In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Can you use a .223 for deer hunting?

Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I was wondering if it is a good enough caliber for most areas?

What do you think Rugerman?

Mad Dog

Comments

• old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis you know this is a tabbo subject and will just draw fire and Lord knows where it will go from here. [;)]

psalms 16
  • Travis HallamTravis Hallam Member Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Old06; Yeah, Thats what Rugerman said so I was just testing his theory.[:D]

Mad Dog
  • OleDukOleDuk Member Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of states require a larger caliber, VA is one, which requires deer rifles to be at least .23 cal.
    But then there are other states where it would be legal. If I were going to try it, I'd shoot a good 70 or more grain soft point as fast as I could get it to go.
    I'm sure others on the board have used it with lighter bullets with success.
    Good luck
    OleDuk
  • FrogdogFrogdog Member Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pretty much anything will work if you put it in the right spot. I'd say first make sure it's legal in your area. I make no claim to be an expert on ballistics, but if you have doubts about the .223 after you get all your advice, go with a larger round. It always sucks to lose a deer.
  • cletus85cletus85 Member Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Travis I think you and I can, but I don't recommend anyone else do it. I got that CZ-527 in .223 recently, I hate not to get some use out of it.
  • bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,742 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not in Kansas...
    .23 caliber (or larger) centerfire only.

Yep, it's a taboo subject but they will work. I finished off a wounded deer one year with a single headshot from my 10/22 (not my deer, we were done and I was rabbit hunting).
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • headzilla97headzilla97 Member Posts: 6,445
    edited November -1
    O god wait till tom your going to get castrated first 105 speeding ticket now this

We're men. Its our God given right to watch sports and smut" - Al Bundy
  • old06old06 Member Posts: 577 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Heck Travis 223 way to powerful I got one word for you spear or maybe get up in a tree over a trail and jump down with your swiss army in your hand and go for the jugguler.

psalms 16
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not legal here. Too small. [}:)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
    edited November -1
    Old06:"get up in a tree over a trail and jump down with your swiss army in your hand and go for the jugguler".

I always wanted to try that but is it legal? That and I would use a custom made fixed blade. I would not trust a cheap swiss army knife.

Mad Dog
  • bluegoose11bluegoose11 Member Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey Travis
    Would you do all of us a favor when you do the tarzan jump make sure you are being cam corded Im sure all of us would like to watch you
    edited November -1
    I will have to find a good cup first.[:D]

Mad Dog
  • sitkablacktailsitkablacktail Member Posts: 20 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken several blacktail deer with a .223 using 60 grain Nosler Partions and have work well, these deer are quite small I would think twice on larger whitetails. Shot placment is the key.
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    It's just like the 25/06 it's basically worthless!!! [:D][:p]

pa.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIR'S - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    I understand that it's legal in all states, if you get written permission from the deer ahead of time. [^]

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, I was thinking of changing my handle to Ruger223man, but I dont have a ruger 223, its an NEF, so I'd have to be NEF223Man, but then no one would recognize me.

And on that note, the 223 is the superior whitetail cartridge. [:D][:p]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • Texas HunterTexas Hunter Member Posts: 484 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The real problem with a light round like the .223 is angle shots.
    The deer you shoot from a bad angle will die from the wound but you probably wont find him.
    Yes a .223 can kill deer but in my opinion it is to risky to use on such a fine animal as whitetail deer unless in the hands of a really good shot who can wait for the right angle and shot placement.
    If i owned or operated a ranch you would not be allowed in the field with a caliber that light.

mike
  • BOBBYWINSBOBBYWINS Member Posts: 7,810
    edited November -1
    I've never owned a .223(not yet anyway),but I have taken many whitetails with my .222 mag,which,for all practical purposes is the same thing.Truth be known,I've never tried a body shot,just head or upper neck.As has been mentioned,it will do the job in the right hands.

