In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Homosexual marriage??

Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
edited March 2004 in General Discussion
Without comment on my feelings on this issue, the following question crossed my mind: Since in San Francisco, same sex marriage is being performed by the mayor, what happens when it's time for the inevitable divorce? California law does not recognize same-sex marriage and only judges can decree any sort of dissolution there. It being a non-legally-recognized union, how can there be a divorce??

How will this play out??

God Bless America and...
NEVER Forget WACO
NEVER, EVER Forget 911

Comments

• select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just sit tight. By Fall of this year there will be a new TV show:
    When things got out of hand..
  • NighthawkNighthawk Member Posts: 12,022 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife and I were talking about how thats going to go over with the IRS?They will be fileing as Married?

Rugster

"Toujours Pret"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Rugster, there you go.. if the Federal government doesn't recognize the marriage, they broke the tax law. Then they could go to jail.. Hummm somewhere I heard or read that alot of prisoners are homosexuals.
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    It'll be a little bit of Heanen for them.

OOps - not PC.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    There is no way to file a joint return because a number of gay couples have tried this over the years and their returns get kicked out very quickly. One gay man even won a small judgement against the IRS when his supposed joint return was sent back with a hand written note from the tax examiner stating that the Federal Government does not recognize a marriage between two fa-g-ts! Can you imagine the turmoil if the same examiner wrote back to a black couple and used the N-word? It would cost millions. I see a lot of married filing seperately returns going in next year from San Francisco. This would be an excellent excuse to ammend the tax laws so that everyone pays the same rate regardless of their marital status.

Mark T. Christian
  • robomanroboman Member Posts: 6,436
    edited November -1
    I'm writing a paper on the topic for english. I'll let you know what I got on it.

signew.JPG

"The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long..."
  • DancesWithSheepDancesWithSheep Member Posts: 12,938 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So if a bisexual took both a husband and a wife would he/she be a bigamist?
  • ElMuertoMonkeyElMuertoMonkey Member Posts: 12,898
    edited November -1
    Another question: who takes who's last name? Do they hyphenate them? Keep their "maiden" names? Or do they flip a coin?
    edited November -1
    Lots of interesting thoughts here.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    They can go thru the motions of marriage, say they are married, act like they are married, but they aren't!
    It isn't natural, moral, or ethical and therefore is not recognised in my opinion and makes a mockery of the whole sacrid union.
  • chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    AH, BULL SH**[V][V][V][V][V][V][V][V]
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SO what is so wrong with two people of the same sex being able to get married?

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWIW, while Texas doesn't recognize gay marriages/civil unions (they have a specific section of the code stating they don't recognize them), there was a judge somewhere (IIRC) in the Houston area that recognized a divorce of a gay couple that were married somewhere else. We're talking about it in Family Law class, but have discussed the details yet.
  • bartobarto Member Posts: 4,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    In my not-so-humble-opinion it should be referred to as a UNION(as in coupling, stirring, anything but mating, which would result in children) & quit calling it a marriage.
    At least a FEW things should be left sacred.
    [:(!][:(!]barto

Win some, lose some.
    Winning's better.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Palimony?..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    Interesting thought. Since Alabama is one of the few states that recognises common law marriage, I wonder why no queers have claimed common law marriage?

Some say the government can't make an amendment prohibiting it. Since marriage is largely a CIVIL union now, moreso than a religious one, I submit that the federal government does have a compelling reason to become involved.

I agree with the idea it is not natural. I don't put much stock in the morality because that aspect is man made as are the benefits of the union.

While cleaning the legal house over the definition of marriage, maybe some of these goofy states that let people marry cars and cattle can revise their laws.

Just some random thoughts.
  • Red223Red223 Member Posts: 7,946
    edited November -1
    I despise gays with a passion, yet....

Marriage is a religious act. Our Government has no power to stop a religious act.

Separation of church and State.

Atleast they have the Pink Pistols that have supported Second Amendment cases with briefs for the judges.

kabalogoshadowed.gif
  • Chaser11Chaser11 Member Posts: 251 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    [xx(] My question is where do it stop??? [xx(]If they are allowed civil unions / partnerships etc. then the employer of ? one of them who pays for family health care will have to foot the increased costs (passed on to the rest of us) the next step is If a Hetro has a live in partner,he/she is going to sue for the same rights...(I mean if Joe can have ins. paid for his Johnny why can't Charlie get it paid for his live in Sally) If you follow where this is gonna lead,higher health care cost for all employers = increased cost to consumers.i'm not going to enter into my thoughts on the matter, just thought I'd shed a little light on the can of worms being opened.[xx(] [:(] [V]

American used to Roar like Lions for Liberty- Now they Bleat like Sheep for Security.
    Always Remember Security without Liberty is called PRISON! -
  • 2gun2gun Member Posts: 318 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what about social security survivor benefits?family medical leave act, remember tey are trying to get unemployment benefits to cover that. how the new definitions of family health plans that are bound to show up with helh insurance.

