In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

shooting alone

BigBoreRobBigBoreRob Member Posts: 52 ✭✭
edited February 2004 in General Discussion
Am I the only one that has problems finding friends to shoot with? (and no, its not becaus Im unsafe. I just know someone will bring that up.)It seems latly that everyone is to buisy with famaly and work.
I hate shooting by myself, but there is just not that many people shooting theses days.

Ill never understand why a women would dedicate her entire life to making one man miserable when she could make so many men happy

Comments

• SuspensionSuspension Member Posts: 4,783
    edited November -1
    When I moved I ran into this more. Before I lived fairly close to a few good friends and we constantly shot together. It's sad, but true the sport of shooting is declining.

PS: welcome aboard, cool user name, your profile signature is gonna burn you soon enough....

"A pocket knife, a clean hankey, and a pistol... things I can use." - Ted Nugent
  • Smoky14Smoky14 Member Posts: 531 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I find that I'm usually the only person at the range when I shoot. I try to get there at least once a week, weather permitting, and usually have the range to myself. This is not always bad as quite often when someone does show up they are not schooled in handling of firearms.
    Good shoot'in Smoky

People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid.
  • rldowns3rldowns3 Member Posts: 6,096
    edited November -1
    I think part of it has to do anymore with people not having time the way they used to. Things have gotten a little tighter lately for everybody and I know that I myself am working more to keep my head up above water.

aliens.jpg
  • gskyhawkgskyhawk Member Posts: 4,773
    edited November -1
    shoot all I have to do is walk outside and I don't shoot weeky unless you count the BB gun used on unwelcome cats and dogs! but getting back to the question unless one of my brothers come over or I'm out with one of the kids i always shoot alone
    welcome abroad [:D] its a great place just expect to start spending to much time here [:D][:D]
  • mateomasfeomateomasfeo Member Posts: 27,143
    edited November -1
    I try and time it where I'll be the only one at the range. I am a little paranoid about the * who show up sometimes to shoot. Seen several AD's in my day so I cannot relax when others are present.

Having said that, sometimes the right folks show up and I get to see some interesting guns...

oswald.jpg

Mateomasfeo

"I am what I am!" - Popeye
  • hawkeye6020hawkeye6020 Member Posts: 2,517 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    yup most of the time I go it alone. I work nights so my schedual is different then most of my friends.

"It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others"
  • select-fireselect-fire Member Posts: 69,446 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I seem to shoot better when others are not distracting me.
  • NOSLEEPNOSLEEP Member Posts: 4,526
    edited November -1
    He who goes alone can start today.
    I enjoy shooting alone, no distractions. I welcome the opportunity
    to shoot with friends, time permitting.

Imagination was given to man to compensate him for what he is not,
    and a sense of humor was provided to console him for what he is.
  • Contender ManContender Man Member Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Indoor ranges seem to be drawing in more folks than the outdoor (excluding weather issues) ... lots of activities at the better ranges, shooting leagues, age group competitions, IDPA style contests, etc.

Seeing more familes at the "indoors" ... but they can't replace the outdoor ranges for long guns ...

If you only have time to do two things so-so, or one thing well ... do the one thing!
  • texshootertexshooter Member Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to shoot with my brother only. He is the only one I trust.

National Rifle Association Endowment Member-Texas State Rifle Association Life member
  • PATBUZZARDPATBUZZARD Member Posts: 3,556
    edited November -1
    I like to shoot with my friends if they're available, but I will not pass up a chance to go shooting simply because my friends are unavailable.

May God have mercy upon my enemies, because I won't.
    - General George Patton Jr
  • Cyberdyne systemsCyberdyne systems Member Posts: 427 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy going shooting alone.

"FREEDOM ISNT FREE"
  • fishermanbenfishermanben Member Posts: 15,370
    edited November -1
    I enjoy shooting alone...unless I'm taking youngster's which is the most fun of all. I also always take people who are not familiar with guns or shooting sports so we can obtain new allies.
    Ben
  • n/an/a Member Posts: 168,427
    edited November -1
    From a womans point of view, IF and notice that is a big if, what you believe is in the signature you have in your profile, I can understand why women wouldnt want to go...

cute_skunk.gif

Lil' Stinker's Opinion
  • anderskandersk Member Posts: 3,627 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I enjoy both, but would prefer to go with friends. It is probably safer to shoot with friends but not with kooks. [:D] My friends are not kooks! [:p]
  • pickenuppickenup Member Posts: 22,844 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I try to get lots of people to go. Friends and new shooters alike. I am pretty open as to when I can go, weekdays, weekends, whenever. Seems like they can never find the time to go with me. The wife goes with me about half the time. The rest of the time I am usually alone. Not counting match time. Once in a while I do get someone to go, just not very often.

The gene pool needs chlorine.
  • RUGERGUNZRUGERGUNZ Member Posts: 5,638 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I always go alone. I seem to like shooting more than others I have gone with. After 50 rounds with a .22 they are ready to go home. I like to shoot 500-1000rds of .22 at a time and then take other guns too.

RUGER.jpg

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." -- Sigmund Freud, General Introduction to Psychoanalysis
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to take people who have an interest, but have never shot a gun. I took my family law lawyer friend to the range once and had to help her find a pistol to buy the next day. Two months later she held an intruder at gunpoint in her kitchen. When the cops went to cuff him they found a 12" butcher knife under his shirt. Now she's an attorney for the N.R.A.! Another convert to the cause never hurts!
  • NickCWinterNickCWinter Member Posts: 2,927
    edited November -1
    Prefer alone.
    1) Range to myself
    2) No one waiting while I check out the hits (if any)and mark the target with the system I use to ID distance and firearm.
    3) No self-consciousness
    4) No waiting between mazagines
    5) No loud reports in the next pit in moments when I ease the pressure or heat of my earphones
    6) I can lie to my heart's content about how well I shot.