BW

IT'S WHAT PEOPLE KNOW ABOUT THEMSELVES THAT MAKES THEM AFRAID.
  • gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Here in michigan the law used to be any centerfire rifle cartridge larger than .22, they changed it within the last 5 years to any centerfire rifle cartridge. So technicaly here yes you can use a .223 for whitetail deer. Is it a little light for whitetail IMHO yes it is. Can you kill a deer with one yes you can I shot one 2 years ago just out of curiosity shot through the lungs the deer still ran about 50 yards and no blood trail to speak of. I would'nt reccomend anyone try this the cartridge is just too light for the job. I mean you wouldn't try to frame a house with a jewlers hammer would you?
  • MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 14,012 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My kids have killed a pickup load of deer with 223 but I don't consider it a good deer gun. There are too many variables involved to recommend it for general use. I can vouch for 3 bullets, speer 70 gr semi-spitzer, hornady 60 soft point, nosler 60 gr partition. I've seen all of these give full penetration on broadside hits. Quartering shots are not good. You must use a lot of self control and be prepared to wait for the right shot and pass on iffy presentations. When my kids were using the 223, I was right beside them with my rifle up and ready for a follow up shot. Most of the time the insurance shot was not required but a few times it assured the deer didn't escape.

Mobuck
  • HappyNanoqHappyNanoq Member Posts: 12,023
    edited November -1
    Considering the danish guidelines/laws about Deer-hunting and peoples experience here on Caribou/Reindeer as well as Greenlandic guidelines.

.222Rem is the smallest caliber allowed for Deer-hunting and reindeer-hunting.
    There are hunters who actually use either a .22LR rifle with CCI Stinger or Mini-Mag or uses a .22Mag-rifle with CCI Maxi-Mag for Reindeer-hunting - it has worked well, but shot-placement is critical.

You'd have no trouble with hunting Deer with a .223Rem within a certain distance. I'd say 150-200 yards max, to be on the safe side - some might say more or less.
    It's powerfull enough for even big animals - but the smaller/less powerfull round you use, the more important is the shot placement.

polarbear.gif
    Don't do anything that I've allready done - That'd be just plain STOOOOOOPID.
    04250.gif
  • dakotashooter2dakotashooter2 Member Posts: 6,186
    edited November -1
    It is legal in this state and apparently a favorite of those in the military service. You can hear those 3 shot bursts on a fairly regular basis during the deer season.
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I like to hunt deer with my switchblade...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • buddybbuddyb Member Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken several deer with a 223.I use hand loads with 55 grain Sierra Game Master bullets.If you put the bullet where it should go you will get your deer.I may have been lucky,but most have dropped in their tracks and the furthest one has gone was about 20 yards.
  • HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have taken several deer with .222 .223 22-250 220 swift, with a good bullet and proper shot placement they're just as dead as with an '06.
  • gun_runnergun_runner Member Posts: 8,999
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mateomasfeo

I like to hunt deer with my switchblade...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
    I like to hunt with a sling blade, some call it a kieser blade. mmmm hmmmm

Larry
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can you use it Yes if it is legal caliber in your area would you want to use it? Would certainly decress your chances of just injuing a deer in less you hit it center mass and or in the head the larger the caliber you use the more you can afford to miss by beasue the physical damage is greater with a .223 I would say you would have to hit the heart, lung, or brain as say a .270 you could miss the herat and lung but still create abig enough wound channel to do damage.

I

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Legal in KY and I as well as my teenage daughter have taken several with 223. Neck shot or heart/lung shot brings them down. Farthest any have gone after being shot with 223 is 25 or so yards! Placement is the key. Here in KY we can use any CENTERFIRE round on deer and any caliber of muzzleloader. My daughter uses a 32 cal. BP rifle during BP season with excellent results. She has a 22 BP but I have drawn the line as to not using it. I do not believe 20 grains of powder is enough! My modern gun of choice on deer is 270 but as I stated, I have used my 223 a good bit as well.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."