In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Don't let the world pass you by!!!

paboogerpabooger Member Posts: 13,953
edited January 2004 in General Discussion
Saxon's post has got me thinking! Now Im not the sharpest crayon in the box, but I have made my mistakes and I do try to learn from them!
Here is my opinion on the money issue take it for what it is worth!

Ma and I both work in a knife factory, for this area we make good money! We both take home around $36,000 a year. Now that may not seem like much, but you have to consider the area we live in! We live in a rural area, where you can still buy land for $500 an acre, you can buy a damm nice home for $40,000! Taxes around here are low! I think we pay around $900 total for all our taxes, school, local , and property! Town water is all you can use for $15 a month, sewage is $35, and garbage is $8.

I have friends that live in more populated areas, that make alot more money, they live in a similar house and paid three times what I paid for mine! They do not live any more extravigant than we do!

As I get older, it is nice to have money! But you know what the times I remember the most were the hard times, we didn't have as much but what we did have, met more! 20 years ago I thought I was going through hell, and I wanted more! There were problems and stress, but as I look back these were some of the best times of my life!

People! Some times we get so wrapped up in what we want, and what we think we need, that we let the really good things that we already have slip by till there gone!

I would give all the Money in the world to still be able to go hunting and fishing with my father, or to be able to pick up the phone and hear my Mother's voice again! Stop and enjoy what you have before the world passes you by!!

paboogerani3.gif

LIFES MOSTLY SCARS AND SOUVENIRS - Max Stalling

To Ride, shoot straight,and speak the truth
This was the Ancient law of Youth
Old times are past, old times are done:
But the Law runs true, O little son!

Comments

• Options
    n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the input! Money is definitely not everything.[:)]

Eric

All American Arms Company

Veteran Owned and Operated
  • Options
    robjacksrobjacks Member Posts: 749 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    pabooger you couldnt of said it any better...[:D][:)]
  • Options
    chuckchuck Member Posts: 4,911
    edited November -1
    Money aint everything, But it sure makes everything Easer.
    No mone No Fun, your Son.
    To Bad so Sad, Your Dad.[:0][:0]
  • Options
    select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I built a nice home when younger. When we moved it was difficult to sell. Only a small percentage of the people can afford big houses. IT had big taxes ect. I learnt my lesson. I am not out to impress anyone in life. I don't drive brand new cars or trucks. Almost everything I have is mine not the banks. Pa , you posted a similar environment I live in, except the income.
  • Options
    longhunterlonghunter Member Posts: 3,242
    edited November -1
    Pa.........Nice post,and thank you! I too learned the lesson...The home we are buying is less than that....the income too!But the money isn't what its all about..
  • Options
    dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pabooger
    I would give all the Money in the world to still be able to go hunting and fishing with my father, or to be able to pick up the phone and hear my Mother's voice again! Stop and enjoy what you have before the world passes you by!!

Tim just laid some real knowledge on everyone. I hope it sunk in![;)]

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Options
    He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 50,958 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Lots of rich folks are out of money by pay day just like every one else. A big difference is that many or most of them have big debt. I am poor, but paid up and that will do.

Thanks Pa.[^]

My heros have always killed cowboys.
  • Options
    bambihunterbambihunter Member Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My wife says "for those that say money doesn't buy happiness, don't know where to shop" [8D]

I say: "money doesn't buy happiness but poverty doesn't buy anything". [:)]
    Fanatic collector of the 10mm auto.
  • Options
    Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Money doesnt buy happiness but if I had enough to buy a farm I would be the happiest man alive. I would cut off both my nads to have a farm of my own.

I found out that money doesnt really matter anymore. My wife has stood beside me thru some very rough times that woulda split up most couples. I have a wife that will always be there no matter what happens so in my mind I'm rich.

line.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • Options
    alledanalledan Member Posts: 19,541
    edited November -1
    Money doesn't buy happiness but it buys the things that do[:D]

Seriously tho- I would give all my money for just one working kidney.

cart205.gif

troop_blink3.gif
  • Options
    RosieRosie Member Posts: 14,525 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Saxon
    I am a firm believer in a person is what he made of his self and can't blame anyone else for anything they have become. I spent my life chasing the dollar and have a little money. Not rich just comfy. Guess what. I paid a price that I was too dumb to see until it was to late and that was the time I missed with my children. It was always "we will do it later" Late never came and now I lay in bed at night looking at their beautiful little faces and wishing for what can never be. If you are unhappy then light a fire under your butt and get moving! Above all if you have children don't lose sight of them for a moment because you can never regain it.
  • Options
    njretcopnjretcop Member Posts: 7,975
    edited November -1
    Pa,

Pretty profound remarks coming from a "ridge runner." (I'll never get used to your fancy name for a redneck, haha.)

vic.jpg

Charlie

"It's the stuff dreams are made of Angel"NRA Certified Firearms InstructorMember: GOA, RKBA, NJSPBA, NJ area rep for the 2ndAMPD. njretcop@copmail.com
  • Options
    ATFATF Member Posts: 11,683 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Great post Pa,I'm very Lucky to have everything that I need and more.I just wish my wife was still here to enjoy it with me.She's the only thing I'm missing and all the money in the world won't change that.
    [:(]

standard.jpg

Why is it that our children can't read a Bible in school, but they
    can in prison?

