In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

dan kelly

aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
edited May 2009 in General Discussion
I just edited a TV show about Bondi Beach. It really took my breath away! I think you'all got them California beach's beat by a mile. I hope i'm able to visit Australia someday while i'm still young.

Comments

• aramisviaramisvi Member Posts: 4,589
    edited November -1
    Did not want to hijack the colonels' thread.
    How is your neck? Doc told me Wednesday I have a slipped disc in mine. MRI is Tuesday.
    edited November -1
    You haven't posted since Christmas. Are you ok?
    edited November -1
    I have a question for you. I work in a liquor & wine warehouse. We carry a few different wines imported from Australia and one in particular has really taken off the past few years. "Alice White" is selling like crazy. I was just curious as to if this is a real popular wine in Australia or just one of those things that takes off here for some reason? I know that we carry a few more as well, but the only other one that I can think of at the moment is "Little Boomey".

Jon
    edited November -1
    Do you get to do any of that kangaroo management down there?

Just saw a deal on that on National Geographic.
    edited November -1
    I just saw the movie about your "brother" Ned Kelly... I think it's a Great Movie! Have you seen it? Is it popular in Australia?

ned_kelly.jpg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ned_Kelly
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
    Are you around the large wild land fires I have been seeing? Looks nasty.
    edited November -1
    i was able to find a copy of Red Gum "I was only 19" very good song. i think i shall look around and see if i can find anything else by em,

also, if you are up and about what time is it there? its like 1 a.m. here

any way thought i would tell ya i found the song, any others you can recommend?
    edited November -1
    I was replying ot your post in the "French - joke" post, but it got locked (deservedly) due to posting violations.

Hey, my hat is off to the Aussies. You guys fit the definition of "True Friend" to the US, and yet I wonder if the average citizen even knows this? (Don't forget the "average" US citizen has a hard time finding Idaho on the map {no offense pietro75 or ECC}, let alone the land of Oz).

But Austrailia has always been there for us, unlike some unnamed European country that owes us their lives...at the cost of a lot of ours (US and Aussies)

PS...Holden makes some kick-* cars.

you ever come to the States, please let me know, we need to throw down a few, my friend.
    edited November -1
    dan kelly---I've been banging around You Tube past couple days, came across this link. You're Military in Iraq as background

My understanding is every school kid to the adults knows Waltzing Matilda, I was searching for a good arrangement and came across this. Do you have any suggestions in addition to this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JV5nbOGRu3Y&feature=related
    edited November -1
    Just for you, I know you idealize your alter ego[:D] by the way for those who don't know, the Kelly's were the first ones to use iron plate to stop bullets effectively
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=0apbdroLad4
    edited November -1
    Judges Fond of Probation: An unnamed Children's Court judge in Melbourne, Australia, sentenced eight boys to probation in November even though he had found them guilty of sexually assaulting a teenage girl, setting her hair on fire, spitting and urinating on her, and filming the episode. (There was no jail time, but the youths were assigned to a rehabilitation program teaching "positive sexuality"!) [The Age (Melbourne), 11-5-07]
    edited November -1
    Watched the New Zealand match today with my girls, they were tearing the ref a new one. Wow, those were some bad calls. Keeper for NZL was good.
    edited November -1
    Did this land in your backyard?
    Sell it back to them for scrap

Huge NASA Science Balloon Crashes in Australian Outback

This story was updated at 10:51 a.m. EDT.

A huge NASA balloon loaded with a telescope painstakingly built to scan the sky at wavelengths invisible to the human eye crashed in the Australian outback Thursday, destroying the astronomy experiment and just missing nearby onlookers, according to Australian media reports.

In dramatic video released by the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC), the giant 400-foot (121-meter) balloon is seen just beginning to lift its payload, then the telescope gondola appears to unexpectedly come loose from its carriage. The telescope crashes through a fence and overturn a nearby parked sport utility vehicle before finally stopping.

The attempted balloon telescope launch took place at the Alice Springs Balloon Launching Centre, near the town of Alice Springs, in the northern territory of Australia.

The wayward balloon overturned one car, but missed another parked nearby with local Alice Springs couple Stan and Betty Davies, who had come to watch the launch, still inside.

"We were sitting in our car and preparing to move it out of the way and we were actually about a foot of being wiped out," ABC quoted Davies as saying.

The balloon was carrying the Nuclear Compton Telescope (NCT), a gamma-ray telescope built by astronomer Steven Boggs and his colleagues at the University of California, Berkeley, California to study astrophysical sources in space.

"Today was a terrible day for a lot of people," wrote Eric Bellm, a graduate astronomy student at the UC Berkeley, in a blog chronicling the science mission. "For the NCT team, we've poured our hearts into this instrument for years. It was an almost unfathomable shock to find ourselves cleaning up the wreckage of our gondola rather than watching it lift off towards space."

