In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Chevy Guys

cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
edited March 2011 in General Discussion
I'm so old that I remember factory orange engines. They changed to blue sometime. Anyone know when? I'm building a 355 to put in a mild custom '88 - C1500 & want to use the correct engine color.

Thanks guys,
It's too late for me, save yourself.

Comments

• Options
    cbxjeffcbxjeff Member Posts: 17,427 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    on a sbc, that needs starter shim, I have not dealt with this problem before. what can you tell me about it.
    It's too late for me, save yourself.
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that mid seventies Chevy stopped painting the engines orange and went blue. Probably around 1975, I remember seeing orange 74 engines and blue engines in 76's.

However, for your 1988 project I am pretty certain the correct engine color is black. I have had several late 80's and 90's trucks and all the engines were black. Hope this helps!
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Every factory engine I remember being painted was orange. It seems that they quit painting them all together at some point.
  • Options
    Old-ColtsOld-Colts Member Posts: 22,700 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When they stopped painting them racing orange, they stopped being Chevy! [;)][}:)][:D]

If you can't feel the music; it's only pink noise!

• Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    goodwrench counter replacement engines were blue. Ist year I recalls seeing a blue engine was around 1980-81 in a corvette.
  • Options
    btkbtk Member Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20
    I believe that mid seventies Chevy stopped painting the engines orange and went blue. Probably around 1975, I remember seeing orange 74 engines and blue engines in 76's.

However, for your 1988 project I am pretty certain the correct engine color is black. I have had several late 80's and 90's trucks and all the engines were black. Hope this helps!

Maybe they were black recently. It seems like my '97 was gray
  • Options
    savage170savage170 Member Posts: 37,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm pretty certain it was 1977 when they went to blue my dad was working at the corvette factory in St. Louis when they changed over.
    I worked at the Corvette Factory in 1980 and they was still blue then
  • Options
    76k2076k20 Member Posts: 643 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by btk
    quote:Originally posted by 76k20

Maybe they were black recently. It seems like my '97 was gray

I have had '87, '95, '97, and 2000 full size Chevy trucks; all engines were black.

*Edit*

btk,

The intake manifold on your '97 would have been aluminum, and that part of the engine is gray.
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    How about this for an answer.

quote:Chevy Engine Spray Paint, Orange, 1955, 1957-1972
    Exact Match To Original Small Block Engine Orange
    High Temperature/High Gloss
    12 Oz. Spray
    This Chevy engine orange spray enamel paint matches the original Chevrolet color used on small block Chevy engines. Use this paint for in-car touch ups or complete removal and repaints where a spray gun cannot be used. After the engine surface is clean and free of old paint flakes and grease, the paint can be applied directly to the engine casting. A spray primer surfacer is recommended when painting steel items like valve covers and timing chain covers. For overall engine repaints, 4 cans are recommended to complete the job. Make it look original with Chevy engine orange spray paint.
  • Options
    JnRockwallJnRockwall Member Posts: 16,350 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had an 88 chevy 1500 w/350 engine and I can tell you the engine was not painted. Raw metal. Cast iron block w aluminium heads. Truck ran like a scalded cat. Wish I had a $1 for every 5.0 I put away in that truck.
  • Options
    jwb267jwb267 Member Posts: 19,666 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i bought a brand new 77 (350ci) pickup, the engine was blue.
    i'm not 100% sure, but i think my dad's 73 6 cylinder was blue
  • Options
    grumpygygrumpygy Member Posts: 53,466
    edited November -1
    So nobody has read my post above they were Orange

quote:1955, 1957-1972
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    I had a 1974 Vega and the engine was an oily color....[:I][V]
  • Options
    LesWVaLesWVa Member Posts: 10,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by jwb267
    i bought a brand new 77 (350ci) pickup, the engine was blue.
    i'm not 100% sure, but i think my dad's 73 6 cylinder was blue

My Dad also bought a 73 and a new 74, 6 cylinder trucks. Both engines were blue in color and Blew at around 75,000 miles.

1974.. The last year my Dad bought a Chevy and the last year that he bought a quart of Valvoline oil.
  • Options
    OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can damned well tell you that the engine in my 1962 Corvette 327-300 was painted Orange.

OleDuk[8D][8D]
  • Options
    JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    CaptplaidCaptplaid Member Posts: 20,296 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    '75 was orange.
    '77 was blue.

This I know.
  • Options
    Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,356 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Old-Colts
    When they stopped painting them racing orange, they stopped being Chevy! [;)][}:)][:D]
    I never heard it called that before, I always heard it called distress orange.