In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

WINCHESTER MODEL 63

pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
What's the verdict on the old model 63 Winchester 22 Semi-Auto? Any of you ol'timers have anything to say about them. Are they finike, easy to take down and clean, failure prone? I see Tarus has a copy out, and they sure feal good, and they are comming in .22 mag, could be a keeper. I can't find anyone that ever owned one, help me out here, boys.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI

Comments

• pack rat633pack rat633 Member Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Ive got a model 63 22 that I love to shoot squirels with but the bolt is worn out. [:(] The firing pin wore its way through top of the bolt And now misses the rim of the shell. I missed buying a used bolt complete on ebay tonight went for $36.00. I dont Know how much it had been shoot befor I got it Ive probly only put 5000 rounds through it Anybody ever seen this befor
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    friend of mine has one and he's a gunsmith. I picked it up the other nite and he told me all about it and he loves it!

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
  • crims40crims40 Member Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot one many years ago and it was great. I've always wanted one but it wasn't meant to be. I have a few Winchester pumps, but this is one that has eluded me....[V] I think Spiny owns one.....[?]
  • giantgiant Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My brother and I each have a winchester 63
    they are the finest auto 22 Ive ever shot.
    You have to use High velocity ammo for best cycling
    I have not shot a taraus.
    At 25 I guess Im not an old timer but I would recomend a 63

Don't die for your Country make your enemy die for his

Keep everything as simple as possible but no simpler
    edited November -1
    So come on Greeker, tell us all about it!! Was his a .22lr or .22 wrm? Can you mount a scope on it? Any weak areas?? Come on, enlighten us!!

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • greeker375greeker375 Member Posts: 3,644
    edited November -1
    The best I can tell you is that it was 100% original 22 LR. No scope or optics of any sort. Besides being NRA VG, that's about it. I've never shot his as I prefer my own 22, a Grade 1 Browning semi-auto my Dad gave me for Christmas in 1956. To me that's the sweetest 22 I've ever shot or will shoot. But, my buddy's M 63 is a well balanced, finely made shooter as well.
    If you have about $600-$800 for one you won't go wrong. From what I know about Taurus, they make a decent product. As for me, I'd sooner go with the real magila.

"the difference between the almost right word and the right word is like the difference between a lightning bug and a lightning bolt" - Mark Twain.
    edited November -1
    Thanks GREEKER. Ya, your'e right get the original if you can is good advice, the Tarus will never appreciate, but I want a shooter, and if I get one 60 or so years old, with no replacement parts, it could be a problem. I agree, they sure feal good in the hands and come up fast to the sholder. Thanks for the come-back.

SEMPER FI MAC, SEMPER FI
  • giantgiant Member Posts: 91 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I Just replaced the bolt and firing pin on my 63 all parts are available from NUMRICH
    Mine broke a firing pin and continued shooting broke a small area out of the top of the bolt.
    The winchester will go up in value I would get it
    I dont like the hump on the stock were the magazine tube goes on a taraus The stocks on the older winchesters are a much nicer shape

Don't die for your Country make your enemy die for his

Keep everything as simple as possible but no simpler
  • wundudneewundudnee Member Posts: 6,104 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I haven't tried the new repros, but here is an original. Top is a 61, center is a 62A, the bottom is the 63. It was made in 1953 and is in near new shape. It is factory drilled for a scope, without dovetails in the barrel. All 63s are not factory drilled. The last couple of years of production they were grooved for scopes. They are very pricey, because of collector interest. A very dependable semi auto that will probably out last all of us if taken care of. A good used shooter will bring $400.00+.

picture.JPG

Whenever I see a cow eat grass, I am reminded that "This too shall pass."............ Baxter Black
    standard.jpg
  • bigdaddyjuniorbigdaddyjunior Member Posts: 11,233
    edited November -1
    Man, now I gotta get another Winnie!!![:(!][;)][:D]

Big Daddy my heros have always been cowboys,they still are it seems
  • Horse Plains DrifterHorse Plains Drifter Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 39,869 ***** Forums Admin
    edited November -1
    I have one that was my dad's rifle. I think he got it in 1949. I have never seen it malfunction. It is one of the sweetest rifles I have ever shot. I have been considering getting another and have seen them go on GB for around $400.00.

Aberdeen.gif
    81st FA BN WWII...Thanks Dad
    U!S!A! ALL THE WAY!!
  • oldgunneroldgunner Member Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one of the older ones, made in 1941, but looks like it left the factory yesterday. At that time, there was no provision for a scope unless you wanted to drill it. I would rather use my drill press to pierce my eyeball for an ear ring..

There are no bad guns, only bad people.
  • Chevyman TxChevyman Tx Member Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    My dad has a model 63 and i love it. I used to hunt varmints with it when i was a teenager. I wish i had one just like it.

"Keep turnin to the RIGHT"