In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Removing a Stuck Nipple from revolver?

jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
edited September 2003 in General Discussion
Ok, all you BP shooters here. Recently I bought 2 used BP revolvers.
Havent shot them yet and figured I'd clean (looked clean when I got em) and lube em and go to the range.

Well, no problem with one of them. The other I barely got 4 of the nipples out and 2 of them are stuck for sure. I tried break fee, soaking them, hot water, more break free and even bent a pair of needle nose pliers and tore the crap out of a nipple wrench, I mean I shredded that wrench to pieces. Dont look rysted and even tried tapping the cyclinder and around the nipples with a plastic mallet to try and break whatever is holding them up. No dice.

I have no idea what to do next, any thoughts?

JuJu (highly ticked off right now)

Comments

• rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    Makes me wonder if somebody used locktight on the threads.....

annoyaliberal.jpgnotmyfault.gif
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    JuJu you will think I am crazy but boil a small pan of ater. Add some dawn dish soap in it and drop the cylinder into it to soak for 15 to 20 minutes. Take the cylinder out and try an open ended wrench on the 2 stuck nipples. I think it takes a 5/16 or 6 to 8 mm. If that doesn't work heat the nipples with a small butane tourch (butane pen torch) and then try the wrench. All else fails then drill them out and retap! Let me know before you drill so I can check what size drill to use. Want a smaller drill than hole that nipple fits in! Good luck. You can also use an ease out in the nipple after soaking in the boiling water.
    edited November -1
    or pay the $25.00 or whatever for a new cylinder.

• Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Use a small punch to drift it loose by tapping on the sides of the nipple. In other words try turning it out with the punch and a small hammmer.

Politicians are like diapers, every so often you need to change them, for obvious reasons.
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    Hey guys, thanks for all the suggestions!!!

I am boiling soap and water now, then gonna soak in break free overnight. Tomorrow gonna go to the hardware store and get a brass punch and the wrench I need.

If all that fails, I am just gonna order a new cyclinder[:D]

JuJu (you guys are the best !!!!!!!!!)
  • robsgunsrobsguns Member Posts: 4,581 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I also heard someone say something on here once about this suggestion, but not sure what it will do for you. Try putting the cylinder in the freezer over night and then see if you can do anything with the nipples, the nipples might just contract enough to unseize when you try loosening them up next time.

marinesega2.jpg
    SSgt Ryan E. Roberts, USMC
  • HangfireHangfire Member Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    juju, don't dismiss that e-z out!It'll take out a frozen nipple much better than a wrench-Bob

Gun control is a steady hand
    edited November -1
    Even quicker than that go get ya some dry ice and break off a small enough piece to hold in some tweezers and hold it against the nipple......then see if you can unscrew.

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Get some kroil and see if they loosen up.

If that doesn't work. Get yourself some canned air or another source of co2 or freon. Heat the cylender in the oven while still hot rapidly cool only the nipples using the canned air.

Woods
  • powdersmokepowdersmoke Member Posts: 3,241
    edited November -1
    Just got back in. You should.... Well hey!!! looks like you got it under control.[:D]

fc3cdbfd.gif

When you wrestle a 'gator, there ain't no good end!!

"Molon Labe!" Spartan General-King Leonidas
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It may be too late for it now but for next time get a 3/8 socket head screw,cut it off to about an inch long, drill out the end to just clear the body and file a slot to fit snug on the nipple flats. These
    socket head screws are tough alloy steel and will move tight nipples without damaging either, using an Allen wrench.
  • BoomerangBoomerang Member Posts: 4,513
    edited November -1
    I really don't like dry ice on my nipples; however that would make them stand out before they fell off.[:o)]

Boomer

"Success is to be measured not so much by the position that one has reached in life as it is by the obstacles which one has overcome while trying to succeed."NRA Life Member
    edited November -1
    Well????????? Did you get em out yet?

marinesega2.jpg
  • FrancFFrancF Member Posts: 35,278 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ok I am learning something here about BP. Do you have to change/remove them from wear/cleaning?

hsas157x100.gif
    gun1.gif

"I know Everything because
    my Wife is a Hair Stylist"
    edited November -1
    I take mine out to clean the cylinder each time I fire it. I dont know if its required, but it sure seems to be a good idea to me, and it makes it a lot easier to clean the cylinder well, also probably goes a long way towards keeping something like this from happening, meaning frozen nipples in a cylinder when you least expect it.

marinesega2.jpg
  • RembrandtRembrandt Member Posts: 4,486 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...try heat....place a soldering gun tip on the nipple and let it warm up...this works well on items installed with Locktite.
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,313 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a guy might want to use some anti-sieze on the threads when you put those nipples back in. Had to put in my two cents.[:D]

81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • jujujuju Member Posts: 6,321
    edited November -1
    quote: Well????????? Did you get em out yet?

Robsguns, no not yet, I havent had a chance to work on it today like I wanted to.

Maybe tomorrow[?]

quote:Sounds like a guy might want to use some anti-sieze on the threads when you put those nipples back in. Had to put in my two cents

MT357 - hadnt fired the guns since I bought them USED!! I always put breechplug grease on my BP rifles but the revolvers were bought used and obviously the previous owner didnt do that.

JuJu (just my .02 back[:D][;)])
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't imagine why anyone would want to use Loctite on nipple threads.
    An antiseize compound sounds like a smart idea for those shooters who don't take nipples out regularly.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    You sure hold your pistols funny..I poke mine waaayyy out in front..
    that way I don't have to worry about powderburns either...

God,Guts,& GunsHave we lost all 3 ??
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    FrancF, when a lot of BP shooters clean their guns they use the old fashion method, boiling hot water & soap. If you drop the cylinder into a hot water solution then some of the water will seep in around the nipples thus causing rust later on. Also BP residue will also cause them to stick from corrosion. I pull the nipples out of my Remington revolver as well as all my BP caplock rifles when cleaning them. I then take Q-Tips and clean as much as I can of the threads in the cylinder or drum. I also dry the nipple and then place a small drop of 3-in-1 oil on the threads before putting the nipple back in. On BP caplock rifles I also use a Q-Tip to dry out the drum as much as possible.

It makes you wonder how the mountain men or the pioneers kept their guns in good shooting order! I would venture to say that there was a lot of bear grease used on the guns of the 18th & 19th centuries. Can you imanage reclaiming your lead after killing game to melt back down to pour another ball? What about the shooting matches where one of the prizes was the stump or block of wood that every one was shooting into! Man have things really changed over the years.

Good luck JuJu. If there is lock tite on them is there a solution that will help to disolve it?