In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

I need tranny info UPDATE

tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I have an 02 Grand Caravan. Sometimes, after it sits for awhile, it hesitates before it will go. The longer it sits, the longer the wait. It happens in D or R. I have replaced filter and fluid and that has not helped.

Is there anything that can be done short of a rebuild?? Thanks, Tom

Update: My mechanic said short of going into the transmission, to try a bottle of LUCAS transmission restorer.

I won't say that it has fixed all my problems but It does go into drive in the mornings (last three since I added it) and it shifts OK. I can only hope this has saved me an overhaul. Tom

Comments

• 7RiverMan77RiverMan7 Member Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Torque Converter
  • War Pig ActualWar Pig Actual Member Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There's all kinds of trannys out here in SoCal. Are you looking for pre-op or post-op?[:D]
  • JohnnylikesgunsJohnnylikesguns Member Posts: 2,887 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Does nuteral and park work ok?
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    Its very difficult to diagnose a automatic transmission problem over
    the Internet. However more information is needed. Was the trany fluid
    burnt - brown in color? Does the problem manifest when the transmission
    is hot or cold.
  • COLTCOLT Member Posts: 12,637 ******
    edited November -1
    ...DUH ME!![:D]...uh, er, nevermind...my reading, or lack of...[:0]

...Could be simple, something you can do for less than $50 bucks, in an hour.

...When was the last time the filter and fluid was changed? If it's been awhile and the filter is blocked, your truck will barely move then not move at all...If it's been awhile, I'd change filter/gasket/fluid, clean out the pan, and IF you get this done at a garage, get them to check the bands and tighten them, I can do the filter/gasket/fluid...but have no idea how to tighten the bands, luck...[;)]

ani-texas-flag-2.gif
  • savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,504 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    With these new ones it might be a sticking solenoid valve you would save yourself alot of headaches and have somebody hook it up to a diagnostic
  • Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,637 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    http://www.rupaul.com/bio/index.shtml

Probably more info than you want.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    Have a 2000 Grand Caravan that started doing that last year. It was the shift solenoid in the tranny. Cost less than $250 to have it replaced. Has run fine since.
  • bhale187bhale187 Member Posts: 7,798
    edited November -1
    You're going to have to get it inspected by a pro, there's just no other way to know. On my Monte Carlo a few years ago I had exactly the same thing, after it warmed up it was fine, but when cold it would rev up but not move. Mine ended up being belt driven insteadof chains, and the belts had stretched so it need a full rebuild.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for all replies.

The old oil was good and red when changed. It only hesitates when cold. After it starts it shifts and drives ok.

I understand manual trannies but automatics are out of my league. I tried to read up on the torque converter but only got more confused. How would that make it hesitate for a few seconds before it engaged?? Tom
  • iluvgunsiluvguns Member Posts: 5,351
    edited November -1
    quote:I tried to read up on the torque converter but only got more confused. How would that make it hesitate for a few seconds before it engaged??

If it were low on fluid (and you said it's not) the fluid could have all drained out of the converter, thus causing your problem. When fluid was pumped into the converter, it would move. Again, you said low fluid was not a problem, so I have no other clue than a shift solenoid sticking on it.
  • D1D1 Member Posts: 11,412
    edited November -1
    I typed "Tranny" in GOOGLE and you don't want to know what I saw!
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1
    "How would that make it hesitate for a few seconds before it engaged?? Tom"

The Torque converter is just a pump, if the vanes in it get messed up or a bad internal oil seal it'll take a wile to pump up.
  • A J ChristA J Christ Member Posts: 7,534
    edited November -1
    Tranny?

Can't you spell transmission?
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my 02 dodge truck has been that way since i bought it new . it only hsa 50k miles on it
  • jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,664 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    CLICK HERE TO VISIT LADYBOY PROS!
    is what comes UP when you search tranny
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Tom....I didn't know you swung that way...
  • 180A180A Member Posts: 828 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like the front pump in the transmission to me.
  • tccoxtccox Member Posts: 7,379 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    For all of you who don't think I can spell "trunsmishun" SO THERE!! Tom
  • 11BravoCrunchie11BravoCrunchie Member Posts: 33,423 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by War Pig Actual
    There's all kinds of trannys out here in SoCal. Are you looking for pre-op or post-op?[:D]

How did I know that was going to show up in the first 10 replies just by looking at the thread title???
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,863 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 180A
    Bingo!
  • M-14BULLETTSM-14BULLETTS Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAVE YOU OR YOUR MECHANIC CHECKED TO SEE IF THERE IS ANY TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLITENS ON THIS ISSUE FOR FACTORY SERVICE, AND OR RECALLS ON THIS UNIT. I THINK THERE WAS ONE ON YOUR TRANS. CHECK BEFORE DODGEBOMA CLOSES THERE DOORS , OR MABY AS THE MESSIA SAID THE WHITE HOUSE WILL HONOR WARRENTY
  • fishkiller41fishkiller41 Member Posts: 50,608
    edited November -1

Please clarify "FRONT PUMP".
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,863 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by fishkiller41

Please clarify "FRONT PUMP".
    Yeah, the guy should have had just said "pump", since nothing has had a rear pump since '65 or '66, but I knew what he meant.