In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

something to think about if you haven't

Mike291Mike291 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
I imagine most folks on this forum have what would be fairly reliable handguns (although they may argue about WHAT exactly is reliable)

My first handgun was a Nickle plated S&W 559 9mm w/ 14 round clips (and later two 15 round clips). It was heavy, about 42 oz. and had a chipped rear site. (I brought it used from a LEO friend of mine) The biggest problem was it would jam about once every other magazine, and after a bit of use, on every magazine.

It was great though, eventually I could clear a stove pipe and continue firing so quickly it was like nothing happened. Between jams, and having only half a rear site (didn't use it much anyway), I still scored 93% on my first qualification shoot for my CCW license. (80% was passing)

While reading the March / April issue of Handgunner, I read an article by Clint Smith about doing malfunction drills ESPECIALLY if you have a good gun.

It dawned on me that ever since I got my Glock, which has NEVER jammed or malfunctioned for me, I haven't had to clear a stoppage and never though to practice it anymore. I wonder if I'd be as good at it as I once was.

Something to think about I guess..

Comments

• Mike291Mike291 Member Posts: 33 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Henry0Reilly

Funny thing - MY S&W 66-2 never gave me any problems either...

(alas, I traded it for my S&W 629)

You make an EXCELLENT point.
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When you shoot IPSC or IDPA they sometimes mandate a "jam" procedure somewhere in the stage, along with mandatory reloads in the middle of a mag.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • H.S. 10-XH.S. 10-X Member Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's why I like DA revolvers, just pull the trigger again, if there is a misfire.

10-X.jpg
    "If I claim to be a wise man, it surely means that I don't know"- Kansas
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    I have yet to find the malfunctioning handgun that couldn't be fixed. Unlike some who just pass them off at the next gun show, I fix them. After that, I still may trade or sell it, but I don't sell/trade bad guns. If I had one that I couldn't get repaired, I would sell it for parts.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • Special OperationsSpecial Operations Member Posts: 25 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Although not required by law, my CCW instructor required (ie. trained and scored) us to do numerous jam scenarios and other things while shooting for our 80% score and in order for him to sign off (it was not your average CCW course). His philosophy was if you didn't like it, take someone elses course, but it was that important to know! I was glad. I shot a 92% (275 out of 300) on a 60 round timed shoot...and actually had a REAL jam in addition to the instructor called jams (with mag change). I was pretty happy he drilled us as hard as he did on it. We also got drilled on some CQB tactics and left handed (or right if you were a leftie) as part of the score. It was tough, but well worth it. I think that should be taught more, maybe not required, but taught more as an option.
  • HighballHighball Member Posts: 15,755
    edited November -1
    quote:dheffley Posted - 02/01/2004 : 12:46:35 PM
    I have yet to find the malfunctioning handgun that couldn't be fixed. Unlike some who just pass them off at the next gun show, I fix them. After that, I still may trade or sell it, but I don't sell/trade bad guns. If I had one that I couldn't get repaired, I would sell it for parts.

That is called.."Ethics"...and alas,too few have them. The idea of trading off a mal-functioning gun SHOULD BE repugnant to any thinking gun-owner who values gun rights.

Congratulations on this stance,Dheff...
  • dheffleydheffley Member Posts: 25,000
    edited November -1
    Thanks Highball, but I couln't sleep at night if I sold a gun that I knew had problems. I can't imagine someone having to defend themselves with a gun that might jam, and I had the opportunity to keep it from happening. I don't see how anyone else could either.

How you doin'!wolf_evil_smile_md_wht.gif
  • nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,063 ******
    edited November -1
    The only clearance drill you need to know is this one:

Tap...Invert...Rack...Shoot.

Slap the floorplate to make sure the mag is seated. Invert the pistol. Rack the slide in the inverted position. This SHOULD effectively clear whatever the problem was. If it doesn't, draw your second, which is probably what you should have done anyway.

Our PD uses SIGArms pistols. They DON'T jam. In order to teach clearance drills, I have to set up malfunctions with dummy rounds.

SIG pistol armorer/FFL Dealer/Full time Peace Officer, Moderator of General Discussion Board on Gunbroker. Visit www.gunbroker.com the best gun auction site on the Net! Email davidnunn@texoma.net
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    dheffley,
    Glad to hear there are others out there.
    I took a 38 special to a potential customer a few weeks ago.
    He wanted to test it, so I said sure, I thought it was in good shape.
    The timing was off and it would not shoot two in a row.
    He still wanted to buy it, he begged me to sell it to him.
    He offered me more than I was asking for it.
    Guess who has the pistol.
    I put it in the bottom of the safe.
    I may get around to fixing it before I die.
    Then again, may not. [;)]

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The old 3-digit S&W semi-auto models did have some jamming problems, but the 4-digit models had them pretty well ironed out. If you keep shooting Glocks or SIGs or any newer 4-digit S&W model, you will not have much to worry about -- unless you like reloads. [8D]

For clearing stovepipes I prefer the "brush" drill -- brush your open hand front to back over the slide -- your hand pushes the case backward hard enough in the port to free and eject itself in one motion. If the slide and spring are too heavy for that, or the case is in too deep to get leverage, a quick tug on the rear of the slide while turning the gun to the starboard side should drop a stovepipe in one motion. Cases jammed in the chamber -- usually reloads -- take a little longer. [;)]

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    DAO revolver[^]

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE