In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

truck rifle rusting up -- which to replace it with

plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Up here where it goes from -40 degrees in the winter up to +110 in the summer creates a real problem with rust on truck rifles.[:0] Even some days it can have a temperature variation of up to 40 degrees one way. Perfect trap for condensation on rifles that are left in the truck (which creates even more temperature variations due to the glass and metal cab)which = rust on a rifle.[:(!][V][:(!][V]

I have decided to get a new rifle, if I can fit the bill, that will avoid or minimize this problem [please don't tell me to oil and clean, because I do]. This would be my skunk, badger, rabbit, fox and an occassional coyote too stupid to stay away from me.[:D]

I have thought about the 22 Hornet, 218 Bee, or fall back to my rifle that I have thousands of rounds of brass for -- the .223 I would choose the 223 hands down, but sometimes the more quiet report of a Hornet would be nice so I don't announce my presence to the entire township.

I am guessing I need something with a synthetic stock, stainless barrel and receiver, and probably a stainless scope.

This truly will be a gun that will take the maximum abuse -- bouncing around in a pickup truck full of moisture from snow and mud. At the same time I don't want to give up accuracy as if you can't hit it why shoot or carry a rifle anyway. Minium maintenace, excellent accuracy, tough as nails, and ready when an opportunity presents itself. I prefer a bolt action as I reload.

So here are the issues for you wise ones to lend me your knowledge:

Which caliber?
Which gun?
Which scope?

If you don't have the answer for all, give me what you do think you have an answer for. Thanks amigos!

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
your walks." Thomas Jefferson

Comments

• n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    I personally like the .22 Hornet, the RUGER 77, all weather stainless is a good value,, a bit heavy but very accurate, Laminated stock, comes with scope rings, I would imagine that it , or any other all weather guns would fill the bill..

eagle.gif
    "It is hard to soar with Eagles when your surrounded by Turkeys"

"I dont care how thin you make a pancake, it still has two sides"

"A wise man is a man that realizes just how little he knows.
    Hudson.gif
    900.gif
  • RugerNinerRugerNiner Member Posts: 12,636 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SKS......7.62x39....10 rounds.
    Easy to load with stripper clips from the top.
    Approx. $130 depending on where you buy.

Jacksonville.gif
    sniper.gif Remember...Terrorist are attacking Civilians; Not the Government. Protect Yourself!
    http://www.awbansunset.com/
    Keep your Powder dry and your Musket well oiled.
    NRA Lifetime Benefactor Member.
  • punchiepunchie Member Posts: 2,792
    edited November -1
    How about one of the NEF Handi-Rifles is stainless w/synthetic stock

Cartoon_truck.gif

AN ARMED SOCIETY IS A POLITE SOCIETY<P>
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    Whichever one you get, if you would have it teflon coated by someone who knows wht thay're doing, barrel, bottom metal, trigger guard, rings and bases, action including the bolt, you could leave it in the truck bed and it won't rust!!!! At least not on the outside! Now exposing the bore to that kind of abuse would probably not be a good thing to do but the teflon will protect!!!! GHD
  • bigtirebigtire Member Posts: 24,800
    edited November -1
    Mosin Nagant M44! Under $50! When it rusts out, replace it with another.

The report will be very loud though. [:0]

From85-01.jpgTosoftair-eagle.jpg
    And everything in between.gun.gif
  • higbeanhigbean Member Posts: 1 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hey, That .17hmr is a heck of a round for a pickup gun. I have seen a Marlin bolt action synthetic and stainless for $170. I use that .17 all the time when my .223 would be a little loud. People think you are just plinking but I have shot jackrabbits and ground squirrels out to 235yards. A lot of farmers around here use the .17 for just that reason and the fact that the 17 grain bullet just disentigrates the moment it hits anything. Any worries of a ricochet are pretty much gone. As far as scopes Leupold has that lifetime warranty that is awful hard to beat. 3x9 vxI? Also check out a big sky rack skybar. Goodluck.
  • deerhntrdeerhntr Member Posts: 1,853 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go with a Ruger 77/22 stainless synthetic in 22 Magnum if Noise is a serious factor when you shoot a critter. The rifle is SUPER well made it should last several life times and comes with one of the strongest scope ring/mount set ups in the Gun Biz IMO. With The ruger you get a lot for the money.I love mine[:D]

use_deer.jpg
  • gap1916gap1916 Member Posts: 4,977
    edited November -1
    SS Mini 14 would fit the bill. [8D] I was having a second thought. I know that can be dangerous. Have you given the 9mm carbine a look?

Greg
    Former
    USMC
    ANGLICO
  • plains scoutplains scout Member Posts: 4,563
    edited November -1
    Thing that I don't like about the 17hmr is the price of the ammo. I reload and love centerfire.