The unmanned research balloon was built by NASA's Columbia Scientific Balloon Facility in Palestine, Texas and expected to haul its two-telescope payload up to an altitude of about 120,000 feet (36,576 meters). That's about 23 miles (37 km), though smaller home-built balloons have been built to reach high altitudes as well.

In his account of the crash, Bellm said an investigation into the balloon's launch failure will be performed, though a first glance found that at least some of the components for the Nuclear Compton Telescope appear to have survived relatively intact. The science team has cleaned up the wreckage and returned it to a staging hangar, he added.

Ravi Sood, director of the Alice Springs Balloon Launching Centre and a professor at Australia's University of New South Wales, said no one was hurt in the incident, but sometimes balloon launches can go awry.

"Ballooning, that's the way it happens on occasions but it is very, very disappointing. Gut-wrenching actually," he told ABC.

The failed balloon launch in Australia marked NASA's second balloon science campaign this month at the remote site. On April 15, NASA's balloon science program launched Tracking and Imaging Gamma Ray Experiment (TIGRE), a gamma-ray telescope, to search the galactic center of the sky for emissions from radioactive materials, NASA officials said.

That launch, which sent the telescope and its balloon to an altitude of 127,000 feet (38,709 meters), went according to plan, the space agency said.

The balloon's next payload to fly, an X-ray telescope called HERO aimed at mapping the galactic center for NASA's Marshall Space Flight Center, was targeted for May, Australian officials added.
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/space/20100429/sc_space/hugenasascienceballooncrashesinaustralianoutback
    edited November -1
    Dan,

Given your location I have to wonder: do you have access to (or know
    anyone who might) to the native hardwoods of...

Ringed Gidgee

or

Red Mallee Burl.?

I had a guy in OZ. that sent me a couple batches of blocks (1?x2x5")
    , but that source has since dried up.

From what I understand, the Gidgee is only found in one particular
    region and is fairly rare.

Anyway, if you can come up with any of this, please let me know.[:)]

stevequill.gif
    edited November -1
    Teen's bill for a wild party? Cops say $18,000
    Australian officials say host may have to pay cost of breaking up gathering

updated 11:26 a.m. ET, Mon., Jan. 14, 2008
    MELBOURNE, Australia - An Australian teenager who threw a wild party while his parents were away could face a hefty fine after police said Monday they might charge him for the cost of breaking up the gathering.

More than 500 people turned up to the party Saturday in the southern city of Melbourne, and some of them went on a rampage when police responded to complaints about the noise.

Police cars were pelted with glass bottles and nearby houses and gardens were vandalized before at least 30 officers, a helicopter and the dog squad were able to end the melee at the suburban home. No one was arrested.

Victoria state Police Commissioner Christine Nixon said it would be difficult to prove exactly who caused the estimated $18,000 in damage, but the youth may hold ultimate responsibility because he threw the party.

"He needs to learn a lesson, and one way or another we will be making sure that happens," Nixon told reporters at a news conference.

The 16-year-old told local media he had no regrets about the party because he believed invited guests had no role in the ruckus. Asked if he would do it again, the youth said he would do it again this weekend - if his parents were not due home from a vacation this week.

Victoria's acting Premier Rob Hulls said the youth's parents had no idea about the party and were horrified when police told them what had happened.
    edited November -1
    Anybody heard from him? I see he's not posted since 12/31, and with all that flooding happening in Austraila, I'm wondering....
    edited November -1
    Sorry about the NZ thing, got mixed up. Thought that is where you resided. Just took a self improvement course on Geography and I see ya now.
    Been watching shows concerning your little friends lately. Devils and cancer. That is nasty stuff. Hope they get it under control. Those T. Devils are some fierce little critters. They remind me of our badgers and wolverines. Nasty dispositions in small packages.
    Goodaye mate.
    edited November -1
    A short while back, we had a discussion about growing tobacco.

I don't know how true this is, but I am going to post it, in case it interests you. This is in reference to growing tobacco plants in Oz.

quote:No it is not legal.
    Some companies will post seeds to Australia others won't usually it is very clear wether or not they are willing to do so.

Its not exactly illegal to grow tobacco in Australia only illegal to smoke, cure or sell it... or to sell. give away or trade seeds. It's ATO (Australian Taxation Office) or FP (Federal Police) business although the State Police can be called in to assist ATO Officers.
    There are a lot of people growing their own, they just keep quiet about what it is. If people are caught growing tobacco plants in Australia they just say they don't know what the plant is, but the flowers look pretty so they alllow it to grow. People are very rarely prosecuted unless they are selling it as chop-chop.