as far as i'm concerned the cat is out of the bag and the govt should just abolish the iem known as marriage and create a legal state of tenancy in common with joint properties including minors. let religions deal with sanctifying marriage and we wont have such a mess.

i am not in favor of a definition of marriage amendment. the constitution is for important things like establising liberty, search and seizure, etc. to tell me that marriage is between a man and a woman is so trivial as to be meaningless. while were at it we may as well make an amendment that says school is for learning (not condom distribution). now i realize that homosexuals want the benefits of marriage,thats fine, i wish them good luck with the bills and divorce and all the other fun stuff but for this reason i recommend the govt get out of sanctifying marriage.let it be a legal state with benefits and responsibilities that the govt can only define as a joint tenancy however many people choose to join as shareholders(or whatever)and can only leave through dissolution of the courts. when it comes to religious sanctity let religion be seperated from the state here and have the religious marriage as something that people that want to be sanctified in union under god choose to do with no state relevence whatsoever.

this weekend is the jewish story of purim and after king ahashereus wakes from his drunken stupor after ordering his queen strung up for her insolence. he sends out a message to all the nations under his rules " let the man be the ruler in his house and the women should obey and speak the langauge of the husand". this sets the stage for the whole story of purim because afer an order like that from the king to a male dominated society he is likely to order anything from the anhiliation of the entire race of jews to rescinding the same order a few months later.

our constitution, the root of american society should be reflecting the important things of american society not the dumbest parts.

happiness is a warm gun, preferably preban
    edited November -1
    Seems like this could lead to legalization of polygamous marriage, incestuous marraige, marraige to and between animals. Maybe David Koresh was ahead of his time???

Boundaries HAVE been set by societies ever since ther were societies. Should we drop them all??

I guess anarchy would be OK - I'VE got guns!

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • chollagardenschollagardens Member Posts: 4,614 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    One consideration no one mentioned. If gay marrages become legal I wonder how many gay couples would open foster care facilities or adopt.
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    And just what would be wrong with that?..

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • JgreenJgreen Member Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most states will recognize a marriage that was legal in the state of marriage. Therefore, if the marriage is "legal", the divorce will proceed like any other divorce. If the marriage is not legal, then it will simply be a suit in equity to divide assets/obligations.

BTW, what's so wrong with gay marriage? It would help the economy, no one is getting any more rights than anyone else, and if you really don't like homosexuals for whatever reason, it would encourage monogamy, which would cut down on the spread of disease.

How sacred is marriage anyway? If the man upstairs has a problem with homosexuals marrying or the concept of divorce, I'm sure he is capable of handling the problem.
    edited November -1
    I think there is a certain Biblical justice in HIV/AIDS.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • 2 gun2 gun Member Posts: 377 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:2gun Posted - 03/01/2004 : 11:15:02 AM

Hey 2 gun nice name[8D] Will the real 2 gun please stand up.

I don't mind kinda flattered.

IT "S better to die by fire then serve by force

It's not gun control. It's personal defense elimination. They only want to control ours.
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Originally posted by Doug Wilson
    I think there is a certain Biblical justice in HIV/AIDS.

YA because only gay people get HIV/AIDS?????

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE
  • daddodaddo Member Posts: 3,408
    edited November -1
    I don't know about anywhere else, but to get married around here, you have to go to a JP or to a church to tie the knot in the eyes of God and I don't think God goes for man/man or women/women marriage. To ask God to bless such a thing is WRONG! God condems same sex unions because he condems the act of same sex sex. If these folks want to marry, they must do it without God in the equation.
  • mpolansmpolans Member Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    So are saying that atheists cannot ever get (and have never been) married?

quote:Originally posted by daddo
    I don't know about anywhere else, but to get married around here, you have to go to a JP or to a church to tie the knot in the eyes of God and I don't think God goes for man/man or women/women marriage. To ask God to bless such a thing is WRONG! God condems same sex unions because he condems the act of same sex sex. If these folks want to marry, they must do it without God in the equation.
  • BullzeyeBullzeye Member Posts: 3,560
    edited November -1
    http://www.tshirthell.com/shirts/tshirt.php?sku=a286

"If I could have gotten 51 votes in the Senate for an outright ban, picking up all of them, "Mr. and Mrs. America, turn them all in," I would have." -Sen. Dianne Feinstein

feinstein2.bmp
  • salzosalzo Member Posts: 6,396 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jgreen

BTW, what's so wrong with gay marriage? ...., and if you really don't like homosexuals for whatever reason, it would encourage monogamy, which would cut down on the spread of disease.

That is ridiculous. A homo getting married to another homo does not encourage "monogamy".

"Waiting tables is what you know, making cheese is what I know-lets stick with what we know!"
    -Jimmy the cheese man
  • BlackieBoogerBlackieBooger Member Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My opinion is that same-sex marriage would have a severe long range adverse effect on our society. The people and politicians better start putting a stop to all this "crap" such as same-sex marriage and maintain the traditions and principles that our forefathers started which made us a great nation. We as a nation need to get back to some our basic morality and principles that brought us this far.

"Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, not liberty to purchase power."
    Benjamin Franklin, 1785
    123div.gif