ATF,Eagle Guns
  • Options
    jjmitchell60jjmitchell60 Member Posts: 3,887
    edited November -1
    Pa, like you the area we live in has a fairly cheap cost of living, although real estate is sky rocketing. We have sunk all our spare earnings into 2 farms and our house. We have been offered jobs in other areas at 3 times what our income is here but the cost of living is higher, crime is greater, and not the kind of place to raise kids. Our kids have all that they need and some of what they do not but yet we still do not try to spoil them. Money might buy short term happiness but in the long term, happiness is what you make yourself happy with. If you like your job, where you live, and what you have or do not have then you have achieved happiness. If though you want more then maybe a higher paying job, more toys, and more stress is what makes you happy. Money may be some ones idea of happiness but then again I know a gentleman who lives in a little trailer all by himself, no high living expences, draws his Social Security, and hunts/fishes as he likes. He is happy. I reckon happiness is a state of mind.

"we are but men... no more, no less..."
  • Options
    ruger 10 22ruger 10 22 Member Posts: 286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Very good post pa, and good replies from everone else, you guys are right money does not buy happiness.

"The militia may be here destroyed by that method which has been practiced in other parts of the world before; that is, by rendering them useless - by disarming them."
  • Options
    timbromantimbroman Member Posts: 1,164
    edited November -1
    Sweet thoughts indeed PB...I think its mostly in how you were raised and when you can think that way about your Mom and Dad - I know I think about and miss mine every day - and have that kind of perspective about "things", I think you were raised right. It is unfortunate that lots of parenting and socializing skills are absent in too many lives today.

timbroman@aol.com
  • Options
    bigal125bigal125 Member Posts: 1,136 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While I agree with Pa and the others that say money can't buy happiness, I have to say ...I saw a bumper sticker several years ago that struck me really hard and I'd like to share it with y'all.

"Poverty is just another form of Slavery"

Now, mind you, I'm not talking 'bout folks that can't afford a new car this year or have run up their credit cards, etc. to the point where they are living BEYOND their means. They HAVE money, they're just don't know how to MANAGE their money.

No, the kind of poverty I'm talking about is MORE than just financial, it includes a lack of education, lack of good-paying jobs in your area, companies only hiring temp workers for what s/b full-time jobs...these and other situations that make difficult or impossible to earn enough to keep a roof over your head and food on the table.

I'll close with a quote from my old boss who retired recently and gave me the best advice that I never heeded:

"It's not how much you make in a year that's important, Al. It's how much you can hang on to!"

I'll get down from the soapbox now...

Big Al
  • Options
    BoltactionManBoltactionMan Member Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Amen Pa. I have been lucky enough to wake up in time, my Dad would take off a week during deer season to hunt with me and my friends. We have gotten to go to Colorado twice after elk, hoping for more trips in the future. I would give a lot of what few "things" I have to have been able to do those things with my Father-in-Law too. He would be having a great time about now.

Dad retired yesterday, starts 2004 a free man.

KC
  • Options
    dcon12dcon12 Member Posts: 31,950 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well said.

"Right is Right, even is everyone is against it, and wrong is wrong, even if everyone is for it"
  • Options
    sodbustersodbuster Member Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa,,somehow I feel that if you and Ma made a fraction of your current salary, you would still not let the world pass you by.
    One of the secrets to living well, as far as money goes, is to 'need less'.
    The 'money' part of your post is IMHO just a small part of us grasping as much of our lives as it passes us by.

Simple things, such as having lunch with friends and family are priceless. This is a time where we can share all that is good and not so good in our lives.
    My buddies and their wives have a small routine every Saturday. We meet down at the local cafe and eat the buffet and just share our experiences of the previous week.
    Along with that are stories of the good and bad times that we have shared in the past.
    I bet that there is always room at your and Ma's dining room table for a friend. I have a sneaking suspicion that stories abound and it's probably O.K. to talk with your mouth full, because quiet dinner tables aren't happy dinner tables.
    During this holiday season, we've seen many posts where something as simple as a child opening a present and time spent with all of our families are a priceless part of this world that we are grasping.

We proudly share pictures of our families because no amount of money could bring us the joy that our Wives, Husbands, Sons and Daughters bring us.
    Today I went shooting with two good friends. Sure the shooting was fun, but the time we spent talking, leaning up against the pickup bed after the guns were all packed up was the real enjoyment.

Every time we enjoy moments with those that are close to us, we are grabbing a piece of this world as it passes by.

This my friend is priceless!

,,,[:)]sod

cyclone.gifdemandbeeftag.jpg
  • Options
    SwwboSwwbo Member Posts: 1,255 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Pa hit the nail on the head..Wish my Mom was still around.. I would even let her cut my hair again. lol
  • Options
    k.stanonikk.stanonik Member Posts: 2,109 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have never been a person that is based on money, as long as the bills are paid and maybe a lil left over i am happy. I lost my job the end of october, still looking but havent found anything yet, workin part time in a gun store and unemployment makes things a lil rough but i am happy
  • Options
    plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Pa, you are welcome at my cabin anytime.

I still maintain that I was the happiest when I had a cane pole to fish with and a .22 to hunt with, even if it were tin cans.

I lost a great friend last year. Age 47, world famous, really, doctor who went all the way from little Old NoDak to John's Hopkin's along with television special appearances, radio talk shows, world jet hoping lecturer. He made more money in a year than most of us dream of making in a life time. I knew him well enough that if he could he would trade it all in for a few more years with his kids and wife.

Life in the fast lane is just that -- fast and stuck in a lane.

Saxon Pig, if you are following this thread, if I remember right you are a teacher at a college? It doesn't matter where or what level. Some of the most important people in my life have been teachers both in highschool and college. I have tried to go back and tell each one that was special to me and made a difference in my life that he or she help make me what I am. The riches we make are not money, but the positive things that we do to make the world a better place. No profession is better suited for that nor has a higher calling than that of a teacher. Stand tall and be proud. Those that flaunt that they have more money than you are not fit to wash your feet.