Perhaps your wife likes flowers, and perhaps she doesn't know what type of plant it IS. And perhaps you quietly harvested the leaves at night...... [;)][}:)]
    edited November -1
    Just a question about your hot water system. Do you use a tankless system?? If I am not mistaken the USA is the only country that used tanks. I have never been in any other country that uses tanks.

Don't know whay we are so backsward!! Tom
    edited November -1
    Is this your review over on Dixie Gun Works?

PH0924 PEDERSOLI HOWDAH HUNTER PISTOL .58 X .58 Reviews

Product: PH0924 PEDERSOLI HOWDAH HUNTER PISTOL .58 X .58 PH0924 PEDERSOLI HOWDAH HUNTER PISTOL .58 X .58
    Date: Wednesday 12 August, 2009
    Review:

When I first discovered the Howdah pistol, I was tempted, but at that time the pistol was only available in .50 or 20 gauge, my previous muzzleloader was a .58 so all of my equipment was geared to that caliber, so I didn't buy it.
    Now I'm glad I waited, I bought the .58 as soon as it was available and it's beautiful. Fit and finish is as close to perfect as anything gets, and it really attracts attention at the range. Trigger pull is smooth and not too heavy.
    The pistol is very large and very muzzle heavy, and of course it doesn't have any sights, just a bead near the muzzle like a shotgun. But it is a blast to shoot. I've been using a 50 grain charge of FFFG equivalent with a 550 grain minie. Recoil is mild and it makes really big holes in the target.
    I'm very glad I bought this pistol and it has a special place in my collection.
    I've always had excellect service from the people at Dixie Gun Works and this time was no exception. If you have a question they will do their best to answer it, they definitely go out of their way to provide the best service possible.
    edited November -1
    Is this your favorite bar?[:D][:D]
    http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20080918/od_afp/australiaentertainmentpeoplespearsunderwearoffbeat_080918160335

MELBOURNE (AFP) - An Australian pub has come under fire for offering free drinks to women who take off their panties and hang them on a rail above the bar.

The Saint Hotel in Melbourne promoted its offer as "No undie Sunday," with a notorious paparazzi picture of US singer Britney Spears getting out of a car wearing no knickers.

The advertisement in an entertainment magazine offers a free glass of champagne to women who "flash bra or undies to bar staff."

Those who go further and "hang your undies on the line above the bar" win 50 dollars (40 US dollars) worth of free drinks.

Politicians and the hotel industry accused the management of sexism and "inappropriate" behaviour.

"In this day and age, in 2008, to be promoting the drinking of alcohol along those lines, I just think is part of a bygone era," said Victoria state's acting Premier Rob Hulls.

The same hotel drew criticism in June when it employed a shirtless dwarf to pour shots of liquor down the throats of patrons.
    edited November -1
    What is the Ausie to NZ currency exchange now
    edited November -1
    i got this link in an email, its on youtube. supposedly a answering machine recording at a school in Queensland. thought i wold ask if you had heard about it, or could lend any credance to it.

if it is real, i say kudos to the school, more parents and kids should be accountable. some of the schools in The States should try something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwghabw4N80
    edited November -1
    I seen a post tonight about that you find rocks or gems do you ever find any unique aussie opals? Thanks
    edited November -1
    Glad to see ya posting Mr. Dan

How are things down under?

People were asking about you just the other day.
    edited November -1
    Hey is "Sea Patrol" popular down under? It is about the Australian Navy doing of course Sea Patrols. I have watch the first season on Hulu and was wondering if there was a season 2.

Thanks

Johnny
    edited November -1
    My package came today Thank you. I have more to add to my collection. Thanks Again , Barbwired.[^][:D][:D][:D]
    edited November -1
    can i get a copy of the pic of you with the koala you helped???
    edited November -1
    you got an E-mail

Sorry to all I came back tonight, Just had to tell Dan I e-mailed him. leaving now bu-bye
    edited November -1
    email me please
    edited November -1
    What date and time is it there?
    edited November -1
    Whats the latest on the fires?...anyone charged yet?...deaths?..total acres burned?...Can you give us an update?
    edited November -1
    What kind of stones , gems , rocks do you find yourself down under the reason for asking is I'm a rock hound.
    edited November -1
    edited November -1
  • dan kellydan kelly Member Posts: 9,799
    edited November -1
    the day will never come when you see me with a koala mate...they stink real bad, and they pee all over you if you pick them up[B)]
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by aramisvi
    can i get a copy of the pic of you with the koala you helped???

the one from the wildfires?
    edited November -1
    yeah... the one from the fires

dan... wasn;t that you?????

i'm lost
  • hotshoothotshoot Member Posts: 4,227
    edited November -1
    koala-topper.jpg
    I didn't think it was him.

but here is a pic i found his name is "sam"