In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Gun Safe

mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I am looking for a gun safe. most of the 14 gun safes look big enough and i would like a fire proof safe but i only want to spend between 5-600 bucks. I have found some stack-ons but im concerned about their quality..liberty safes are nice but too expensive..any reccomendations? also where can i go to look/buy on-line? down here we got bass-pro and dicks sports and ive browesed cabelas as well any help is appreciated

SUBMARINE SAILOR,TRUCK DRIVER,RUSTY WALLACE FAN AND AS EVERYONE SO OFTEN POINTS OUT PISS POOR TYPIST e-mail alisonandwalt@charter.net

Comments

• mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    Hi all. I am a new gun owner and need to buy a safe. I currently only have 2 guns, a handgun and a shotgun. I'll be getting a few more in the next year or so. I would like to keep the price under 800.00, delivered. I live in MD. Does anyone have any suggestions on something solid and reliable? Right now I'm thinking AMSEC safes look very good, Liberty looks good as well. I've read that Gardall and Sentry are basically trash, as well as Redhead at Bass Pro. Thanks for the help and advice!
    edited November -1
    I am looking at getting a new gun safe. I found a sentry 24 rifle safe for $850 out the door. What do you guys/gals recommend?
    edited November -1
    I live in Michigan and wonder if I let my Gun Safe in the Garage with no heat all winter will my firearms be ok with a good oil job on them?
    edited November -1
    Dunhams had gun safe on sale.
    American Eagle by Cannon Safe
    30"x60"x24" orig. 999.00 for 599.99
    Has the electronic lock.
    How good are these locks? Are they worry free? Anyone have trouble with them?
    Thanks for the help.

Jim
    edited November -1
    I have a very large AMSEC safe that I am interested in selling. Can I sell that here? It would have to be to someone local to me because it is bolted to concrete. Or, any advice on somewhere else that I can sell this? Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.
    edited November -1
    Have a cannon safe turned it on left side to move heard clunk dial turns handle no move help!!!

K&J

Life is hard,even harder when you are stupid.
    edited November -1
    I saw this and thought that with a little interior changes it would make a excellent gun safe cheap. It weighs allmost 4000 lbs. and is made better than most standard gun safes. Its in fla. I have nothing to do with the aucton, I just saw it and thought if somebody was looking for the extreme gun safe, here it is.
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180227797537
    edited November -1
    Who makes the most securest and the best fire tested safe?
    pentagone came in with good talk,but no good feed back on this forum. Liberty seems to have a good feed back on this forum.
    Thanks
    edited November -1
    What is the best method of keeping my Cannon gun safe as dry as possible ? A dehumidifier rod, silica gel canister, or both ? How about a 25w or 40w light fixture ?
    Thanks for any advice.
    Koolkoins
    edited November -1
    Anyplace running a good deal on gunsafes that you guys have seen?

I am looking for a larger safe for storage of mostly handguns, ammo, and accessories. Not a real small handgun specific safe, but something with a lot of shelves for handguns and "stuff" rather then room for mostly rifles. Something that maybe would hold a few rifles would be fine. Definitely not looking to break the bank.

The local Menard's store had a really nice $750 safe on sale for $350 on Black Friday. I don't do the whole crazy shopping thing, but I kind of wish I would have for that deal.

Jon
    edited November -1
    Well I've been looking and getting frustrated so I figure I would ask yall. I've been looking around for a decent yet cheap gun safe. I'm on a very limited budget right now (paying off a 1100) and want something under $200. I need a gunsafe that locks up nice that can hold atleast 6 rifles, and maybe a couple hanguns. Right now I've got my rifles on a rack and the handguns in cases in the closet and I need something more secure. I remember seeing snap-on gun safes at walmart for about $80 a while back, but don't see them anymore. I would like to be able to go pick it up since shipping on one of these would be ridiculously expensive. Ya'll got any ideas or should I just build a gun cabinet and put a pad lock on it like I was thinking?
    edited November -1
    What are some of your opions on the 2 safes that I'm trying to decide on, looking to hold valueables and 30 - 40 guns...

1. Pentagone Gun Safe

2. Fort knox

Now they tell me that fort knox gets their steel from china????
    not sure???

Any help would be greatly appeercieated...
    edited November -1
    I have been looking at 2 local stores that have the Stack-on 24 gun convertable safes for sale. One of the stores has their's on sale for $499 right now. It is the safe that holds 24 guns, 12 guns with the other half being shelves, or all shelves. It has an electric combination with key backup. If I can find a pic I will post it, but my questions is....Anybody know of somewhere online or close to Eau Claire, WI where I can get this cheaper shipped?

Here is a link to the safe I am looking at:

http://www.farmandfleet.com/products/680719-matte_black_24_gun_e_lock_safe.html

Otherwise, here is another I have been looking at:

http://www.menards.com/main/safes/pistols-up-to-14/stack-on-elite-executive-fire-safe-with-combination-lock/p-1720282-c-6979.htm

Jon
    edited November -1
    Zip-a-dee-do-da!

Just got a call from the installation folks! My new safe is on its way!

I had long outgrown my other one and was seriously risking a loss. This bad boy is pretty big. 42x27.5x72. Has the light kit dehumidifier bar, and the holster door set-up.

Now, I have a goal. Fill it up!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    Great news!!! what kind did you get?

I got another one last year loaded with all the bells and whistles and absolutely love it.

http://www.smithsecuritysafes.com/pages/oakplus.html

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    Liberty Safe, Lincoln Model in Gloss Black. 1200 deg. for 60 minutes. 10 gauge, bolts on 4 sides.

