In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Hunting in Alaska?

PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
edited July 2005 in General Discussion
So if I wanted to hunt in Alaska, but I was going to drive... How does one go about getting fireamrs from US to alaska. Will the canadians allow us to transport our guns as long as we declare them? How does that work?

00023904.jpg
"Gunner sabot tank! Identify! UP! Fire! ON THE WAY!!" <<boom>>

"It's all about shot placement..."
awcountdown_sm.gif

Comments

• Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    gogolengogolen Member Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Forget aboot taking a handgun eh' hoser
  • Options
    Fep1990Fep1990 Member Posts: 632 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe that you can ship your gun to the local post office where you wll be. Adress it to yourself and general delivery. Then pick it up yourself.

vipersig.jpg
  • Options
    The TinmanThe Tinman Member Posts: 928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Baloney, you can transport most handguns through Canada by following these guidelines:

TRANSPORTATION OF RESTRICTED FIREARMS
    An individual may transport a restricted firearm only if
    (a) it is unloaded;
    (b) it is rendered inoperable by means of a secure locking device;
    (c) it is in a locked container that is made of an opaque material and is of such strength, construction and nature that it cannot readily be broken open or into or accidentally opened during transportation; and
    (d) if it is in a container described in paragraph (c) that is in an unattended vehicle,
    (i) when the vehicle is equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the container is in that trunk or compartment and the trunk or compartment is securely locked, and
    (ii) when the vehicle is not equipped with a trunk or similar compartment that can be securely locked, the vehicle, or the part of the vehicle that contains the container, is securely locked and the container is not visible from outside the vehicle.
  • Options
    bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,664 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    you can't take a hand gun into Canada. You need a permit and pay up to 50 bucks to transport longguns or rifles through Canada. Ship it to your guide or Boondocks in Eagle River AK. Its a 20 minute drive from the Anchorage airport and you can trust them.
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Long rifles easy. Bows easier. Handguns -- you are going to be at the Border a LONG time and then you are going to get strip searched for the burly border guard's entertainment and then maybe a few days in detention. Well maybe not that bad. But don't take a handgun across the border and try not to have any pistol ammunition with you.

My friend is one... who takes me for what I am.
    Henry David Thoreau

"If you do not allow yourself to find a positive way to get through the difficult times, you will become bitter. If you stay bitter, you do not get better." -- Joan Brock