In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Pheasant recipes...

Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2004 in General Discussion
Need a recipe or four for pheasant...nothing that would require a course at the Cordon Bleu School...but tasty nonetheless. Was going to do two of them today, but realized I don't have an idea of how to REALLY prepare them. Well..I have ideas, just don't know if they would work out, and would hate to ruin these fine birds.

Thanks in advance...

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson

Comments

• Options
    SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    this is the one I like, I got it last year from the SD state website and it's still there along with a bunch more. Not to heathly, but it's good. Hope you cleaned your birds right away, they're normally better that way.

Deep Fat Fried Pheasant

1 young pheasant, cut in pieces
    1/4 c. coating mixture*
    milk or buttermilk
    cooking fat

Cut meat from each side of keel or breast bone with a sharp knife, making 2 breast pieces. Marinate pheasant pieces in milk or buttermilk 1 to 2 hours in the refrigerator, or dip in milk. Dredge pieces in de-sired coating.* Dry on rack approximately one-half hour. Transfer a few coated pieces at a time to deep fat frying basket and lower into heated fat (350-360 F). Use 2 inches or more of heated fat. Remove pieces when golden brown (3-5 minutes). Serve immediate-ly, or if you are preparing a large quantity of pheasant, keel) already fried pieces hot in a single layer in a flat casserole in a 300 F oven.

*Coating mixtures:
    (1) Mix:
    1/4 c. flour
    1 tsp. paprika
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/8 tsp. pepper

(2) 1/4 c. pancake mix
    1/4 tsp. salt

(3) Mix:
    1/4 C- flour
    1/4 tsp. salt
    1/4 tsp. pepper
    1/16 tsp. oregano
    1/16 tsp. basil

(4) Combine ingredients and beat with a rotary beater until batter is smooth.
    1 egg, beaten slightly
    1/2 c. milk
    1/2 c. flour
    1/2 to 1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
    1/8 tsp. allspice
    1/4 tsp. salt
    !/8 tsp. pepper

NRA Life Member ---"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Options
    ameriskinameriskin Member Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i wish i had the recipe for this wild rice pheasant stew that a buddy of mine used to make, it was really thick with rice, and it had roasted pheasant and carrots and celery. i know it wasn't real complicated because he would make it out at the hunting camp. i just wish i could remember how he seasoned it.

cody
  • Options
    Salvage33Salvage33 Member Posts: 1,182 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks guys...was planning on browning them in butter, pieces of garlic in breast meat, then dumping them in a crock pot with some water, potatoes, onion, carrots, and celery and seasoning with some poultry seasoning, black pepper, basil, and thyme, and letting them simmer for four or five hours and serving with some boiled okra in a butter and tabasco sauce.

I will check out the SD website (I have it bookmarked) and see what they have there.

John

The original point and click interface was made by Smith & Wesson
  • Options
    HUNT WALKERSHUNT WALKERS Member Posts: 362 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you like salsa, try this. It's simple.

Place the pheasant breast halves in a cake pan

smother with your favorite salsa

bake for one hour at 350 degrees

DIG IN!!! Minute Rice goes really good with this also

This recipe is excellent with deer steak also
  • Options
    gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    Remove the skin. Half the bird. Mix cracker crumbs, Parmasian cheese, Garlic powder, Garlic peper and Garlic salt. Rub the two halves with soft butter. Mix the crumbs Parmasian and Garlic mix together. Spread the mix over the Pheasent. Bake at 350 degrees for aprox. 45 minutes. Cover loosly with foil to avoid it drying out. Serve with acorn squash mixed with brown sugar and cinnamon and butter. Ummmmmmmmm [8D]

Greg
    Former Marine
    A N G L I C O
  • Options
    eastwood44mageastwood44mag Member Posts: 2,655 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slow cooker (mustn't say "crock pot" for fear of copyright infringement[}:)]). Throw in whatevery you like. After several hours, it may look awful, but it will taste fantastic.

I'm also partial to simmering it in a mixture of cream of mushroom and chicken broth, serve it over rice.

Either one makes for a good eatin[^]

O Lord,
    grant me the Serenity
    to accept the things
    I cannot change
    the courage to change the things I can,
    and the supreme firepower to make the difference.
  • Options
    cowdoccowdoc Member Posts: 5,847 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    John, what i do is just mix some seasoning salt with flour mix together an just bread the meat with that and pan fry like chicken. will be on the dry side but taste good. sorry i dont have a mixture ratio with the salt and flour i just wing it.
    pancake mix also works
    also make up a big batch of mashed potatoes and make some white flour gravy......dang my mouth is watering now [:D]
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    My favorite is a little like this:

Baking pan, buttered.
    Pheasant brests fillets place in bottom and seasoned with salt and pepper.
    Sprinkle rice (about a 1/2 - to 1 cup depending on the size of the pan
    cream of mushroom (or cellery, or asparagus, or what ever) mixed with milk and dumped on top
    cut up pieces of carrots, cellery, onion or whatever and place on top
    bake in open oven at 325 until the rice soaks up all the soup and gets done.

Yum yum yum. I would tell you exactly how to make it but then I would have to stop you.[;)]

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."
    ~Abraham Lincoln