In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Any LEO that is a member of the NRA- Please read

11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
edited August 2015 in General Discussion
If you are a law enforcement officer, and belong to the NRA- please make sure that your family and/or a trusted supervisor KNOWS that.

Many of us forget that (a) there is an NRA Scholarship that will provide up to $2,500 per semester to a child of a member LEO that dies in the line of duty, and (b) will provide a death benefit of $35,000 to the heirs of a member LEO that dies in the line of duty.

YOU may know it- but does your family? By the way, that is ANY line of duty death, not just shot. A while ago we lost one of ours- traffic accident. A few days after funeral I talked with his Cpt, asked if anyone had checked on membership- he looked at me, stunned, said "Crap! No, we haven't- and I KNEW about that!" His widow got $35,000 that will help care for his kids.

And let's be careful out there.

Comments

• Options
    OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Yes leo members, please for Gods sake, be vigilant. We would hate to see any of you guys become a statistic. I know, no one has to remind you guys, but we care . Oakie
  • Options
    shilowarshilowar Member Posts: 38,815 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife will be doing quite well if I get wacked on the job. One of the local car dealerships have given the widows of the last few officers killed a free car.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I really hate this subject ---- because it is always a tragedy when someone who is just doing his job gets killed.

But, I have mixed feelings about "payouts for tragedy". 16 employees of my agency were killed in the Murrah Office Building bombing in 1995, & their payout was ---- nothing (except what they had paid for on their own). OTOH, the families of every civilian killed in the 9/11 attacks got multimillion dollar payouts FROM US TAXPAYERS.

It just seems unfair to me that a 1st responder who is putting his life on the line rates a few thousand dollars to his family, but a stock broker pulling down $1 million dollars a year rates a multimillion dollar payout.

Neal
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nmyers
    I really hate this subject ---- because it is always a tragedy when someone who is just doing his job gets killed.

But, I have mixed feelings about "payouts for tragedy". 16 employees of my agency were killed in the Murrah Office Building bombing in 1995, & their payout was ---- nothing (except what they had paid for on their own). OTOH, the families of every civilian killed in the 9/11 attacks got multimillion dollar payouts FROM US TAXPAYERS.

It just seems unfair to me that a 1st responder who is putting his life on the line rates a few thousand dollars to his family, but a stock broker pulling down $1 million dollars a year rates a multimillion dollar payout.

Neal

Don't forget the black families that received immediate multi million dollar pay outs for the murders at the N Charleston church. An event that had nothing to do with any government employment or government property. explain that one....
  • Options
    bigcitybillbigcitybill Member Posts: 4,894 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

Don't forget the black families that received immediate multi million dollar pay outs for the murders at the N Charleston church. An event that had nothing to do with any government employment or government property. explain that one....

That is not true.
  • Options
    96harley96harley Member Posts: 3,992 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the reminder. With a little over a year to go, I am reminded of that daily.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bigcitybill
    quote:Originally posted by shilowar

That is not true.

http://www.newsweek.com/us-fast-track-29-million-help-charleston-shooting-victims-families-345246

http://www.newsmax.com/Newsfront/29-million-Charleston-payout-sandy-hook/2015/07/01/id/653062/
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Show me where it is stated that any money was given directly to the families.

Sending money "to South Carolina to help the families" is not the same as "giving money to the families".
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Show me where it is stated that any money was given directly to the families.

Sending money "to South Carolina to help the families" is not the same as "giving money to the families".

"giving the families of those slain millions more in potential assistance than victims from Sandy Hook, Boston, and other mass murders."

That's good enough for me, they don't deserve a dime from the US Taxpayer, whether it is given in the form of payment or "assistance". It is benefit that no other victims of crime in the country receive.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not saying I favor government payouts,
    only that the families didn't get rich on the deal.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I'm not saying I favor government payouts,
    only that the families didn't get rich on the deal.

You have no idea if they got rich or not, they're receiving millions in benefits and so is their church. Somehow its become the Feds respons9ibility to renovate that church
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Nor do you, sir.