Thought about the Ruger Stainless 22 hornet. Still the .223 is EVERYWHERE and I have three already. I suppose I could down load a few rounds for up close and personal in crowded areas (3 people per sq mile).

Thought about the CZ. Maybe the weatherby or remington. Any opinions on that?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I
    advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives
    boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind. Games played with the
    ball and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no
    character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be the constant companion of
    your walks." Thomas Jefferson
  • offerorofferor Member Posts: 8,625 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I used to carry a Remington 870 in my trunk but it began to oxydize, so I sold it before it got bad. Then I started carrying my M1 carbine (in an inexpensive padded nylon bag) and have had no trouble with rust since then -- yet. Seems to me the .30 carbine would be plenty of gun for the varmints you mention without overkill, and it's light and handy too. I don't think I'd bother scoping it, but if you really want to, there is a mount available. If this is not what YOU need, what the heck, maybe some lurker will find the idea good for their budget...

T. Jefferson: "[When doing Constitutional interpretation], let us [go] back to the time when [it] was adopted. [Rather than] invent a meaning [let us] conform to the probable one in which it was passed."

NRAwethepeople.jpgNRA Life Member fortbutton2.gif
  • idsman75idsman75 Member Posts: 13,398 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check out an SKB "Dry-Tech" soft case. It has desscant packets sewn into the case itself. Toss in an all-weather rifle and it should last you longer.
  • Big Sky RedneckBig Sky Redneck Member Posts: 19,752 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Marlin synthetic/stainless .22 mag with a $30 walmart special scope. 50rds of ammo for around $6.00 and will kill anyting except a bear inside of 150 yds. the .22 mag is the choice of farmers and those who help cull deer(me[:D]) for nightime shooting and not spooking deer. if you plan on shooting bambi just make sure to shoot it in the head!

line2.gif
    email2b.gif
    hillbilly.gif
  • groundhog devastationgroundhog devastation Member Posts: 4,495
    edited November -1
    deerhunter, If you ever had to remachine a Ruger receiver because they did such a p... poor job of machining in their factory so their "little factory supplied" rings would fit you wouldn't be so high up on a damn Ruger!!
    As far as not making noise.....300Whisper suppressed!!! Take it down a notch (had to remachine this one too!!!!) 77/22 Suppressed!!! GHD
  • ruger270manruger270man Member Posts: 9,361 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SKS coated in bedliner. [:D]

GWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifGWB_logo_100.gifErie.gif
    banner-small.jpg
    www.awbansunset.com
  • ndbillyndbilly Member Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    PS - No experience with them but CZ makes a neat little bolt action in 7.62x39. Cheap ammo by the car load. Report might be an issue. As far as a scope goes, how many shots are over 100 yards? You'd be surprised at how well you might be able to shoot with open sights.
  • Rafter-SRafter-S Member Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Quote by deerhntr: I would go with a Ruger 77/22 stainless synthetic in 22 Magnum if Noise is a serious factor when you shoot a critter. The rifle is SUPER well made it should last several life times and comes with one of the strongest scope ring/mount set ups in the Gun Biz IMO. With The ruger you get a lot for the money.I love mine

I second that suggestion.

If you can't spring for the extra money a Ruger costs, my second choice would be the Marlin 882SS. I have both and both are great guns. With the Ruger you get a lot more quality but it don't shoot any better than the Marlin.

My humble 2.5-cents worth,
    Rafter-S
  • Colt SuperColt Super Member Posts: 31,007
    edited November -1
    I like punchie's suggestion - just about any caliber you like. For the scope - probably a Simmons 44 Mag (lifetime warranty).

I'd probably pick .223, if not that, then .22 Mag.

God Bless America and...
    NEVER Forget WACO
    NEVER, EVER Forget 911
  • WagionWagion Member Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What is the budget for this gun?
    DO you want something that if it got stolen out of the truck you would not be out much or do you want a tack driver?

Knowing the answers to those would help I would say anything from a russian surplus m44 or sks to a ss mini 14 ranch or a AR15 varient with a stainless free floating barrel and the whole gun coated with teflon or one of the other super tough coatings that eliminates rust.

Just an example but my truck gun is a Hi-Point 9mm carbine with a 4x scope on it cost $150 for the package it works great out to about 75yards cheap, tough, durable,easily,simple, replaceale but that is going with the theory of a throw away truck gun. if some one stole it o'well I would report it and get another only this time would get a M44 and put a nylon stock on it cut it down to 16 inches get the bolt bent and a scope mount then if it rusted remove all that buy another and swap them out.

If force ain't work'n... Your not use'n nough of it.
    I know the spelling is bad but guess what I DON'T CARE