The way the thing looked in the showroom, the kids just got another heirloom...

Looks like you got yourself a nice rig also! I thought mine was huge! Yours could be sublet to the neighbors!

Any words of wisdom you wish to impart so I might be spared the mistakes of the un-informed?

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• wizard78wizard78 Member Posts: 3,144
    edited November -1
    Good going. Sounds like a good one. How come you got such a small one though? [8D]

Steve

ag00612_.gifsun_setting.gif
    Fight Crime, Shoot First
    edited November -1
    I looked at Liberty when I got that last one and I really liked them and the Fort Knox ones to.
    I bought the Smith because the guy was in Ohio and only a 4 hours drive from me, plus I liked it of course.[:D]

You said it, they are defiantely heirlooms. People comment on my safes more than my house.[:0]

words of wisdom......Have plenty of friends over when it's delivered. I had six people helping me, all men and we could of used another two or three. I run my dehumidifier bar and light 24/7 and haven't had a bulb burn out yet, the one is going on 4 years old.

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
    edited November -1
    They are professionally installing it this afternoon. Bolting it to the floor, etc. I don't have to provide anything but the money.

The light kit features a light that turns on when you open the door. I plan on leaving the dehumidifier bar on all the time.

I tried looking at all the different brands, but frankly had a hard time comparing. I made an educated guess, and figured after a certain point it was overkill. Like you, it boiled down to who was the nearest and would install it.

When I build my next house I plan to purchase a safe door and make a walk in vault! [}:)]

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

edited November -1
    I looked into adding onto my house and extending a gun room out underneath the back and having a safe door installed. I would absolutely love having that, but I got way to overboard and it ended up being close to 10K so I shyed away from that idea for now.[:)]

I started a spread sheet and listed out specs on each model when I was looking at buying my last one. The Fort Knox was superior to all the others, but it also had an extra $900 to. More or less most were relatively the same. One thing I took into account was the average temperature of a house fire. I forget the exact temperature, but there wasn't a safe on the market that would hold up to a complete house fire for the length of time it took for a house to burn down. Kinda sad huh

edited November -1
    Ya still gotta get the insurance!!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

edited November -1
    right you are

• dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The only safe I have is my german shepard.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    quote:The only safe I have is my german shepard.

DCON, my brother!

Is that your seeing eye dog?

[:D][:D]

Just kiddin'! Now don't go and get all emotional on me...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• woodsrunnerwoodsrunner Member Posts: 5,378 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Now, I have a goal. Fill it up!!

Don't worry it will fill up faster than you want. Gun collections are like goldfish, they grow to fit the container they are in, then they grow just enough more so a new container is needed.

Woods

Hamlin.gif

rockin_lg_clr.gif
  • dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 32,003 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Maty, He never goes for the eyes!!!![}:)]

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
    edited November -1
    quote:Don't worry it will fill up faster than you want. Gun collections are like goldfish, they grow to fit the container they are in, then they grow just enough more so a new container is needed.

WOODS

I like the sound of that. Sounds promising!

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

edited November -1
    dcon12 would it be double safe to put a dog in my safe?[:p]

I have a chocolate lab and a rottweiler out of those I feel safer having my guns in a safe.

• deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gun safe? I got an old refridgorator with some good Medco locks and hasps out 50 bucks[:D] Very strong set up and i can keep sandwiches
    it there too[;)]

use_deer.jpg
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    quote:Advanced Member

USA
    3235 Posts
    Posted - 02/21/2004 : 4:50:55 PM

quote:
    Now, I have a goal. Fill it up!!

Don't worry it will fill up faster than you want. Gun collections are like goldfish, they grow to fit the container they are in, then they grow just enough more so a new container is needed.

Woods

You would be surprised how many people don't think to bolt the safe down in place. Trust me when I say that one man with minimum equipment can move a 1000#+ safe with no problem. What I used to tell people on size was to figure what size for number of guns they will have in 10 years.....then double it. I should have bought the Vault door to start with but was voted down by Swwbo.

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
    edited November -1
    Mine is full!!! Hey Ma can I get another one???[:D]

pa.gif

Rixford.gif

Kids that fish, hunt and trap have never mugged any old ladies!

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
    This was the Ancient law of Youth
    Old times are past, old times are done:
    But the Law runs true, O little son!
  • The LawThe Law Member Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:then they grow just enough more so a new container is needed

Yup! and dat's a fact!...[:p]

"Don't mistake my honesty for weakness...
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Make sure your floor framing can handle the weight. I had to go under a house and jack it up and stiffen the joists and add a poured footer to keep the safe from coming through this guys floor. Would have been a lot easier for me and cheaper for him to have done it before he put the safe in and it sank down.

040103cowboy_shooting_one_gun_md_clr_prv.gifBig Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • jsergovicjsergovic Member Posts: 5,526
    edited November -1
    i have a Liberty. Good safe, good value.
    edited November -1
    quote:Make sure your floor framing can handle the weight. I had to go under a house and jack it up and stiffen the joists and add a poured footer to keep the safe from coming through this guys floor. Would have been a lot easier for me and cheaper for him to have done it before he put the safe in and it sank down.

I heard that...it's an old building, built in 1894. All wooden floors on pier and beam. It's a very well build place, but I'm

Keeping my fingers crossed...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

• plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    We use a Liberty "gun" safe at the office to keep original documents and sensitive material. We get more comments on the safe than our art work. Although the new gun rack I had built gets lots of comments these days. I hope to post a picture when I figure out how to do it!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson