp mill.

LP was a pretty solid operation then. I think they're now gone, but Simpson is still working up there. My old place was on top of Humboldt Hill right up from Field's Landing. That's where I got my first experience with how powerful cheap Asian labor is on the market; it was less expensive for folks to knock the bark off of a tree trunk in Eureka, load it onto a ship in Fields Landing, ship to to Asia for milling and send it back, then it would be to finish it here in the US. [V]

I haven't been there in 28 years, and I hear both the LP and Simpson paper pulp mills in Samoa are gone now. I don't know how those timber families are surviving, and I wish them well. I really loved being up on the coast, and sometimes I look back and wonder why I ever left.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by toad67

Check this out, it's about 25 miles from my house. It's dedicated as a memorial, but still has a bunch of old time stuff..

http://www.camp18restaurant.com/loggingmuseum.html

http://www.camp18restaurant.com/loggersmemorial.html

Yep, we stopped in there a few years back. Ate lunch, and checked all the goodies over. I remember they had a Lamb "Tommy Moore" block. Lamb Machine Works was in Hoquiam. Camp 18 is a very cool spot.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NeoBlackdog
    Here's a few cool videos on NW logging.
    Tough SOB's!
    Thanks for the vids!

Here's a true story:
    In 2000, or 2001 I was working as a mechanic. One time I was working on this old boys shovel(see first pic for log shovel). This fella was getting on in years, and as we swapped stories, he told about the time when he was setting tongs in a loading deck. He said at that time he joined the Marine Corps. That was 1954. The tongs setting work was so grueling, he said that Marine Corps boot camp was like going on vacation.

See second pic for loading tongs. These things are huge. They are made from bar stock about 2-1/2" in diameter, and stand 4'+ tall. Probably weigh over 150 pounds.

Log Shovel:

Bills_Logging4_-_Copy.jpg

Loading Tongs:

log_booms_1.jpg